Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is going on? Low HR high PE on the bike.
Quote | Reply
I was looking for some advice. I just did a filed LT test on a spin bike. I have a really hard time getting my HR up compared to running. My legs always get tired and burn even at a low HR. My LT HR for running is about 172(field test only), But my average for this test was 142 for the 20mins, with a max HR of 159. My PE was in line with what I was suppose to be doing according to the test.The test was done on an old spin bike.
I bought a training plan from Sufferfest, here is the LT test I did. I actually warmed up about 10 more mins ofeasy spin at the start.

3:00 Warm-up at effort of 2/10
3:00 3/10 Warm-up
3:00 4/10 Getting warmer!
3:00 5/10 Warmer still!
3:00 6/10 Tempo
3:00 7/10 Strong effort
3:00 2/10 Recovery
4 x 1:00 Fast pedal with 1:00 recovery
3:00 Recovery at 2/10
20:00 Pain, agony, misery and FTP
3:00 Cool-down!

Im 38, have been doing OD triathlons for 2 years with a PR of 2:29. and my half marathon PR is 1:44, to give you an idea of my fitness level.

I would like to know Why is my HR so hard to get up? Should I use the 142 as my LT# to determine the zones for the training plan? It seem like my go all day PE and zone is around 125BPM, but then a harder PE i would say is my Tempo effort is only about 5 or 6 BPM higher.

Finally if this is a problem, Id really like to know hp to fix it.

Thanks
Scott
Quote Reply
Re: What is going on? Low HR high PE on the bike. [ScottyRamone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion is by no means an expert one, but I'd chalk your dilemma up to individual differences. Some people's spectrums of HR values during exercise are just high/low for no real reason.

I'd set your threshold heart rate for the Sufferefest videos to be in line with what you experienced during your LT test.
Setting it to 170bpm would be pointless and you'd just burn out.
Last edited by: Liaman: May 5, 15 3:34
Quote Reply
Re: What is going on? Low HR high PE on the bike. [ScottyRamone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any way you can quantify the work done on the spin bike and compare it to other workouts? Speed at a consistent/specific tension?
Have you done this test before?
Are you new to training on the bike?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its the same thing for me. I can get my HR into the 180s pretty easily while running, but TrainerRoad generally suggests a LTHR in the low 140s after doing a 20 minute FTP test.

The PE and power numbers are where I expect them to be so I just accepts that my HR is lower and don't worry about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the same way. Did a 20-minutes FTP test. Averaged 145bpm max. 152bpm at 295W NP. I also have a low avg. HR of about 31bpm (rested, taken before I get out of bed in the morning).

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your pumper might be a little bigger than other people.
Last edited by: triordie1994: May 5, 15 5:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can I ask what your "red herring" cadence is on the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scotty,

The heart rate you'll be able to attain on the bike will increase as your bike specific fitness increases. Over time as you build muscle, mitochondria within the muscles, blood vessels and coordination specific to cycling you will see the difference between your run and bike hearts decrease. Athletes that are pretty much strictly bikers often can get their heart rates as high on the bike as on the run.

So the up shot is to work hard on the bike training.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you have a HUGE fan on you for the LT test? You need one for an inside LT test on the bike.

What was your fatigue level (training in the past week or so relative to the previous 2 months or so, recent sleep, nutrition, etc.)

Did you do any hard or long training sessions within a few day prior to the test?

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: What is going on? Low HR high PE on the bike. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Is there any way you can quantify the work done on the spin bike and compare it to other workouts? Speed at a consistent/specific tension?
Have you done this test before?
Are you new to training on the bike?

jaretj

Just other work outs on this same bike. IT has no computer, and is not the most well maintained. But the PE and HR seem consistent. PEis pretty high, then i look at my HR and it lows, compared to my same PE for running. I have been biking for about 2 years now, but not much since last Jan, as I am deployed and only have use of this spin bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What is going on? Low HR high PE on the bike. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
can I ask what your "red herring" cadence is on the bike?

Sure, and I will tell you, as soon as you tell me what Red Herring Cadence is? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cadence is a "red herring", however, if you are trying to push a really low cadence for an ftp test, I would guess that might lead to decreased HR as well as decreased power(even though effort will feel like it is not). put it this way, if you were trying to push a 100x11 gear(obviously completely made up) you are not going to get very far and your HR is going nowhere above your resting rate.

my power and HR go up with higher cadence(personal) I don't do vo2 intervals at 70 rpm, I do them at 100-110 when I do them
Last edited by: jeffp: May 5, 15 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: What is going on? Low HR high PE on the bike. [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMyBest wrote:
Did you have a HUGE fan on you for the LT test? You need one for an inside LT test on the bike.

What was your fatigue level (training in the past week or so relative to the previous 2 months or so, recent sleep, nutrition, etc.)

Did you do any hard or long training sessions within a few day prior to the test?

No Fan, I was outside, and it was about 82, and humid. I did 3 runs and 2 other sufferfest workouts, and 2 weight training sessions the week prior. 24 hours before the test I did an easy 15km run, but it was very hot. About 90. But that is a pretty normal week for me the last 2 months. Im under a bit off stress with my job, as I am deployed. Sleep is usually not bad, and my nutrition is pretty good as well.

I just find it odd, I would think that if my legs are burning then the opposite would happen and my HR would high? I guess that is because when I do speed work while running, my legs brun and I'm in Z5.
Quote Reply
Re: What is going on? Low HR high PE on the bike. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like i said there is no computer on this bike, but im pretty sure I am around 90-95 cadence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottyRamone wrote:
TriMyBest wrote:

No Fan, I was outside, and it was about 82, and humid. I did 3 runs and 2 other sufferfest workouts, and 2 weight training sessions the week prior. 24 hours before the test I did an easy 15km run, but it was very hot. About 90. But that is a pretty normal week for me the last 2 months. Im under a bit off stress with my job, as I am deployed. Sleep is usually not bad, and my nutrition is pretty good as well.

I just find it odd, I would think that if my legs are burning then the opposite would happen and my HR would high? I guess that is because when I do speed work while running, my legs brun and I'm in Z5.

There's likely the issue. Test again, but this time, do it rested, (in the AC if possible) and with a big ass fan.

Fatigue can result in a higher HR than normal, or it can do what you're describing - low HR relative to RPE. No matter how hard you work, it doesn't want to come up.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply