Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do I wear to run at freezing temperatures?
Quote | Reply
Hello All -

I'll be spending the better part of next week in the midwest (Iowa) coming from California.

How heavy (or light) do I need to dress for near freezing temperatures for an hour run?
I was thinking:
-Light beanie hat
-long sleeve wicking shirt/with short sleeve over it
-Light vest (nylon rain running type)
-longtights/shorts
-light gloves

I am a sweater so i don't want to overheat, but do not want to freeze either.

Anything else I should worry about other than ice?

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: What do I wear to run at freezing temperatures? [triposer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds about right. (Minnesota here)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear a wicking tshirt under the LS. If you get hot, rip it off.

As long as it isn't windy, you'd probably be all right with what you listed, however, sometimes people from hot states don't do well in cold.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I wear to run at freezing temperatures? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer a good running jacket over a base layer below 35F, then I can unzip ot modulate temperature.

If it's sunny, it will be a lot warmer. If it's windy, a lot cooler depending on direction. Don;t get sweaty with a tailwind...you'll freeze your delicate parts off on the run back.

Enjoy your visit to Iowa where we have 4 seasons which include both a summer (90-100F& humid) and a winter (-10-20F & windy)... 2 season you might not be familiar with on the West Coast. :)

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do I wear to run at freezing temperatures? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... oh and it's "normal" late fall weather. I'ts 24F for a high Friday, 55F Sunday. 17F Friday morning.... probably windy too.... and that's in the warmer SE corner of the state here.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know your personal temperature better than we do. My rule is to dress so that you are cold when you go out the door. You will warm up around the one mile mark. Don't overdress, sweating it up in cold weather is much worse than being cold. At that temp, I'd probably go with a tech T shirt, long sleave T shirt, light hat, light gloves and either shorts if it's January, or light tights, if it's November.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that seems like a good plan, if it's damp or windy dress warmer, if you are running slow add a little more. if it's cold and windy, try to head out into the wind and return with the tailwind. Enjoy your trip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triposer wrote:
Hello All -

I'll be spending the better part of next week in the midwest (Iowa) coming from California.

How heavy (or light) do I need to dress for near freezing temperatures for an hour run?
I was thinking:
-Light beanie hat
-long sleeve wicking shirt/with short sleeve over it
-Light vest (nylon rain running type)
-longtights/shorts
-light gloves

I am a sweater so i don't want to overheat, but do not want to freeze either.

Anything else I should worry about other than ice?

Any thoughts?

It's been between 24F & 36F here for the last 3 weeks. That is exactly what I have been wearing except for the vest. Also, if the wind is not blowing, I usually wear running shorts.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No vest. My rule - well, not my rule, I learned it from somewhere else - is to dress for a run as if it were 20-25F warmer and you were not running. So, running outside at 40F, dress as if you were inside a 60-65F house. Pretty much works, for me, anyway. The windproof/resistant layers (vest) only work for me when it's really cold (below 32F, which it might be for you, time of day depending) AND no sun or adding rain/snow. But my hands are always cold, so my gloves are beefier (but knit, the opposite of windproof).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of tips.

Below 35 I generally go with a thin wool base layer and light fleece over the top. The fleece breaths better than a jacket and provides warmth.

Running with the sun out is much "warmer" than running in the same temp in the early morning or overcast and damp conditions.

Running with the wind is much warmer too so regulate by taking your hat off or unzip your coat or fleece or you will freeze your ass off into the wind.

Very cold and windy days I wear a baklava around my neck that I can pull up over my face if needed.

We are getting some snow so early mornings be careful of re freezing as some spots will be slick.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you haven't run in very cold weather. If the temp is well below 32F, you'll probably need something over your nose and mouth (a light scarf?) to help warm the air you breathe in.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I wear to run at freezing temperatures? [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian here, for the most of my winter I'm running in single-digit/negative °F temperatures (-25 to -15°C)

I would suggest investing in a pair of winter running or cross-country skiing pants or tights. They're wind/weather proof on the front, and highly breathable in the back. On long runs or blustery days my thighs get really red and raw with normal tights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone.

Looks like I shall survive the winter!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd pack another pair of light gloves you can use as a second layer - I find my hands get cold, but maybe that's just me.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget your Willy Warmer!

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Last edited by: karma: Nov 26, 14 19:53
Quote Reply