Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What the 411 on St. George 70.3?
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for St. George. By the profile, looks like an awesome and challenging race.
If you've done this race, can you offer any additional insight?
Also looking for suggestions on places to stay, eat and train.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [eswinner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race 2 years ago, and would love to go back. Its a great race and venue. We stayed just south of the race finish/expo area off of Main. there were several motels there, and It was an easy ride up a couple of blocks to the expo/checkin. There was also a grocery store around the corner so we didn't have to drive a lot. According to my wife, it was rough for spectators to get from the lake back into town because of the traffic.

The bike course has the long climbs that you'd expect, but nothing especially steep. The run is mainly uphill for the first 3 miles, or so, then you're on an open road without shade, which got hot. You u-turn and retrace your steps, but there's a short dogleg with a mile or two to go where you tack on about a tenth of a mile climb before resuming the downhill into town.

We had breakfast the day after the race at Bear Paw Cafe in the downtown square area, and the night of the race had dinner and a drink at The Painted Pony... the food there was average, but Rappstar and a bunch of other pros were there to gawk at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it twice and will be doing it again this year. This is one of my all-time favorite races. The finish line is all an Ironman-branded race is cracked up to be. Feels like the whole town shows up. They have aleviated a few of the traffic concerns for spectators at Sand Hollow with shuttle buses and I believe there is a new road that one can take but don't quote me on that one. My family has always been at the lake and it hasn't been too terrible. The lake and T2 are probably the best spots for your family to see you.

The lake is consistently chilly (typically no warmer than 62) and if the winds are moderate the swim is actually incredibly beautiful. The water is clear and the vistas are postcard-like. One of my favorite swims for sure. However, if there are hard winds, as you may know, this can turn into one of the choppiest swims you'll ever do. So you have to be ready with a strategy for either choppy water or for controlling panic. The course is well marked and there are tons of volunteers so you should be safe. Also, the only warm-up swim you will have is the 100 yard swim to the deep water start.

The bike - this is my favorite part. Sooo challenging but so beautiful. There are rolling hills and more hills. Soon after you leave T1 you are faced with Nemesis, which is a very long hill that can suck you dry if you push too hard. The key feature of the course is going up Snow Canyon, which is not as hard as people make it seem but if you don't deal well with heat the last 2 miles of that 4 mile stretch can be very difficult. It is definitely not a fast bike course so temper your expectations. Train in heat if you can and definitely train for hills. Snow Canyon is miles 40-44, so train for a hard effort later on the bike.

The run - this is brutal. There is no other word for this course. Brutal. The first three miles are uphill with miles 1.5-3 being almost straight uphill. It is no joke. Then after that you are rolling, never flat. Also, NO SHADE. Chances are it will be a hot day, although who knows what mother nature will do in St. George. If it is a hot day this becomes super challenging. Train hills at the end of long workouts and, if you can, train in heat. At a minimum turn off that fan during your treadmill and trainer workouts. Run fitness is key for this race.

As to where to eat I second the Bear Paw recommendation. As to where to stay I don't know because I have family that lives right on the course so I have never had to look for a place to stay.

One of the coolest things about the race is the number of Pro's that compete. The field is so deep it's like "Little Kona". So the Pro sightings during the week and out on the race course are a very cool component of this race. I really think you picked a good one and I wish you luck in your training.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great race. Extremely tough. Most daunting run I have ever experienced. I felt the swim was warmer than any we have had in Canada.

Great people, great course, great race.
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [kscheiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The others summed it up well. Amazing race. The swim is awesome. The bike is a beast, but the run is just plain brutal. However, totally worth down if you are prepared. I will go back another year, it's just too close to IMTX for me this year.

http://www.runandtrimommy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [klimb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this race 2 years ago and am signed up for this year. My absolute favorite race for all of the reasons others have mentioned. It's true that the run is absolutely soul crushing -- don't expect to set a PR.

Regarding by bike, make sure you have the gearing to make it up Snow Canyon -- I saw lots of people were pushing their bikes.

I would also suggest a neoprene cap and booties for the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic Venue, Fantastic Community, and I wish Ironman would bring back the full. This was by far my favorite full IM out of those that I have completed. The course kicked my butt, but it was such an amazing place to race. I put the St. George Full course on par with IM Canada in Penticton.

When you are there, take the drive up to Veyo and get some pie at Veyo Pies. One of the best pies on the planet.

The Running Squatch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race for all the reasons posted. I raced it the last two years and I'm racing this year too. Since I race Oside in March the water temp is kinda normal for a spring race to me, around 60. Both the bike and run have hills so work on that or it's going to be a long day.

The wild card is weather, lots of locals post on here so you can get some good info. The last two years it been warm to hot but it's Spring in the desert so expect anything. And it can be windy...very windy.

The town does a great job with endurance events and the race is very well run. Lodging, eats are reasonable and Zion is just down the road.

One thing I really like about this race is most of the bike course we get a side of the road or at least a lane for us....run too.

One more thing, it's beautiful.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody know if this race usually sells out?

How are the accommodations?
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know if this race usually sells out?

How are the accommodations?
---------
I don't think it sold out last year, it might have in 2013 but late if at all.

Lots of places to stay. I just booked the Hampton Inn $129, it's a couple of miles from the Expo/finish.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believed it sold out the last month or so before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in as well, and looking forward to our first Racecation in Utah! Based on this thread, I'm expecting anything on the swim, a tough bike and a brutal run. Sounds perfect!

We're staying at the Inn at Entrada before the race and Zion Lodge after. We've identified a few good hikes in Zion to loosen up the legs, and plan to strap me to a pack mule for a short tour of the park on horseback. Looks like we should hit the Bear Paw for some chow, and Veyo for some pies.

All: Please chime in if you have suggestions on how to enhance our stay. I'm particularly interested in any input on positioning race support for the day, and suggestions on shuttling from Entrada to T1.

Thanks!

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should probably just drive down to the center of SG, and hop on the shuttle that goes to T1. That way you can just walk back to your car after the race. 95% of participants will use the shuttle buses, it's very well organized and makes it very easy.

Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Please chime in if you have suggestions on how to enhance our stay. I'm particularly interested in any input on positioning race support for the day, and suggestions on shuttling from Entrada to T1.

Cobble wrote:
You should probably just drive down to the center of SG, and hop on the shuttle that goes to T1. That way you can just walk back to your car after the race. 95% of participants will use the shuttle buses, it's very well organized and makes it very easy.

Thanks, that makes sense. What about race support (wife and two kids -12/10)? Is spectator access in and out of T1 reasonable? I see there is spectator parking on Sand Hollow Road, and spectator shuttles into the park. Does that all work well? Or, is there a good spot elsewhere on the course where they should set up for the day? They are a veteran crew, so comfort and convenience is the priority (short of sitting by the pool with IronTrac).

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Please chime in if you have suggestions on how to enhance our stay. I'm particularly interested in any input on positioning race support for the day, and suggestions on shuttling from Entrada to T1.

Cobble wrote:

Thanks, that makes sense. What about race support (wife and two kids -12/10)? Is spectator access in and out of T1 reasonable? I see there is spectator parking on Sand Hollow Road, and spectator shuttles into the park. Does that all work well? Or, is there a good spot elsewhere on the course where they should set up for the day? They are a veteran crew, so comfort and convenience is the priority (short of sitting by the pool with IronTrac).

Scott

I have done St George the past 5 years. My family loved the full as it gave them time to see the bike after the swim. It is a challenge to get from the lake back to center of town to see any of the bike. It also does not allow them any time to eat or get a snack. The run course is not spectator friendly as it heads out of town really. My wife family stays right by T2 to see me off the bike and remind me not to quite during the run (as I want to every year) as it is brutal for the first 3-4 miles. Once you get past mile 4 you feel like you are really done and the rest will be easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eswinner wrote:
I'm signed up for St. George. By the profile, looks like an awesome and challenging race.
Thanks.
Here's something I wrote for Ironman.com - hopefully it helps. Best of luck in the race.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eswinner wrote:
Thanks.
Here's something I wrote for Ironman.com - http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz3WaaGG2GW

Hopefully it helps. Best of luck in St George!

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike and Skibumm for the suggestions and the great write up. Anyone know what it's like the day before getting to T1 to drop off bikes? Any traffic? This race seems logistically challenging.
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [Suckafish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suckafish wrote:
Thanks Mike and Skibumm for the suggestions and the great write up. Anyone know what it's like the day before getting to T1 to drop off bikes? Any traffic? This race seems logistically challenging.
Actually this race is about as simple as it gets for us because it is so well organized. Yes you'll need to get registered first in the town center, and drop your bike off at T1 and your run gear at T2. But on race day it's very simple, you just show up in the town and hop on the bus and that's it. I've done it twice, once as 140.6 and once as 70.3 and both times it was very easy. Just read the athlete's guide and do what it says.

Not sure what you mean by 'any traffic' when dropping your bike off. YOu'll be driving on the freeway and then entering the park, it's probably gonna be a little slow to enter the park but nothing that will slow you down for more than 5 minutes. There's plenty of parking.

Quote | Reply
Mike Ricci wrote:
Here's something I wrote for Ironman.com - http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz3WaaGG2GW

"The first 2.5 miles are comparatively easy, because you are mostly on a slight uphill/flat with some tree coverage as you head towards Red Hills Parkway"

Ha, ha, ha, ha. This sounds counter to what others have said. I can't wait for this race!
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's deceptively hard. One man's 'relatively easy' may be another man's 'oh crap, this sucks!'.

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: What the 411 on St. George 70.3? [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
Mike Ricci wrote:

"The first 2.5 miles are comparatively easy, because you are mostly on a slight uphill/flat with some tree coverage as you head towards Red Hills Parkway"

Ha, ha, ha, ha. This sounds counter to what others have said. I can't wait for this race!

Mike's description is right on. Except that he should have added that by the time you get to the bottom of Red Cliffs and are looking up at that hill you start to seriously ponder on the meaning of life as your life flashes in front of your eyes.

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Ricci wrote:
I think it's deceptively hard. One man's 'relatively easy' may be another man's 'oh crap, this sucks!'.

Mike, can you explain the change to the run course this year and how it affects the loops that we do on Pioneer Park. Do we do that dog leg off of 200 before the Pioneer Park loop or after? And are we only doing the Pioneer Park loop once this time? Can you explain the change?

------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Ricci wrote:
eswinner wrote:
Thanks.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the write-up. I'm really excited to race St. George!

I'm intrigued by your perspective about pushing the flats and climbs on the bike and recovering on the descents. Can you illustrate what a plan might look like as a %FTP?

Scott
Quote Reply

Prev Next