Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What makes a faster run from T1 & T2?
Quote | Reply
I've heard this referred to whole bunch of times in different ways. Even as a sale pitch for bike frames, helmets or wheels; however I've never really thought about it. I think as triathletes we really get caught up in viewing triathlon as 3 separate sports when it is not... or at least I do. For example, the fastest bike split theoretically will be done ( engine aside ) from the most aerodynamic setup but it is not practical. I guess there is give and take where the weight of benefit is greater than the drawback. Wearing an aero helmet will make you sweat more, and heat up your body but the time savings depending on length of course is worth it.

So getting back to my question, what should be considered during swimming and cycling to improve run performance?
Last edited by: Noof: Aug 21, 14 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [Noof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So getting back to my question, what should be considered during swimming and cycling improve run performance?

Proper race execution during those disciplines.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not having a wonky position that's super-aero but destroys your lower back and hamstrings is one way.
For the swim, not kicking like a 50 freestyler would be the main thing I could think of apart from the more generic post above of "proper execution."

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev Paul is the master of fast Transitions.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noof wrote:
Wearing an aero helmet will make you sweat more, and heat up your body

This is not necessarily true. A study at UT Austin did not find either to be the case

Quote:
So getting back to my question, what should be considered during swimming and cycling to improve run performance?

Don't bike too hard on race day.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learn to run well while barefooted and pushing a bike with 1 hand. Learn to calmly get your wetsuit off with no hands while putting on your helmet and glasses. In T1 in my last 2 70.3 I've made up over 20 seconds on my competition. That's equal to 1s per 100y in swim pace. 20s puts you at the edge of visual range on some bike courses if you're racing head to head with someone else. Let's not talk about my T2 execution at those same races... eek!

Otherwise good pacing and nutrition strategy will determine how you run.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably the same as a cooling vest doesn't cool you but can increase performance?

Is the study publically available?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noof wrote:
Probably the same as a cooling vest doesn't cool you but can increase performance?

Is the study publically available?

There was no difference in performance:

http://www.researchgate.net/...a_traditional_helmet

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can agree about biking too hard. I over cooked the bike at my only race this year and I paid for it on the run. I did the bike 2 minutes harder than I did in training (TT on the course 2 times before the race). After swimming as fast I did, I should have been around 35 minutes on the bike but not 33 minutes. I could really tell on the run.

Transitions are where I excel. I passed 15 people in transition with only 3 passing me on the bike and another 5 passing me on the run while I was trying to recover for the over cooked bike.

T1 - sunglasses, helmet, bike and gone. Shoes are always on the bike and leveled with elastics. 1min max

T2 - leave shoes on the bike, bike away, helmet down, runners on and everything else goes on as I am running. 1.5 to 2 min max.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll add one for folks not comfortable with mounting their bike with shoes pre-clipped. I've done this three times in three different tris:

• Come into T1, throw down wetsuit, goggles and cap
  • Put on helmet (glasses are on the handlebars around the cables to stay in place)
  • Grab cycling shoes and bike and run out of transition barefoot
  • Stop at the mount line just long enough to put on shoes w/o closing straps
  • Get on bike by clipping in on one side, swinging the other leg over to the other pedal, clip in and be gone like the wind

Coming back to T2:

• Undo shoe straps while on bike and slip feet out, placing them on top of shoes. Keep pedaling to the dismount line
  • At dismount line, hop off the bike and run barefoot with bike into T2
  • Rack bike, put on running shoes, grab race belt (I don't wear a hat) and bolt like lightning

Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is basically my T2 as well. Lost my shoe last race though but I should has slowed down a bit as I hit the line still going about 16kph. A bit fast.

Transitions are where I pass so many people. It was funny because the guy that was first out of our lane and was the third (and last) to pass me on the bike, said "how the hell did you get in front of me?" He swam a minute faster than me but did not catch me on the bike until around 15km in.

Train for transitions people.
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 21, 14 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, ha. You used the old flux capacitor time travel trick to get in front of said guy. Should be in every triathlete's special needs bag.

You said it about train for transitions. Just going w/o socks shaved two to three minutes off my T1, and my feet did just fine on the bike and run. Though, I did practice a lot going w/o socks before my next race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I can agree about biking too hard. I over cooked the bike at my only race this year and I paid for it on the run. I did the bike 2 minutes harder than I did in training (TT on the course 2 times before the race). After swimming as fast I did, I should have been around 35 minutes on the bike but not 33 minutes. I could really tell on the run.

Transitions are where I excel. I passed 15 people in transition with only 3 passing me on the bike and another 5 passing me on the run while I was trying to recover for the over cooked bike.

T1 - sunglasses, helmet, bike and gone. Shoes are always on the bike and leveled with elastics. 1min max

T2 - leave shoes on the bike, bike away, helmet down, runners on and everything else goes on as I am running. 1.5 to 2 min max.

As usual, I do it all wrong. Put feet in water bucket, put socks on, put shoes on and run in them, both T1 and T2. If I do not have the fastest T1 and T2, I am in the top few. And this does not count
the folks I pass going out of T1 trying to get their feet into the shoes, or pass going into T2 trying to keep they feet on top of their shoes.

There is more than one way to have fast T times. As I always say, it is not what folks say they do, it is what there real times, compared to other racers in the same race, are.

Look at folks race results compared to their process and make your own decision.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just need to find some shoes that are good without socks. I tested it 5 days out from my race on a 5km run and had 5 blisters so I did put socks on in my last race but was still much faster because of elastic laces and baby powder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I just need to find some shoes that are good without socks. I tested it 5 days out from my race on a 5km run and had 5 blisters so I did put socks on in my last race but was still much faster because of elastic laces and baby powder.

Elastic laces were key for me. Always had one of the fastest T1's and one of the slowest T2's until I got them and now luckily my T2 is up to par.

As for blisters I usually don't have any problems with my regular running shoes but what about Zoot shoes or something of the like? I figure being triathlon-specific maybe they'd be better in that regard.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Learn to run well while barefooted and pushing a bike with 1 hand.

THIS. Push the bike by the saddle, don't pull by the handlebars. And don't have it running all over the plus running into everyone possible, keep it under control. Plus you just look so pro calmly pushing your bike through transition like it's an extension of your body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:

I use 2013 Newton Distance S. I didn't even use speed laces. Just laced them up w/o socks, took them off, put body glide and a bit of body lotion inside the collar. Shoes went on lickety split and felt awesome during the 6 mi jaunt of my last Olympic. In training, up to an eight mile run, I go w/o socks in a 2011 Newton Distance S. I use green Superfeet in both shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think everyone missed the question. The OP asked how to swim and bike so that you run quickly. Not how to transition quickly.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: What makes a faster run from T1 & T2? [CobraKai Triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, 'Johnny.' :) Got detoured.

To the OP - swim and bike conservatively. Don't crush the bike or you will get crushed by the run. Happens every race where some redline the swim and bike, then fade spectacularly on the run.
Quote Reply