Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What do you want from your local bike shop?
Quote | Reply
We all have our favorite bike shop which fits your style or service needs or inventory/stock, but there is sometimes 1 or 2 things that a shop could do differently that would make a world of difference. What are they doing right and what could they (and perhaps all bike shops) do better to make your experience with them even better? Or maybe you are wanting somehow an entirely different type of shop that no one dares to pursue... I am asking because 2016 will have us pursue opening our shop and with 30 years of experience, I still think there are many things that can be improved upon or ideas to pursue. Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want from your local bike shop? [BiciVelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are three bike shops in the area. I patronize two of them. The third one is condescending and has even been insulting, so I won't go in there. Make sure everyone in your shop knows that although someone may not look like they expect a cyclist to look, that doesn't mean that that person doesn't ride. Also, I really like the shop that I bought the last bike from because they didn't push me toward a woman's bike. Instead, they looked at my body type (like a lot of women under about 5'5", I have a long torso which means women's bikes don't fit) and talked about bikes by geometry.

A common problem for those of us who aren't between 5'6" and 6' is that we can't test ride bikes. A lot of shops only have a narrow range of sizes in stock, so we have to order bikes based off of measurements and guesses.

I also like a shop where it is comfortable to hang out. Recently I went into an LBS/coffee shop, and I thought that if I had a place like that where I lived, I would be there all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the argument about buying from your LBS instead of online, but don't guilt trip people when they purchase a bike online and then bring it to you for assembly/service. My friend purchased a Kestrel from bikesdirect and took it to a shop that I suggested. They gave him a hard time about it the second he walked in the door, and not in a joking manner. They charged him almost $300 and didn't even tune it. The bike came 90% assembled. I had to tune it on our next ride. Instead of gaining a new customer that day, they lost two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- A good selection of affordable stems. I dont give a crap if you can order something that will arrive in a week. I can get it in 2 days from Amazon
- Understanding of available power meters. There is more than Powertap out there now. One LBS can get Stages now, but believes that it can go on any crankset.
- Road tires. Just because you are a Trek/Bontrager shop does not mean you can't carry Conti GP4000S II
- At least one triathlete on staff. Just the general lack of tri knowledge means I buy all my stuff online. I don't bother taking my bike in for service because the shop employees need me to spell Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second happyscientist with the don't be condescending thing. There are two bike shops where I live and I go to the one that's farther away from my work and my house. All because a couple of the guys who work there look at me like I don't belong in the sport and are completely unwilling to participate in anything close to customer service. And it just so happens that someone at church asked me where I take my bike for service last Sunday. Guess where I told him to go and why he should go there?

I also second biguglyjoe. Not all of us have $3,000 laying around to go buy a new bike. Some of us buy online. Not because we want to but the last time I was in the market for a new bike there were no options in my price range at the LBS. So don't treat me like a plague on the cycling world because I didn't spend money I don't have in your store. We live in a free market economy and bike shops have competition online. That's just the way it is. I would LOVE to hear someone at a bike shop tell me that they don't have anything in my price range but you can get "this bike" online. Here are the pros and cons of said bike and we will be happy to service it for you and make upgrades and adjustments as necessary. That statement would lock a customer in for life. And one day I won't be strapped for cash (hopefully). The kids will be grown, the debt will be paid, and daddy is going to be in the market for a new bike. Maybe one that will even turn a few heads. How you treat me when I come into your store to buy tubes will directly impact that $3000 sale 5 years from now.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die. -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want from your local bike shop? [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't agree anymore, I ended up calling my LBS because I wanted to get a new pair of aerobar pads for my speed concept before my A race (they ended up ripping pretty good on my last training ride before traveling to my race). So I call my LBS which is one of the largest Trek dealers in the country and they didn't have any in shop and would take a week to get them in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wide cycling shoes....not all of us have small narrow feet. I couldn't find any LBS in the entire Twin Cities metro area (we are talking dozens and dozens of shops) that had a decent selection of wide cycling shoe in stock. While I know not as many shoe makers at least offer a wide option at least carry the brands/models that do exist in your store if you carry that brand. I don't want to be special ordering a shoe that I don't know will fit and be stuck owning it or paying a restocking fee.

I know this isn't a popular thing for LBS owner's but being able to barter parts you don't want on a bike is a huge plus (like say you don't want the stock wheels and upgrade to a nicer set). But, I understand that is a tough one as the goal is to make money in the end and not be holding onto inventory that you can't get rid of.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Aug 4, 15 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want from your local bike shop? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you say my bike will be ready at 5PM Tuesday-make sure it is ready at 5PM Tuesday...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cater to your repeat customers. I ride all year and I'm no wrench. I can do the basics, but here's an example that comes to mind. There are times that I can't get my rear derailleur just right and I can't expeditiously figure out whether it's a worn chain or the derailleur itself, or maybe the cassette. I can spend a while and troubleshoot them all, but I'd rather know it's done right. However, I'm not willing to wait a week+ when it's the peak season and everyone has brought in their cruiser to get it tuned up for the 3 rides they'll do all year. I don't necessarily want you to stop everything and do mine now, but if I could pick it up tomorrow (for something minor), I'd appreciate it. You're going to sell me whatever was worn, too, and I'm probably not going to ask any questions if I know, for example, the cassette had been on for a season and you replaced it. If it's something simple and you tell me, "Hey, all this took was two more clicks and it shifts perfectly," I'm an even bigger fan. If you consistently provide good customer service, I'm also not going to question when you tell me you need a couple days because both shift cables were stretched and you have to get one from your other store in town or order it. Of note, my LBS quietly does all this, especially if I walk in and go to the right person, but they don't make appointments.

Don't get me wrong; I'm glad people are exercising, but I spent several thousand dollars on my bike with this particular LBS, and I spend a lot of money on service every year for that bike, my wife's tri bike, my road bike, and both mine and my wife's mountain bikes. For many races, I'll take my bike in just so I know a professional has looked at it even if nothing obvious needs to be done. Open up my rear brake for my disc (Shiv=horribly difficult rear brake adjustment for my level of ability), charge me my fee, and see me again in two weeks. I also buy every accessory I can there. I never walk in without buying a tube, chain lube, a drink...something. Sometimes common sense comes into play and I'll buy online if it's a significant price difference, but I give the LBS a try first.

Maybe it shouldn't all be about money, but the guys with the Walmart bikes who get one service per year are not paying the bills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd use my local shop more if I could check stock and price online. I'd be happy to pay a small premium to get it locally. But I hate having to go out of my way to call or stop by the shop. At that point, why not just order it online?

So I'd like to be able to check stock/price online.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to be able to check the store's website to see when I can book my bike in for a service, and what the turn around time would be. I know updating websites is a pain, but surely answering the phone I presume at least daily to answer the same question is too.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want from your local bike shop? [trialex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I'd want.

1. Inventory - if I'm buying local its because I don't want to wait for an online order or its something I want to try in person, if the LBS can stock things I might want, then that gives me a reason to visit. I've driven an hour to get a training skewer before because 3-4 of the other shops closer didn't have one...crazy.
2. Hours - be open when I can actually visit you. I work a normal person job and cannot make the bankers hours that most LBS want to keep.
3. A good wrench - if I'm not wanting to work on my bike then I want someone I can really trust to do the job quickly and correctly the first time I haul it in, be real with your time and cost estimates
4. Knowledge - look, we can order parts cheaper literally from around the world and have them delivered in a day or two for less than most LBS can even buy them wholesale, so the main thing you have to offer is some trusted expertise... if you cannot employ people who know what they are talking about and add real value then you're really losing out on this point and giving me little reason to come back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A buddy of mine owns a LBS that I frequent from time to time. I have said that just because we're buds, doesn't mean he has to give me a discount. Friendship is friendship and business is business. He still gives me a discount and I've stopped arguing the point.

A common problem here in shops (not just his) is stock. I don't mind going to a shop and they only have one Cervelo P5 on the floor, but I get annoyed when I go to the store for (as happened recently) some headset bearings. I know there are a bunch of sizes, styles and qualities, but once I've taken mine out of the bike, phoned to check if they have them, then get to the store to find they don't have them, is annoying. They had one of the two I needed. I replaced the one, pulled the other apart, cleaned it to within an inch of it's life (funny since it was 1-1/2" size, pun intended) lubed it and put it back together and re-installed it. He ordered me one, but it took over a week to show up. I mean I can get it from the other side of the world (online) faster than that.

Or going to the shop, for some new tail lights and the selection consisted of only the highest end, highest price ones. I get mine online from DX.com instead. Wider range, better pricing and great shipping.

For a bricks and mortar LBS, they have to at least make an attempt to compete on price (it's fair to pay a premium for knowledge and for instant purchasing). They have to have knowledge so you can make informed choices, and they have to have a reasonable range of stock, backed up by quick delivery if it's not in stock. And have a decent coffee machine with someone who knows how to use it :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A hybrid sales model when it comes to components: order from an online source in store, have it shipped to store, and have the store install said parts. My LBS wanted nearly $2k to install Ultegra Di2 on my Speed Concept. I bought all of the parts new for ~$1000 and installed it myself. They didn't really put the option of "order from X and we'll install it for Y" on the table. Even if Y was $200 I would've gone for it and that would've been a sale. Perhaps in management's eyes that's cannibalizing sales to put that option on the table but I don't see it that way. At this point it's like plumbing: the money is in having good plumbers work for you not selling pipe.

Friendly staff. Every Trek and Specialized store I've been in has had very friendly and welcoming staff. My local Cervelo store? Not so much. My local Scott store? Huge jerks that basically gave me the "don't touch anything" attitude and as a result I'll never go back.

Coffee and pastries on the weekends. If they did this there'd be a 100% greater chance that I'd show up and shop around.

Clothing: it's amazing to me how many shops have practically zero clothing. The golf and tennis industry went to a consignment model for clothing in the early 2000s. It's a sensible model IMO. I don't see why that isn't done in cycling.

Wide shoes. Do they even exist? How is it that wide feet are so rare amongst a group of people that, essentially, impart downward force with their feet for fun.

A helmet painting service: partner with a local auto body shop. Batch jobs at the end of every month. Really shouldn't be hard to do at all.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want from your local bike shop? [rframe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rframe wrote:
Here's what I'd want.

2. Hours - be open when I can actually visit you. I work a normal person job and cannot make the bankers hours that most LBS want to keep.

This. I understand they don't want to work Sunday, but if I can't go buy what I need because they're closed, I'm ordering online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pay whatever salary you have to pay to have an honest-to-God pro mechanic on staff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some bike shops need to chill on the attitude. There was a tri shop in NYC that was so snobby it bordered on just baldfaced rudeness. I was browsing there once and a woman came in to ask the techs if they could replace her stroller wheel and they scoffed at her and threw her out on her ass. Maybe it's annoying to service strollers if you're a bike shop but there was no reason for them to sneer at her!

That place went out of business.

I'd say:
- organize group rides from the shop
- friendly mechanics

Chlorine is my perfume
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want from your local bike shop? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Florida used to (and I think still does) have several shops that are basically full coffee shops with an on staff person for this. It is an idea I really am taking serious for a shop in my area since it doesn't seem to exist in my state (and I've been a bicycle rep, so visited a majority of shops in the state).

I wonder if having a fleet of rental bikes would help pinpoint size preferences (meaning not only "recommended" size, but the size that feels the best to the customer...a good combination). Of course it wouldn't be the bike that one is wanting necessarily, but at least the size is being tried out.

We do get A LOT of complaints locally that there is a bit of an elitist attitude given by our local shops. I'm not sure when the local bike shops turned from helping those that just want to ride a bike to a judgement call on profiling a customer. My best customers often end up being someone I had not predicted could be such.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want from your local bike shop? [TheSlugLife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I left it out of my post, so I'll just agree with TheSlugLife here. When we first moved to the Austin area which is the first big cycling/tri city we've lived in, I despised the idea of group rides from the shop. I'm leery any time I'm riding with people I don't know who cover the full spectrum of abilities. However, my wife loves it and goes often...she always comes home with a receipt, too. As for a business model, it seems like nearly every person who shows up either didn't bring something to drink, has a flat tire and needs a tube, decides they need new cleats, etc, etc. The line at the cash register is ridiculous. They also have a mechanic outside with a pump and his belt of basic tools. Anyone who asks a question either gets a quick fix or ends up leaving their bike there after the ride for service. Wanna try this demo saddle? Sure, I'll switch it out for you and take your $150 when you come back and love it. I want a mechanic I trust who knows my name and I know his or hers. I've never asked how much money they bring in that day of the week, but it has to be worthwhile. Good for both the customer and the shop.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want from your local bike shop? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love your input (and am responding to each person throughout the next few days). I currently run a mechanic/repair center (mobile and garages) and because of this lower overhead, can offer more than highly competitive pricing for repairs/tune-ups. With this noted, I see a majority of my customers ordering products from eBay/Amazon and since I do not sell products, have no issues with who they buy from or where they get their goodies. Your idea (which I have considered very very seriously) about a unique business structure of perhaps having people come in with their purchased goodies and install AND/OR having professional cycling consultants (who are skilled mechanics and experts at their niche...mountain and tri and road and general fitness minus the snob factor) so people can sit on one of many couches (like a Starbucks), connect to wifi, search for parts they want or need, then have our consultants assist them on questions and compatibility. Basically, be there to help them shop for what they want and be sure it will work. From there, we could install the parts when they arrive (they would order the parts and have them delivered to themselves or us...whichever makes sense).

We are also very into recycling of products, wanting to offer consignment products and bicycles, with only "some" new products. With so many options in the industry, someone will always want what you don't stock, so carry the basics, provide a very inviting atmosphere and even help them move their unwanted products within on a consignment system.

As for the "concept" stores that are basically a brand and the products of that brand (like Trek and so on)...I see some being very helpful and others not. I do know that the requirements to be a concept store are crazy, so that store is under a lot of pressure to order and sell so much of that name brand, it creates a very poor experience at times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting thoughts by many:

Attitude to me is key, as a women starting in tris in my mid 40s I wasn't typical customer. Some shops were so insulting and didn't listen well. Their attitude lost so much money as my family has spent a lot on bikes in last 10 years. So many mechanics seem to judge by what you look like. I had a tri friend who was very slow cyclist that was invited to join a women's team. I was a much stronger cyclist, she knew that and suggested I go talk to the shop about it. I did and was blown off by the owner as I didn't look the part. Did that shop get any of my business? Nope.

The shop I end up doing most of my business with does so much right.

They give me good prices on bikes, they bump me up in service and often do small things while I wait or within a day, they are respectful to me and are interested in what I am doing race wise, and a biggie is when I buy a new bike they let me swap parts by buying back ones at fair price I don't want. Last bike I bought, I swapped out saddle, crank to a Quarq, and a couple of other things.

I find that different shops are good at different things and one shop isn't good at everything.

What I'd like to see more is more women's bike clothing and knowledge and stock of new tri focused products,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to build on other's comments on bringing in your own parts...could you consider running the repair/wrenching portion like a aftermarket car shop? My cousin runs/owns a car shop where he specializes in aftermarket modifications, upgrades and custom tuning (he has a Dyno). They can also do general maintenance since they are mechanics by trade and do have the experience/training..but that isn't their primary business but a value added to them. He has no problems with customers bring in parts to install but is explicit on only warrantying the work and not the parts (since he didn't purchase them). His shop does offer parts but if the local NAPA or other local aftermarket parts dealer doesn't stock it you are going to have to wait or get it yourself (and everybody understands this.....who can carry inventory for every car make/model as an independent shop...even dealers can't carry every single part in inventory for their own brand). I know some other independent repair shops will scoff at you for bringing in your own parts (one that make a living off of general maintenance and repairs). I used to bring my previous car to him all the time for general maintenance and brought my own parts most of the time since I had an Audi then and he typically dealt with Honda's, Subaru's and such. NAPA doesn't stock very many parts for nitty gritty parts for Audi's (or many German cars for that matter) that aren't brake pads or rotors.

But, maybe have nice waiting room with coffee (a Kuerig is easiest in this case), water, a TV and some magazines. If say you bring your bike in for a minor tune that takes say 30 minutes it'd be nice to just sip a coffee and read or veg out in front of TV at the shop. You can only browse so much unless you are specifically shopping around for something major.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Competence. Convenience. Cappuccino machine is a great plus. Professional and personable demeanor in the staff. Related to that last point, it continues to surprise me that folks are pretty quick to judge customer needs based on outward appearance. I was asking about a piece of equipment at a shop (tires or some such thing) and the staff sort of laughed and said something to the effect of "Yeah, that's not worth the money unless you're, like, gunning for the podium or something." Uhh... what makes you think I'm not? The fact that I'm a woman in here with my kids?

The last work I had done on my bike was from a mobile bike service with amazing mechanics, who will come right to your house/work to wrench your ride. Fantastic experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very loyal to my local tri shop, even for stuff I could easily get online cheaper. It's all about the people. It's as simple as that. If you are fortunate enough to get the right talent, the rest will follow IMHO. If I opened a shop, I would ask myself this about my staff:

- Do they engage people, remember what they're training for and seem genuinely concerned about them.
- Have they learned my preferences, equipment, observed patterns that dictate my choices.
- Are they my advocate and putting my interests first, even when it's to recommend product they cannot offer.
- Are they transparent, especially about what they know and what they don't know when making suggestions.
- Do they have legitimate expertise and are they generous in sharing it. Can they relate.

Lastly, I think it's important for the LBS to be a conduit that connects people, especially with shared interests, by creating a community that embraces both seasoned athletes new triathletes alike.

Just my $0.02

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DIY night. Meaning a reasonable hourly rate to have a mechanic teach me how to do general maintenance. e.g. tune drivetrain, swap out parts etc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next