Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is wrong with my fit?????
Quote | Reply
Posting links to two youtube videos that I made today. How about my saddle height? Fore/aft??

I realize that my flexibility is crumby, but after I began running 50 and 100 mile races I just don't sit the same on my bike and now I am having pains from riding.

I really love riding and if I had more time I would ride more, but running has been 85% of my workouts for the last few years (I also love running).

What do you think about my position on this road bike??

First vid is from the front. Failed to mute the music that was playing so you may want to mute before playing.
Second vid is from the side.

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be
Last edited by: xsive: Jul 24, 14 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditch the untz untz untz music

looks like your toe pointing, lower the saddle...

Confirmed, seat too high...

You look very upright, if you care about speed lose the spacers under the stem, perhaps a longer stem but its hard to tell from your video. Need to see all of you, unless you look like sloth from the Goonies, then please hide your face.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Last edited by: warwicke36: Jul 24, 14 15:25
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was slammed on the steer tube but I felt like I was reaching too far so I added the spacers underneath the stem.

My stem is 90mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I notice is that on a trainer I feel super stretched out.. then when I get on the road I feel great. To me you look upright, I would lose a spacer or 2 and give it a good long road test or 2. Then re adjust. I ALWAYS want to be lowers on the road than on the trainer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than toeing down, what makes you say that my saddle is too high?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The toe point IS the indicator.

It means loss of power. Some toe point is natural and ok. Yours looks about double what I understand is ok. I'd drop the saddle 1-2 cm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take this for what its worth but my bike doesn't feel the same on the trainer as on the road. If it feels good on the road, thats where you want it to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:

It means loss of power. Some toe point is natural and ok. Yours looks about double what I understand is ok. I'd drop the saddle 1-2 cm

not proclaiming to be a fit expert, but I think those are would disagree with you there. Lowering his saddle wouldn't necessarily make him point his toes less. He most likely would just look like he's riding a clown bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for getting lower, and if going lower means you feel scrunched up then you'll need to go longer as well. You look really upright, you're going to be a sail on the road sitting up that much.
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I respectfully disagree. His knee angle looks good but with too much toe point. With proper toe point his knee angle will be too straight. Therefor with proper toe angle seat must come down. I'm no expert either but this one seems clear to me. Seat down. Bars down. Bars more than seat and potentially longer stem. He can do what he wants I don't have to ride it :)

If the toe point is his natural riding style it is something to work on to achieve more power. At least in my crude understanding of pedal biomechanics. If he chose to change that mechanic the seat must come down or the knee angle will be too steep.

Last edited by: warwicke36: Jul 24, 14 16:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your seat is way too low (given your toe point). From the video, I measure it at 119deg (140-150 is the typical fit range). For contrast, when you are pedaling out of the saddle (i.e. your body isn't constrained) your knee angle is 147deg.

The toe point is common with older runners with tight calves/Achilles. I've found that too much point and a lower saddle leads to kneecap pain.

Your saddle is quite low and far back (you are sitting squarely in your sit bones, with very little pelvic rotation). The result is a very high position, since it requires quite a bit of bending to get low up front.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your seat height looks ok I might actually go up a cm or so. The toe pointing is not because of seat height in this case but it is not good. I think a longer stem and sliding the seat fore a bit would help the toe thing and stretch you out a bit. Don't lock out your elbows when riding either.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle is so low he's practically crapping in the seat tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:

This is a very good indicator for a road fit. But sometimes, it just means the rider has tight hamstrings. On a tri-bike, as the rider moves forward (rotates around the bottom bracket), it's natural for the toe to point down.

Haven't looked at the video yet, so you could very well be right about the saddle height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, consider the degree of contradiction in the responses so far.

Second, just go to a reputable fitter in your city. You will get far closer to an optimal fit face to face than on a messageboard; even if your adviser was an expert in each case. It's money well spent. The Kinetic trainer cost enough to justify getting a fit, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't watch your fit video but running tightness your hamstrings and calves and low back ( posterior chain) so if you run Alot it is hard to get your bike position feeling comfortable.

Add some posterior strength to you can lengthen out...

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Saddle is so low he's practically crapping in the seat tube.

Defecating in the seat tube? I do agree though, saddle is low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To summarise the posts above:

1. Your seat is too high.
2. Your seat is too low.

To my mind your seat looks a little too low as your knees don't look extended enough at the bottom. Save yourself the time and uncertainty and just go get a fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I re watched the video and agree. Seat is actually likely low and the toe point is something else. My mistake. Disregard my advice. I'm going to go bury my head in sand. I should have looked a little closer. That damn techno music threw me off my game or that's the excuse I'll use.

I agree with the get a good fit from a fitter. You look to have for bio mechanical issues than the average rider.

Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
To summarise the posts above:

1. Your seat is too high.
2. Your seat is too low.

To my mind your seat looks a little too low as your knees don't look extended enough at the bottom. Save yourself the time and uncertainty and just go get a fitting.

heh, good summary :)

I am in the seat too low camp as well.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there should be a sticky post with a set of rules for "critique my fit" pics and video:

- wear a jersey. no one wants to see your sweaty torso. unless you are female.

- turn off the music

- clean up your garage / basement first (or paint the side of your house, pull up the weeds, etc. if you're outside)

- turn on the lights, so people can see you

- if you're going to post multiple pics/videos, take from the same position and have some kind of reference point for comparison

- get your whole body & bike in the picture. cutting off your head doesn't help, unless there's a good reason for people not to see it.

what else?
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately, I already made another vid without a jersey. Why sweat in a clean jersey just to have to wash it?

The garage is always a work in progress (isn't that true for most American males?).

Here is today's video:

Changes made in this vid:
1) Saddle raised 1.5cm. I was at 67.5 and this video is at 69.0 (saddle pad to center of BB).

2) Saddle moved forward 1cm.

3) Stem moved down 5mm.

In today's position, it's pretty clear that I need a longer stem, but that's an easy fix (I have 100, 110, and 120 already). The bike is setup now with a 90mm stem.

Am I still too high and too low at the same time???????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You haven't been fit.

Once you have been fit, you can always come back and ask what's wrong with your fit.
because it doesn't work when you race for the following reasons..........
As this is a Tri Forum, most would have no idea how to fit for a comfortable, commuter position.
Quote Reply
Re: What is wrong with my fit????? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been fit three times over five months. All of the fits caused some problem either in my knee, ankle, or foot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretch more, use rollers on your calves and hamstrings and take up yoga.

I thought your set looked a little low as well. You seem to have a lot of bend in your knees.

You might try another video where you stop with the pedal down and level out your foot to see how much bend you have in your knee. This would help to determine more effectively if your saddle needs adjusting up or down.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply

Prev Next