Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What is "Long Course"
Quote | Reply
I am curious to get my vocabulary correct. When someone uses the term "long course" are they referring to just 140.6, or is it 70.3 and 140.6?
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50m

:-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha... I have never been in a 50m pool in my life. That is on my workout bucket list, but none are convenient for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 and up

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70.3 = Long Course 140.6 = ultra

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that there is sprint distance, olympic (short course), middle distance (70.3) and long course (140.6). At least that's what they call it in Germany.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:

i would politely disagree. 70.3 / half-iron and IM / 140.6 / iron-distance = long-course. IM / 140.6 / iron-distance is not ultra. ultra, IMHO, is longer than that.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do believe according to USAT Long Course=70.3 and Ultra-Distance=140.6

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used to be the Nice distance that Mark Allen rulled at 4k, 120k, 30k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITU has a World Championship Long DISTANCE event that is 4K swim, 120k bike, and 30K run. Some people call this long course.

It is also used as a catch all term for races HIM or longer, but less than Ironman; frequently used by race directors since they can't use the term IronAnything. Note that Ironman distance is generically called ultra distance.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
50m

Can't believe I laughed at that. What have I become?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The opposite of IMTX
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
I do believe according to USAT Long Course=70.3 and Ultra-Distance=140.6

USAT observes a course as "long course" that has a bike leg of 45km or longer. So Elkhart Lake here in Wisconsin, a race that has a 45k bike leg in an olympic distance race is considered "long course" by USAT.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
50m

Can't believe I laughed at that. What have I become?

Quoted so you can't take it back later.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
personally i call anything olympic-ish and under short course, and anything 70.3-ish and over long course. This is more to differentiate the style of racing more than a finite term that defines length of race. I call myself a short course guy, a lot of people I train with are long course people. I worry about sucking in enough oxygen during a race, they worry about sucking in enough calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anything longer what than i trained for :-)

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
The opposite of IMTX

Ha! IMTX = Short Course IMCHOO = Long Course
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [MxRoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same in the U.K. So I assume it's just different for Europe in general. 70.3 is always called middle distance over here with 140.6 being long distance, very rarely hear the wording long course unless it's reference to 50m pools!
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [Pb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pb wrote:
Same in the U.K. So I assume it's just different for Europe in general. 70.3 is always called middle distance over here with 140.6 being long distance, very rarely hear the wording long course unless it's reference to 50m pools!
Yep
70.3 = middle distance
140.6 = long

That was always my understanding.
But maybe the US do it differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally would have said that the distances go like this:

Super Sprint
Sprint
Olympic / Short Course
70.3 / Middle Distance
IM / Long Course

But I think its very much depends on which terms the people around you are using.
Last edited by: Pax1980: Apr 27, 17 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:

I politely disagree

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any race that takes the the winner more than 2:20 to complete.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally agree with this
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Long Course" [alfredallen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long ends when Ultra begins, and Ultra-triathlon beginning with a double ironman distance ...

4 x Deca-ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:

This was the old ITU delineation of distances. They now refer to Middle distance referring to 70.3 type distances, and Long distance referring to longer (IM, or ITU LD distances, which are a bit different).

According to the definitions in the current ITU rule book (as updated in Dec 2016): (all reported as S/B/R)
Super Sprint: 250-300m/5-8km/1.7-3.5km
Sprint: up to 750m/Up to 20km/Up to 5km
Standard: 1500m/40km/10km
Middle distance: 1900m-3000m/80-90km/20-21km
Long distance: 1000m-4000m/100km-200km/10-42.2km

There's considerable overlap between leg lengths, and realizing that non ITU championship events may straddle some of these categories... But what they do help guide are some of the application of rules (i.e. middle and long distance you get DQd on your 3rd drafting violation, whereas sprint and standard, you would get DQ'd after 2, etc.).

In terms of course, that can easily get confused with distance. I'm not sure about the OP, but a more accurate description would be single loop, out and back, point to point, or multi-lap. realizing that there can be large variation in the length of the laps on any of the segments from race to race. The terminology used by RDs is inconsistent, but if it's something that matters to you, you should be looking at the course maps before signing up for races (realizing that they are likely tentative) to ensure they meet your desires (some people get bored with multi-lap races, and want one big loop or 1 out and back lap, others want shorter multi-loop courses, so that friends and family get to see them more often... some want a balance, multiple loops for family and friends to see you, but the loops long enough that it doesn't feel like a track meet with too many loops of the same course)... and then some of us just want to race and don't care whether it's looped, out and back, point to point or multi-lap (my bias is in the last group, seeing as I spent years racing track and indoor track, and then criteriums, which meant being at peace with running or riding in circles)...
Quote Reply

Prev Next