Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What does your peak week look like for IM training?
Quote | Reply
What does your peak week look like when training for an ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [Mrdavidalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 13 hour Ironman training plan.

http://www.cluboceano.com/13.htm
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [Mrdavidalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I want to die. The last two weeks have been horrible. All I want to do is sleep.

chris

"You can quit, and no one will care if you do. But you will know."
~John Collins, Ironman founder

Member HED Mafia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrdavidalex wrote:

From a volume perspective? The structure? The intensity? Day to day?
Peak as in heaviest work load or final week before taper?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My peak week is typically 3weeks out before an IM since I typically train for around 30 weeks for an IM. So my week before my peak week (4 weeks out) includes my bulk of running since I take long to recover from running, so:
4weeks out

Swim 4 hours pw
Run 9 hours pw
Bike 5 hours pw

3 weeks out peak week

Swim 4 hours pw
Run 4 hours pw
Bike 12 hours pw

I usually drop weight at week 4-down.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [ICSTG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Volume and intensity in heaviest work load
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has to have a disclaimer on it because I take a two week vacation 8 weeks out from my goal race. No distractions, just training. Last year was 32 and 31 hours. This year I'm going in with more volume so the schedule is looking like 36-38 hours. But it's all relative to your normal workload.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim...12500m
Run...85km
Bike...9-10 hrs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's more like a peak 2 weeks with one week having a bike focus followed by a second with a run focus. All my training is logged on BT, you can go and see the actual data.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my peak week.

112 mile bike
40 miles running
4300 yards swimming

I know it's not much but I do intense effort. Should still have more volume in there though.
Last edited by: cyclops: Aug 14, 12 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should ask CaptainCanada ...he knows his shit.

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
It's more like a peak 2 weeks with one week having a bike focus followed by a second with a run focus. All my training is logged on BT, you can go and see the actual data.

Would you mind posting up a link to that? I'd actually really like to take a look. I think it was you that I remember saying did a lot of longer rides specifically at Ironman watts and I'd like to see what that looks like since it sounds really really difficult now that I'm training with power!

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [christian1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christian1 wrote:
Like I want to die. The last two weeks have been horrible. All I want to do is sleep.
chris

haha, i was thinking "like death."

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [ICSTG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30wk build to hit two peak weeks w/o injury

4 weeks out (run focus)
-swim 6000 yds
-bike 80 miles
-run 50 miles

3 weeks out (bike focus)
-swim 6000 yds
-bike 250 miles
-run 30 miles
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [christian1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christian1 wrote:

chris

x2 on this...man during the peak weeks it's all about sleep and eating just to try to stay alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrdavidalex wrote:

Peak run week:
60miles run
140 miles bike
8000m swim

I will hit this week about 4 weeks out from race day. Since I have judged run to be my limiter and I believe that more miles is the key to Ironman running, I actually try to hit this week twice, with a big bike week in between, so that would be 4 weeks out and 6 weeks out.

Peak bike week:
40 miles run
180 miles bike
8000m swim

I will hit this week 5 weeks out, but really this is a pretty typical bike week for me that I will hit several times in the run up (7 times in the 18 weeks prior to race). I know that the bike volume is not very high, I am a new power meter user and trying to focus more on intensity this season (though I do plan two rehearsals where I do full distance ride and long run off bike).

Last season I did a bunch of 100+ mile rides and while I am sure they helped, I am banking on being better off doing many 80 mile rides at IM Power as opposed to doing 112 mile rides at sub race power.

What I am sure of at this point is that those 80 mile rides are hurting me big time, but I am hoping that is because of the heat/humidity and not some flaw in my plan. Time will tell.

Last year I went 10:23:55 at IMFL, my goal is to bike slightly faster and run more steady and try to break 10 hours. We will see if this plan gets me there.

Maybe I will discover that I am no longer run limited and then spend more time on the bike (usually I am 6 runs, 4 rides, and 2 swims every week; maybe next season I will go to 5,5,2).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could be running to much.
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, here is a link to my training blog. There is an interactive calendar on the left so you can change weeks.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...mp;month=4&day=1

The weeks of March 26-April 8 were my peak weeks for IMSG. They were done about a week earlier then normal as I had an Olympic race in the middle of April. The total volume fir the weeks was:
Week ending April 1st
Swim- 12,094 yards
Bike- 252.23 miles
Run- 47.15 miles
Week ending April 8th
Swim- 8200 yards
Bike- 215.61 miles
Run- 38.6 miles
So this year I did have one huge week on April 1. In regards to long bike, my target effort is HR based and is around 140bpms.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
You could be running to much.

I am interested in hearing more.

Do you mean too much in an absolute sense (as in run less and I will go faster end of story) or do you mean too much in relation to my bike volume (as in I am not in good enough bike shape to take advantage of those run miles).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
christian1 wrote:

chris

Agreed! I feel better knowing I'm not alone; almost lost it on Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should like like the week before and the week after.

HAving a peak 1 week isn't going to really make a difference at mile 22 of the marathon.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Sure, here is a link to my training blog. There is an interactive calendar on the left so you can change weeks.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/...mp;month=4&day=1

The weeks of March 26-April 8 were my peak weeks for IMSG. They were done about a week earlier then normal as I had an Olympic race in the middle of April. The total volume fir the weeks was:
Week ending April 1st
Swim- 12,094 yards
Bike- 252.23 miles
Run- 47.15 miles
Week ending April 8th
Swim- 8200 yards
Bike- 215.61 miles
Run- 38.6 miles
So this year I did have one huge week on April 1. In regards to long bike, my target effort is HR based and is around 140bpms.

Gotcha, HR based would be quite a bit more doable for me (those rides that I have averaged Ironman HR are usually 15-30w lower than Ironman watts).

I like what you did the week before as well with a big run week and then a big bike week. I find occasional weeks like that to be very important for stimulating fitness gains.

Also, I had a hard time finding any rest weeks until you started taper. How long of a block do you do before you have a rest week? It looks to me like you went 5 good hard weeks, then an easier one, back harder again, and then two weeks easy into the race, which I like that style of taper, but 5 weeks is a long block! Did you have to build to this or have you always been able to do longer training blocks? I tried a 5 week block earlier in the year into my taper and combined with the training I had done leading into it, it just about ruined me. I felt fresh and good, but was slow (from too much long-term fatigue I assume).

Thanks for posting the link!

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Re: What does your peak week look like for IM training? [JourneyToGoPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JourneyToGoPro wrote:
Gotcha, HR based would be quite a bit more doable for me (those rides that I have averaged Ironman HR are usually 15-30w lower than Ironman watts).

There shouldn't be a 15w-30w difference between your "Ironman HR" and your "Ironman watts." Either your target wattage is too high or your target HR is too low. I'm guessing that you're off on the wattage, since you said that you were new to a power meter AND you're having a hard time maintaining it. How did you determine the target Ironman wattage?

On a different note, I also agree that bufit323 is not running wisely.

George D.
Canton, GA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It takes something like 6-8 weeks to adapt to a training stimulus so one big week isn't going to allow you body to adapt to the load. As desert dude said, you probably want the week before and the week after to look similarly, but adding a few more weeks on would also help. I averaged ~8K yards swimming/week, ~190 miles cycling/week, and ~48 miles running/week for the 6 weeks before I started to taper for my last IM.
Quote Reply

Prev Next