Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What equipment can I use to do a proper swim video?
Quote | Reply
I'd like to post a swim video at some point but need to know what equipment is best for this. Is there a iphone waterproof cover on a stick or something?
Quote Reply
Re: What equipment can I use to do a proper swim video? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any action cam will do

Go Pro, Garmin Virb, Sony Action Cam, Drift Ghost, Contour, etc.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: What equipment can I use to do a proper swim video? [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a GoPro on a broom stick

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Athletes send us videos for us to review all the time. They use their smart phone or Go pro or camera. It's about getting the right angle and Receiving a good analysis in return! Feedback that you can improve your technique and therefore speed and ease in the water. http://www.theraceclub.com/swim-video-reviews/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For underwater shots, I put my GoPro on the baseplate mount, point it up between 20~45 degrees. Then, I swim out about 10 meters and stick it at the bottom of the pool with a 2 lbs dumbbell weighing it down. I can really only get myself swimming towards and away from the camera like this.

I can also film my above water recovery just putting the baseplate at the edge of the pool and pointing it straight out over the lane.

This way I don't need to rely on anyone to film me. Only downside is my GoPro doesn't have an LCD screen, so I have to wait until I get home to review the video. I'd like some more instant feedback obviously, but I make do with what I've got.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some cameras are just waterproof, I got a Sony cyber shoot (little older than this http://www.amazon.com/...norama/dp/B004H8FNGM) which works well.
Some buddy to film I didn't find on Amazon though.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: What equipment can I use to do a proper swim video? [paperwind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have gopro version 3, 3+, or 4, it has wifi which you can use with the phone app to review. I find it is a much easier way to control the camera settings as well. This doesn't work underwater though.
I think you can get a wifi accessory for earlier versions (or indeed a screen accessory).
Quote Reply
Re: What equipment can I use to do a proper swim video? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on using a 'pole cam' and an assistant.

I used my Contour in the waterproof case stuck to the bottom of the pool. You get decent footage, but on for a few seconds, then you have to wait 40+ seconds to see anything again.

Having an assistant use the pole cam to get a more continuous shot is way better. Plus you can do head on or side shots.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BandCamp, there are different levels of quality and I don't mean dpi, I mean above vs below, profile vs head on - the angle is what might allow an analyzer (coach) to see what's really happening. I've been doing this professionally and full time for 15+ years and the angle that I love to see in video is ~6-8 inches below the surface and at profile. A static shot is okay but one that moves along with the swimmer for 12+ meters it best.

So you could have a someone shot you swimming from above with any video device (even a camera) but that only gives the viewer a clear look at part of the stroke: recovery, entry angle, kick pace, etc. Those are good too but the under water bit is left to guesses.

In this thread is a list of under water "action" cameras. No need to go crazy. You can find an used, older model GoPro on CraigsList or ebay for under $100 and then just tape it to a broomstick handle. It's really good when you can swim ~5 feet from the edge of the pool and have someone walk the deck with the camera ~8 inches under the water. The lens is so wide angle that they can just point it in your general direction and you'll get the all you need.

Other side notes: if you're going to package a few shots to send to a coach then get the "at profile" described above, get one head-on shot where the camera is 8 inches below and at the end of the lane where you are swimming straight at it (only need the last 8 strokes as even the clearest water won't show anything farther away than that) and get one above the water at profile. Also, video for the absolute beginner (like: can't put face in water or can't swim a full 50m) video won't really do, that level requires a series of one-on-one, in person lessons. If you're a functioning swimmer or better (functioning, meaning something like... you can swim 6-10x 100s on 2:30 or 2min or 1:50 but want to go beyond) then video can be helpful. If this is the case have the video be of you under a little "pressure" - do a warm up (like 200 easy), then to a "warm up part B" like 12x50s on 50 or 1min or 1:10 and descend them by 3 so it's...one easy, one moderate, one fast, then #4 easy, #5 moderate, #6 fast, then #7 easy, #8 moderate and have your camera operator shoot #9 at profile, #11 head on and #12 from above.

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a waterproof bag for your phone. I got one for my iPhone on eBay for ~$7. Use the neck cord to hang it off the edge of the pool (use a full water bottle on the deck to anchor it).

I also use the bag to protect the phone when it's in my jersey pocket.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What equipment can I use to do a proper swim video? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
BandCamp, there are different levels of quality and I don't mean dpi, I mean above vs below, profile vs head on - the angle is what might allow an analyzer (coach) to see what's really happening. I've been doing this professionally and full time for 15+ years and the angle that I love to see in video is ~6-8 inches below the surface and at profile. A static shot is okay but one that moves along with the swimmer for 12+ meters it best.

So you could have a someone shot you swimming from above with any video device (even a camera) but that only gives the viewer a clear look at part of the stroke: recovery, entry angle, kick pace, etc. Those are good too but the under water bit is left to guesses.

In this thread is a list of under water "action" cameras. No need to go crazy. You can find an used, older model GoPro on CraigsList or ebay for under $100 and then just tape it to a broomstick handle. It's really good when you can swim ~5 feet from the edge of the pool and have someone walk the deck with the camera ~8 inches under the water. The lens is so wide angle that they can just point it in your general direction and you'll get the all you need.

Other side notes: if you're going to package a few shots to send to a coach then get the "at profile" described above, get one head-on shot where the camera is 8 inches below and at the end of the lane where you are swimming straight at it (only need the last 8 strokes as even the clearest water won't show anything farther away than that) and get one above the water at profile. Also, video for the absolute beginner (like: can't put face in water or can't swim a full 50m) video won't really do, that level requires a series of one-on-one, in person lessons. If you're a functioning swimmer or better (functioning, meaning something like... you can swim 6-10x 100s on 2:30 or 2min or 1:50 but want to go beyond) then video can be helpful. If this is the case have the video be of you under a little "pressure" - do a warm up (like 200 easy), then to a "warm up part B" like 12x50s on 50 or 1min or 1:10 and descend them by 3 so it's...one easy, one moderate, one fast, then #4 easy, #5 moderate, #6 fast, then #7 easy, #8 moderate and have your camera operator shoot #9 at profile, #11 head on and #12 from above.

My gym has a endless pool type pool with cameras. Would this be adequate for good stroke analysis?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: What equipment can I use to do a proper swim video? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My gym has a endless pool type pool with cameras. Would this be adequate for good stroke analysis?"

Sounds more than adequate and sounds like you go to a pretty interesting (progressive?) gym.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: What equipment can I use to do a proper swim video? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my limited time in an endless pool, the lack of current by your feet meant that your legs just flopped around. But the front end should be similar.
Quote Reply
Re: What equipment can I use to do a proper swim video? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll back up Ian's thought on the primacy of the angle rather than the equipment.

A side tracking shot is where you see the head alignment, entry angles, catch, and the frequent head position problems when breathing. We all used to use coachcams that would show us the view on the spot and it was easy to keep the swimmer in the frame. Now it takes a little practice since you don't see the video until after, but honestly within three tries you'll have it down.

Underwater is good, but even a single smartphone video is informative.

The other shot is head on above water, have someone stand on the starting block and film you as you come in and swim away from the wall. This is where you see the side to side alignment errors. Crossing over would be the most common thing to see, it's also where you see people sneak down the lane. An underwater tracking shot from the front is harder to get, it doesn't show anything new, however, if someone is doing the "stop in the name of love" it is a pretty good image of it. You have the camera 3 inches below the surface and you can easily point out to the swimmer that you shouldn't be able ot see their palm from that angle.

Anyway, as far as equipment goes,

I have a sony xperia z1 waterproof ant+ phone and it works more than fine, you've already seen the waterproof bag solution. I also use a fuji xp70 waterproof camcera. As said earlier waterproof cameras can be found easily for under $100. I have a pole camera mount that cost $12 and $1.60 worth of pvc pipe for holding the camera underwater.

I get a good amount of videos sent to me, and of course there are the videos here, the biggest mistake is always the stationary camera. Have the camera walk the side of the pool as you swim and keep you in the frame.
Quote Reply