Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What happened to my latex inner tube?
Quote | Reply
I'm not having much luck with latex inner tubes. Attached is a picture of the hole in the tube from this weekend's flat.
New tube (Michelin). New tire (GP4000S). I use 2 layers of Stan's tape.
Plenty of talcum powder. And I'm able to install everything without using tools.

I blew enough air into the tube to give it some shape. After getting the tire on, I checked all the way around to make sure nothing was pinched. I inflated to about 40 psi to make sure the tire seated well. The next morning I inflated to about 100 psi before my ride.

The flat happened about 10 miles into the ride. I've never see a hole like this. It was on the side of the tube, not under the tire tread, or at a spoke hole.

I double checked the rim tape and it was still well positioned over the spoke holes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [lemond853] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does the tire look like in that spot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont put latex tubes in a hot car even for a short time. Not sure if this spent time in a car at all. I had a flat in transition yesterday before the race and the tube was melted when I took it out. The other tire had a deformed rubber seal on the valve core which I just swapped for a new valve core.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This brings up an interesting question. Anybody know if tribiketransport has their trailer AC'd? I'm guessing not. Which then would mean any latex tubes would be sitting in stifling heat for several days while the bike is in transit. I never used their services, but am about to. Glad I saw this thread, as it had not occurred to me previously and would suck to find out on race day that the tubes had melted or gotten brittle.

Thx, S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I have all of the Slowtwitch Approved(TM) aero tweaks on my race bike except the latex tubes. Too much of a pain in the ass. I'm running butyl tubes with GP4000S.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [stephanl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephanl wrote:
This brings up an interesting question. Anybody know if tribiketransport has their trailer AC'd? I'm guessing not. Which then would mean any latex tubes would be sitting in stifling heat for several days while the bike is in transit. I never used their services, but am about to. Glad I saw this thread, as it had not occurred to me previously and would suck to find out on race day that the tubes had melted or gotten brittle.

Thx, S

I'm sure that whenever latex tubes are shipped from the manufacturer, they are always kept in climate-controlled environments on the plane, the ship, the truck, the warehouse, the bike shop storage shed/attic, etc.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it hot that day? Did you ride later in the day? Did you have to stop on hot blacktop for traffic just before the flat?
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya =)

One of the reasons I was asking is that a friend who is a former pro tour rider one day saw my race wheels hanging in the garage, and a few latex tubes (in boxes) underneath, and mentioned that those would last a lot longer if kept out of the heat. During the TdF not an issue, since their tubes get changed daily if deemed necessary. Not so much for your average podunk AG'er ;)

Which also made me wonder about a few latex flats I experienced over the years, some with the tube right out of the box, it just blew (no pinch flats, or other installation errors) ... how old the tubes where, and where they'd been stored. I flew half-way across the country once to have an 'A' race ruined by such an occurrence. Been paranoid (and race-flat free) ever since.

- S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stephanl wrote:
I hear ya =)

One of the reasons I was asking is that a friend who is a former pro tour rider one day saw my race wheels hanging in the garage, and a few latex tubes (in boxes) underneath, and mentioned that those would last a lot longer if kept out of the heat. During the TdF not an issue, since their tubes get changed daily if deemed necessary. Not so much for your average podunk AG'er ;)

- S

For the record, no pro riders in the TDF (or just about any other pro level bike race) use clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things change a bit too when the tube is under stress. That and I would guess my MINI out in the full sun gets a touch hoter than a closed container stacked under and besides many other containers.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno what they actually ride, to be honest. I just know what a friend I trust told me about how I am/was storing my race equipment =)

Thanks for setting me straight on my potentially mis-leading statement, re. use of clinchers/latex tubes in grand tours.

- S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stephanl wrote:
I dunno what they actually ride, to be honest. I just know what a friend I trust told me about how I am/was storing my race equipment =)

Thanks for setting me straight on my potentially mis-leading statement, re. use of clinchers/latex tubes in grand tours.

- S

Well, sorry, but I wouldn't want you to make a decision on your equipment based on what pro mechanics do, since their riders are not using the same gear. Carry on.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
stephanl wrote:
I hear ya =)

- S

For the record, no pro riders in the TDF (or just about any other pro level bike race) use clinchers.

Huh.

Quote:
Tony Martin (Omega Pharma-Quickstep) will ride a new clincher tire from Specialized in Saturday’s 54km individual time trial at the Tour de France.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
gibson00 wrote:
stephanl wrote:
I hear ya =)

- S

Huh.

Quote:
Tony Martin (Omega Pharma-Quickstep) will ride a new clincher tire from Specialized in Saturday’s 54km individual time trial at the Tour de France.

If thats true, I stand corrected. 99.99% of pro riders, for the past 100 years, use tubulars. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
stephanl wrote:
I hear ya =)

- S

Don't think that's entirely true.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...ton-clinchers_338196
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [HOWSER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HOWSER wrote:
gibson00 wrote:
stephanl wrote:
I hear ya =)

- S

Don't think that's entirely true.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...ton-clinchers_338196

See my above reply. :)

Just looked at the article. Interesting tidbit near the top:
"Martin and his sponsor, Specialized, experimented with clinchers in time trials in 2012, forgoing traditional tubular tires in search of decreased rolling resistance, but quickly returned to tubulars after a string of unfortunately timed flats."

Someone should contact the team mechanics and explain that clinchers do not flat more than tubulars............................. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what happened to your tube. What is that white stuff in there? Sealant? Looks like a nail or something punctured it. What does the tire look like in the same spot?

Latex doesn't melt until at least 250 deg F. I don't think people need to worry about their tubes melting in their cars or elsewhere. I've been using latex for years and not had any issues.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not true, while it is rare, they do sometimes use clinchers.
Of note are 4 world TT podiums in the last 3 years, and paris roubaix was once won on clinchers.

gibson00 wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for what it is worth I keep my latex tubes in hot cars and hot garages in austin texas all the time with no problems. I think the heat paranoia is unfounded.

Is there perhaps a small hole, or debris in your tire at the spot the hole in the tube formed?

Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
This is why I have all of the Slowtwitch Approved(TM) aero tweaks on my race bike except the latex tubes. Too much of a pain in the ass. I'm running butyl tubes with GP4000S.

Bingo. I've tried the Vittoria Latex tubes and to date, I've only had one flat with GP4000Sii's... Running a latex tube.

Running Conti Race Light tubes, never had an issue. This past weekend riding Timberman I hit two ruts very hard, I was certain in both cases that the tube was going to flat instantly. Fine on both occasions.

I'm pretty much done with the grand latex experiment. Conti Race Light + Veloplugs + GP4000Sii's is the go forward plan.

-Alex

Last edited by: bostonalex: Jul 28, 14 10:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lemond853 wrote:
I'm not having much luck with latex inner tubes. Attached is a picture of the hole in the tube from this weekend's flat.
New tube (Michelin). New tire (GP4000S). I use 2 layers of Stan's tape.
Plenty of talcum powder. And I'm able to install everything without using tools.

I blew enough air into the tube to give it some shape. After getting the tire on, I checked all the way around to make sure nothing was pinched. I inflated to about 40 psi to make sure the tire seated well. The next morning I inflated to about 100 psi before my ride.

The flat happened about 10 miles into the ride. I've never see a hole like this. It was on the side of the tube, not under the tire tread, or at a spoke hole.

I double checked the rim tape and it was still well positioned over the spoke holes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

Looks almost perfectly like a spoke hole...

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe someone can answer this for me. I took out a latex tube from one of wheels as part of maintenance and noticed that the tube had a long row of small blisters along it. What caused that? It looks like it was about to explode on the next ride.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
one flat, and the experiment is done?
hmm =)

Heh, to be honest, I just like to standardize... I didn't feel like the latex was "OMG holy crap it's eleventy billion times better than butyl!"

Just me of course, but I also know that in the northeast, there's a ton of places with crappy roads, so makes sense for me.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: What happened to my latex inner tube? [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
latex tubes aren't any more likely to puncture from crappy roads. They are more likely to puncture from install error only. In fact they should be less likely to puncture, and more comfortable, on crappy roads.

Quote Reply

Prev Next