Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do I need to know how to say in Spanish.
Quote | Reply
I have been following ST for sometime, but finally decided to join the community. I was recently given the green light to sign up for a full IM from wife as long as she got a vacation with it, so IM Cozumel it is.

Race reports make it sound like others often have trouble communicating with race volunteers because they can not speak the language. So, what sentences, words, etc would you want to be able to say in a foreign language on race day? In transition, aid stations, penalty, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to know how to say in Spanish. [tnywest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Agua"
"Por favor"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Donde esta el quarto de bano?" There is a tilde over the n in bano, but my keyboard doen't have one.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Es mi asiento demasiado alto?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dos cervezas por favor!
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to know how to say in Spanish. [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Que la chinga?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
?mas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tnywest wrote:
I have been following ST for sometime, but finally decided to join the community. I was recently given the green light to sign up for a full IM from wife as long as she got a vacation with it, so IM Cozumel it is.

Race reports make it sound like others often have trouble communicating with race volunteers because they can not speak the language. So, what sentences, words, etc would you want to be able to say in a foreign language on race day? In transition, aid stations, penalty, etc.

i live about 10 km from Cozumel on the mainland and have 4 kids in local schools. ALL the kids have a class of English at a minimum (government schools) and the kids on course will be high secundaria to prepa (so.. in their teens and high teens). You don't need to stress spanish. if you're doing special needs, you might want to memorize your number (if it is 4 number do 2 and 2, so say your number is 1525, you'd memorize quince (15) vienticinco (25) and say it that way). don't immediately assume they're not understanding your english, they're likely pausing, doing the translation and then formulating a response. give them time unless they let you know they're not understanding.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to know how to say in Spanish. [godaddygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
godaddygo wrote:
Es mi asiento demasiado alto?

pues, CLARO QUE SI!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to know how to say in Spanish. [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. Know how to say your number in Spanish. I did Cozumel the first year it was offered, and the bike special needs was a total cluster$#%. The bags were all out of order, but the vounteers were SO eager to help. All I did was call out my number in Spanish a few times to the volunteers, and between them and me, we found my bag pretty quickly -- it helped that there were three of us looking.

The other thing I would suggest is "a la izquierda," which means "on the left." There can be a fair amount of blocking on that course, and the ability to say "on your left," followed quickly by "a la izquierda" will help ensure that whomever you are talking to understands what you are saying. Whether they choose to get out of your way is another story, but at least they will understand you.

And, of course, Gracias. Muchas gracias. Mil gracias. For the volunteers and the spectators who line the roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many understand English but if in doubt, use pantomime. They'll understand "Banyo" but they'll also understand you jumping up and down holding your crotch. Similarly, use your hand to make a drinking motion and they'll figure it out (although by the Tequila factory you may not get water :)).

If you only learn one word, it should Gracias.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to know how to say in Spanish. [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I do not have to stress it to much. I appreciate the pointers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dónde? = where?
Izquierda o derecha? = left or right (when asking for directions)
derecho = continue straight

And please, please; if you want to tell a girl she's hot, don't translate it literally with "tu estás caliente", that means "you are horny".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ayuda por favor, voy a vomitar: Help please, I'm about to throw up.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Llevate a mi esposa pero dejame mi pasaporte y mi bicicleta.

Take my wife but leave me my bike and passport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing, just expect them to speak English and have everything in English for you. That's what most Spanish speakers do when they come to the U.S.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to know how to say in Spanish. [roadracer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking louder helps too.
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to know how to say in Spanish. [kjanracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donde esta casa de pepe (Steve Martin reference for all of the old guys on here).
Last edited by: Sluglas: Apr 24, 14 20:34
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to know how to say in Spanish. [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:
Llevate a mi esposa pero dejame mi pasaporte y mi bicicleta.

Take my wife but leave me my bike and passport.

Slowtwitch posts "Hall of fame" material...
Quote Reply
Re: What do I need to know how to say in Spanish. [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Dos mas cervezas por favor!
Fixed.
Quote Reply