Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What size 1x front chain ring
Quote | Reply
What size should I use for my 1x 50 or 52?

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: What size 1x front chain ring [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot more detail is required to know the "answer" to that.

This link will help you figure it out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your rear cassette options and how flat the terrain you typicaly ride would be. A 50x11 is kinda small for a tail wind or sustained downhill, but a 52 is going to hurt if you have something to climb and are limited to a 28 or 29 because you have a short cage derailleur.

Go look at the 3t 1x bike. If you could do their 9-40 rear cassette you actually probably would do best with a 48 or smaller on the front. They interviewed Vroomen on a recent episode of the GCN show and he talks about their 1x gearing for ProTour use. If I remember correctly their go-to front is a 48.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends! I used a 50 the last two seasons but went with a 52 for this year because I might be doing some races with some hills and I don’t want to max out on 32 mph with the 50/11. But will probably have to get a new 11/32 cassette just to make sure I don’t grind up any hills in races.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What size 1x front chain ring [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
It depends! I used a 50 the last two seasons but went with a 52 for this year because I might be doing some races with some hills and I don’t want to max out on 32 mph with the 50/11.

You can't pedal over 90 rpm?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
What size should I use for my 1x 50 or 52?

If you toss out some of your recent bike split times for specific races that question would be easier to answer.

Keep in mind the two guys above Gary P's post have pro cards and may not be super relevant to us mortals. I'm usually low 2:20's in a 70.3 and use a 50 up front. I barely pedal once into the low 30mph range, so may even be able to drop down to a 48 with no noticeable difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go big or go home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What size 1x front chain ring [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can but spinning at 100+ for me gets sketchy downhill. On the flats not a big deal but downhill I’d rathe stay around 90-95 if possible. As you might tell I don’t get to ride hills very often!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply