Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket?
Quote | Reply

Massimo Cigana and Alberto Casadei finished together for a tie at Laguna Phuket Triathlon. Third place was 17 seconds behind.

On one hand I think it is cool. They are both from the same city and obviously respect each other as athletes.

On the other, they are pros and IT IS A RACE!! All of the time, training, and travel that go into being there, sponsors, manager, family friends, etc. and the competitive drive goes out the window all of a sudden because you know the guy. I don't get it. It is like Rinny has said, she is friends with girls off of the course but on the course they are her competition. Its not like they are doing a charity run and decide to cross together. They are trying to make a living.

What do you think?

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Last edited by: ScottWrigleyFit: Nov 23, 14 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A tie when you're all out racing is one thing and acceptable. However, I read it as they planned to tie and ran the 2nd half of the run together. This kind of tie is lime kissing your sister, sure you're kissing a female but come on, they should be embarrassed.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its a big joke. I would be very unhappy if I was a sponsor.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I think its a big joke. I would be very unhappy if I was a sponsor.

LOL...they love Massimo in Phuket. Massimo caught up with his buddy and it seems that he was willing to share the win with him. Easy to hammer on them from far away, but I don't think anyone in Phuket is feeling ripped off that the two Italians fought each other for a while and then decided that they will just run together, share the win and save their legs for next week's Challenge Phuket. The folks in Phuket are quite thankful that Massimo keeps making the trip and support the entire week of festivities in Phuket and races both weekends.

Luckily for both Laguna Phuket and Massimo, they don't have to worry about you being their sponsor, so all parties are off the hook. We'll have to make sure that the athletes you are sponsoring remember to not share any wins with peers though (and i fully understand where you are coming from but unless you have actually raced in south east Asia n humidity and heat on back to back weekends, it would be hard to understand why athletes might save a few legs for weekend number 2's half IM).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no issue with it at all. They are free to do as they wish and if that's what comes out of it then so be it. Not inherently better or worse than having one winner, just not something we're used to.

I
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no issue with it as a fan. I just don't understand it as a competitor.

I could understand it from a monetary standpoint as suggested by devashish_paul:

Quote:
the two Italians fought each other for a while and then decided that they will just run together, share the win and save their legs for next week's Challenge Phuket.

But in the article by Timothy Carlson http://www.slowtwitch.com/...una_Phuket_4760.html Cigana was quoted as saying

Quote:
“We ran together the last lap, so we decided to cross the finish line together,” said Cigana,

They were running together early on in the run fighting for the win as Cigana caught him early in the 12K. They were on the last lap when they decided to white flag it and run in together. Saving the legs at that point seems arbitrary whether they are racing next weekend or not in the last 1K. Go for the win.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
I have no issue with it as a fan. I just don't understand it as a competitor.

I could understand it from a monetary standpoint as suggested by devashish_paul:

Quote:
the two Italians fought each other for a while and then decided that they will just run together, share the win and save their legs for next week's Challenge Phuket.

But in the article by Timothy Carlson http://www.slowtwitch.com/...una_Phuket_4760.html Cigana was quoted as saying

Quote:
“We ran together the last lap, so we decided to cross the finish line together,” said Cigana,

They were running together early on in the run fighting for the win as Cigana caught him early in the 12K. They were on the last lap when they decided to white flag it and run in together. Saving the legs at that point seems arbitrary whether they are racing next weekend or not in the last 1K. Go for the win.

I could very easily see it happen from a monetary standpoint. Running in that kind of heat and humidity can take its toll on the body, and chances are they are not stupid and are somewhat thinking about the overall picture. If it is true they are both racing again then that little bit of extra effort could cost them an entire pay check the following weekend, either thru fatigue, sickness or other.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Nov 23, 14 18:44
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the perspective from the pro ranks!

I have never done two back to back races where I was going all out two weekends in a row. From my computer Wink it seems as if that last 1K at that point wouldn't matter since they had been going all out already the rest of the race. I assume they already factored in this race to next weeks as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a rule for Ironman where you can't have a Tie.

Was this the Ironman Phuket race or the other one?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathetic. You race to win. This is why our "pro's" don't get paid as they think they should.

Could you see Petty, Woods, Jordan playing for a tie.

Absolutely wrong if they ever want triathlon to be a well paid sport.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Pathetic. You race to win. This is why our "pro's" don't get paid as they think they should.

Could you see Petty, Woods, Jordan playing for a tie.

Absolutely wrong if they ever want triathlon to be a well paid sport.

Your perspective may be slanted by a big 3 US sport perspective. Elsewhere in the world in Football (the FIFA kind, not NFL) and certainly in hockey, or 5 day test cricket, playing for a tie/draw is absolutely an acceptable goal in regular season/preliminary rounds or play. In playoffs it can be fine too. For example, Costa Rica played the Netherlands for a tie in the world cup knock out rounds hoping to advance on penalty shoot out. In this case, I would view the Laguna Phuket tri this weekend as a warmup/regular season outing for the bigger Challenge Laguna Phuket race next weekend.

In any case, there are plenty of reasons to play for a tie in a lot of pro sports, although as a fan, of any sport, I will agree with you that it is more fun watching a decisive win. I'd rather see FIFA abolish the penalty shoot outs and make these guys play until they drop and if that means running around for 5 hours until the last man is standing cause no one can break the tie in 120 minutes....so be it....and make it sudden death too....none of this playing on till the end of the OT period when the other guy has already scored.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. Swimming has ties all the time and no one gives a shit. Just how it is.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference is a planned tie versus trying to win and ending up in a tie. I have no problem with a tie, it is the collusion to create a tie that I don't like. If I was the race director I'd only call it a tie if the timing systems said it was in fact one. Not just because someone decided to hold hands across the finish because they didn't want to race to the end.

Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No this was a part of the Laguna Phuket Tri Fest partnered with half iron Challenge Family race which is this up coming weekend.

Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Meh. Swimming has ties all the time and no one gives a shit. Just how it is.

Yea but it is understood that happens in swimming, and on a regular basis. Same with soccer, ties happen. Ties in triathlons, cycling, running are the exception to the rule.

Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
The difference is a planned tie versus trying to win and ending up in a tie. I have no problem with a tie, it is the collusion to create a tie that I don't like. If I was the race director I'd only call it a tie if the timing systems said it was in fact one. Not just because someone decided to hold hands across the finish because they didn't want to race to the end.

That is my point as well. If they sprinted it out and ended up with a tie, whatever. To say screw it with 1K to go after already racing hard the whole race, what is the point. They planned this into their schedule with the Challenge half next weekend. They planned on racing, and did up to the last 1K and said meh, I'm over it. Lets just cruise.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
dogmile wrote:

That is my point as well. If they sprinted it out and ended up with a tie, whatever. To say screw it with 1K to go after already racing hard the whole race, what is the point. They planned this into their schedule with the Challenge half next weekend. They planned on racing, and did up to the last 1K and said meh, I'm over it. Lets just cruise.

DQ for both of them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have their priorities straight. There is much much more than "winning".

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what happens in this situation as far as prizes/payouts? They add the 1st and 2nd place prizes and split them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I guess the race was fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would certainly seem to be the case.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 9 hour response to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_Y3_eRfOU
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of the tie at Laguna Phuket? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There should be no planned ties in sport. You can let a competitor win, if you want, but someone needs to be declared the winner unless it's a true (unplanned) tie.

Here's what the ITU Rule book says:

e.) Results will be official once the Race Referee signs them. Uncomplete results can
be declared official at any time.
The race referee will use all the resources available to decide the final position
of every athlete. The information from technology will be used to assist in the
decision making process. The Referee may decide, Based in the evidences
available, that a race is tied if there is no way of defining which athlete crossed
the line first.
However, athletes who finish in a contrived tie situation, where no effort to
separate their finish times has been made will be DSQ.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply