Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What it's like to do the Chicago triathlon on a bike-share bike
Quote | Reply
http://www.chicagomag.com/...016/Divvy-triathlon/

There’s no way to attach aerobars to a Divvy. How do you compensate?
You don’t, really. You just embrace the fact that you’re on a 40-pound bike. The handlebars are big and wide, so I would kind of rest my arms on them.
Quote Reply
Re: What it's like to do the Chicago triathlon on a bike-share bike [lseemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect easier than doing IM Nice on one......

Quote Reply
Re: What it's like to do the Chicago triathlon on a bike-share bike [lseemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like fun and a great way to promote cycling as a mode of transportation through the city. The good news is that the bike course is fairly short and flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the comment that made me LOL.

Last year the Divvy wave started last. Did you end up passing non-Divvy riders who had started ahead of you?
I think I did. I felt really bad. I’m here on this 40-pound bike and they’re on a regular bike. It was kind of fun to ring the bell as I passed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL I want to try this in a local tri. Visualizing passing someone on a CF bike and ringing the bell.... okay definitely trying this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is so hardcore... I love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw someone sort of grasping the basket in sort of a dangerous aero position.

Overall doing a tri on a share bike sounds like doing a whole race on a uphill course.
Quote Reply
Re: What it's like to do the Chicago triathlon on a bike-share bike [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A dissenting view is that riding a bike like this (1) makes a mockery of the efforts of competitors that get passed, and (2) is a "look at me. I'm so special" kind of move.

There was an article last year about a guy doing a full IM on a fatbike. Every major running race has some DB running in a dress suit, juggling balls or otherwise screaming out for attention. If you are so special, nut up and win your AG.
Quote Reply
Re: What it's like to do the Chicago triathlon on a bike-share bike [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
A dissenting view is that riding a bike like this (1) makes a mockery of the efforts of competitors that get passed, and (2) is a "look at me. I'm so special" kind of move.

There was an article last year about a guy doing a full IM on a fatbike. Every major running race has some DB running in a dress suit, juggling balls or otherwise screaming out for attention. If you are so special, nut up and win your AG.

Lighten up Poon. Some of us are racing to have fun and yes some people find getting attention to be fun. If they have a division for Share Bikes, then it seems acceptable to ride them in the race.
Quote Reply
Re: What it's like to do the Chicago triathlon on a bike-share bike [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
while I generally agree with the sentiment, I'm pretty sure Chicago Tri sanctions a wave for these bikes. I don't think OP did anything obnoxious in this case or did it explicitly to be an ass.

But for sure, people that run marathons while doing stupid human tricks or practicing their cross fit skills (saw some guy carrying a tire at one recently?) need to "nut up" lol or get training. People invent ways to distort any direct comparison on the clock to their peers as a way to still feel special.

Same type of people in college that would brag about getting a BC on an exam because they didn't even have to study...
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: Aug 29, 16 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: What it's like to do the Chicago triathlon on a bike-share bike [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just have a pet peeve for the constant publicity and attention seeking that comes from these stunts. Every time I read a magazine like Runner's World, there is a story about someone that is the first to run a marathon in every time zone, or in every week of the year, or while blindfolded, eating a pizza, etc.

That noted, I am a fan of Beer Miles, which officially incorporate a second activity in the competition.

I will "lighten up" now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Chicago Triathlon has a Divy bike wave. And if I am remembering correctly the guy who did IM Wisconsin on the fat bike was raising money for charity. I just don't get the outrage at people doing something different as long as they aren't hurting other racers. If they start interfering with others then yes, they need to get the hell off the course! But if they aren't then, to me, they are more than welcome to race/participate/mock the field.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not a Vodka mile? 10 shots every lap?

Is that attention seeking?

What's the difference to jugging beer?

I think if people need a personal challenge, and it is withing the rules, more power to them.

My personal challenge is to "race" at 80% of race speed and see how many I can beat.... I particularly like whistling tunes on the bike and during the run... drives people nuts!

I am such an attention whore!!!

Poon wrote:
I just have a pet peeve for the constant publicity and attention seeking that comes from these stunts. Every time I read a magazine like Runner's World, there is a story about someone that is the first to run a marathon in every time zone, or in every week of the year, or while blindfolded, eating a pizza, etc.

That noted, I am a fan of Beer Miles, which officially incorporate a second activity in the competition.

I will "lighten up" now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lseemann wrote:
http://www.chicagomag.com/...016/Divvy-triathlon/

There’s no way to attach aerobars to a Divvy. How do you compensate?
You don’t, really. You just embrace the fact that you’re on a 40-pound bike. The handlebars are big and wide, so I would kind of rest my arms on them.

Oh, no! Now you're on ST! I could see Dugas as a triathlete, but now Heck and Feinberg...are you next? Time for a CX-style tri at Montrose Harbor...;)

-Pete

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeez, that looks like the same model that we have in the London bike rental scheme, I think they're called "Bixi Bikes".

They're fine to tool around on, but they weigh over 20 kg (or 40 lbs) and you have to accept the fact that they only go 8-10 mph and no matter how hard your push it, they really don't like to go any faster! The saddles are absolutely awful as well, I definitely would not want to be spending >30 mins on one of those!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

I will "lighten up" now.

The Beer Mile will help you lighten up. Good move.
A few years I was racing in a small, local, marathon on trails. It was the kind of race that should have people in costumes. I was wearing my club tri kit and not having a good race. I got dropped by my training partners/pacers, got chicked, did some walking, realized I would have my personal worst time. Then I saw this guy coming up on me wearing a pink tutu, pink tights and a feather boa and I found my motivation. My goal was not to get passed by a clown. I was successful, but there is a pink blur in my finisher photo.
Poon, I would have same attitude as you if I didn't hold of the pink tutu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

^^ This guy must have gotten passed by a guy on a city bike while he was in a dress suit, juggling balls, and chugging a beer.
Quote Reply