Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike.
Quote | Reply
Who and what's​ there reasoning?
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode with a pro a couple of weeks ago and we talked about this, as another pro riding with us had forgotten to charge a di2 battery and was without a FD and then RD for half the ride. The mechanical pro just trusted mechanical shifting more. That's all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Who and what's​ there reasoning?
Quite a few. Some don't get free stuff, some stay with what they are used to, and so,e don't want to worry about charging.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add to the fact that being from the old school...I missed the crispness and sound of using the stickshift. I tried ultegra DI and hated it....I mean it is pretty cool...hearing that zhhuuuht...and shift.
But personally I like the touch and hearing everything sync into place when I shift...which I also miss from the downtube shifters that were more joyous to operate than index shifting.
Electronic...I won't say never...but not right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some Fred called Vincenzo Nibali does. I think he's won a few 3 week races with it too...
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heather Jackson.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I rode with a pro a couple of weeks ago and we talked about this, as another pro riding with us had forgotten to charge a di2 battery and was without a FD and then RD for half the ride. The mechanical pro just trusted mechanical shifting more. That's all.

My current standing rule is: "Never rely on a battery for function on a bicycle" :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure Alberto Contador rides mechanical or at least did last year. Heard he likes the reliability and feel of it.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
My current standing rule is: "Never rely on a battery for function on a bicycle" :-)

Mine too.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  With as much as I forget to charge my bike computer, garmin, ipod, and cell phone I wouldn't want to depend on a charged battery for my bike to function.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Mar 22, 17 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42x16ss wrote:
Some Fred called Vincenzo Nibali does. I think he's won a few 3 week races with it too...

He rode mechanical when he was with Campagnolo teams, a lot of guys select mechanical Campy over EPS.

His new bike, with Bahrain-Merida, has electronic di2.
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Mine too.

But then, without one, how would the hidden motor work?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually had a chance to speak with one of the local pro cyclist in my area or should I say originally from my area. He said that a couple of his teammates have gone back from di2 to Mechanical after issues last year. Before everyone starts asking you what issues he didn't clarify and we did not have a long in-depth conversation
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perpetual motion machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. Because I ride 1X. But I'm the only SRAM triathlete to exclusively ride 1X. Three other SRAM athletes are on RED mechanical (at least according to their press release): https://www.sram.com/...cked-2017-tri-roster

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: What pro's still Ride a mechanical bike. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that not 100% of the women using eTAP...because I do believe that "electronic shifting" was one of "God's" greatest gifts to women...lol
Quote Reply