Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500
Quote | Reply
I was curious what power field people use and had a question about some of the different options you can pick.

1. I use Power 3sec and 30sec in my fields thus far

2. Power IF: Do people use this mostly at the end of their ride? From my understanding it seems like it is a ratio and tells you how hard your ride was? If so how is this different from TSS?

3. I know NP power seems like a better representation of power but where does this fit in when you are actively riding? Since I already use 3s and 30s power where would NP fit in?

4. It seems IF and TSS both reflect how hard you work? Do people use this as a post ride metric? Not sure what the difference between the two is.

Any other useful field for power people use for their Garmin? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [Izlude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to think of IF as measuring the smoothness of your ride. If you ride steady 200 watts and it doesn't change for an hour, then your IF would be 1.0. If you do a lot of surges of say 200 watts, 300 watts, 100 watts, etc., then your IF will be something above 1.0. Like 1.4. Obviously those numbers are for demo purposes only.

NP is your average power and IF measured together. So if you took the above example and rode 200 watts for 1 hour and your IF was 1.0, then your NP would be 200 watts. To me it shows how hard you rode. You may only have an average of 175 watts, but your NP is 200 cause you had some really hard climbs thrown in during the ride.

I just watch current power and try to ride steady.
Last edited by: Rebcos: May 8, 13 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [Rebcos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rebcos wrote:
I like to think of IF as measuring the smoothness of your ride.....

that's not what IF is. http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...ng-stress-score.aspx

I have two items on my main screen.

Power (3s)

HR

I have another screen with ride metrics like time, distance, avg speed, and a third that I look at at the end of a ride which has my power metrics like Np, AvgP, IF, TSS
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're correct. I was thinking VI. My bad.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [Izlude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3s Pwr
HR
Cadence
Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Izlude wrote:
1. I use Power 3sec and 30sec in my fields thus far

Those are the only ones I find useful while riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the following:
SPEED (large)
Power, cadence (used to use hr here)
Ride time, avg speed (or sometimes distance)
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
I use the following:
SPEED (large)
Power, cadence (used to use hr here)
Ride time, avg speed (or sometimes distance)

Why is speed important?

I think I can think of a few situations, such as for an assessment of your aero-ness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed, Distance, 3s power, % FTP, HR, Cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have power, time, cadence, HR on first page. On my interval page I have 30 Sec power, 3 sec, lap time, HR and cadence. other pages has some things to look at once in a while like TSS, ascent, max speed, grade
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10sec power
avg lap power (I have it set to autolap every 6mi so about every 16-18min)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Average Mega Watts, in my dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elapsed time
3 sec power
Cadence
HR
Power zone
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [fasth2o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 sec power
Elapsed time
Hr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For interval work and Primary Screen-

3s pwr
Avg Lap Pwr
Lap Time
Lap HR / Cadence

Power Screen-

Avg Pwr
NP Pwr
KJ / IF

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my Edge 500 a few months ago and my screens are still evolving, this is what I've used for the last few weeks:

Primary Screen
Power (3 sec)
Time, Distance
Speed, Cadence

Lap Screen
Power (3 sec)
lap time, lap distance
speed, cadence

Interval Screen
Power (3 sec)
Lap time, Ave lap power
Distance, cadence

Info screen
Ave Power, Ave Speed
Total time, HR
Joules, Elevation
Time of day, Last lap Power
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see a lot of people are displaying speed. If you ride with a PM why do you care about speed?

http://www.frostyjunction.com/
https://twitter.com/FrostyJunction
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [FrostyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, we as athletes with power meters should not care about speed. I think with Garmins having so many screens now to display data it just ends up going on there. If an athlete is displaying speed when they are doing intervals then I think that is a problem, but it seems the majority of us are using all power and time based #'s for our intervals.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [FrostyJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Notice that it is missing from my interval screen.

To me it's just a feel good (or bad) number as well as another indicator of intensity
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Speed indicator when I'm racing. It helps me judge my speed on a technical turn, and often helps me gauge my efforts on climbs better than the power readings. Mostly because I race hills at above threshold power, then ease off on the descents. On flat, rolling terrain, I try and just stay in my power numbers. But I've ridden long enough that I usually can tell what power I'm at simply by looking at my speed. So that is why I keep it larger, and my power on one of the smaller fields below.

But that is the great thing about the Garmin, it is highly customized and everyone has their favorite data they look at.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the power fields you use for you Garmin 510/500 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

To me it's just a feel good (or bad) number as well as another indicator of intensity

Speed is not an indicator of intensity.

http://www.frostyjunction.com/
https://twitter.com/FrostyJunction
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FrostyJ wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Speed is not an indicator of intensity.

I disagree. It's not as good of an indicator as others but going 20 mph on a flat road on a windless day is easier than 25 mph on the same day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody except me display power as % of FTP for doing intervals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It can also be a good indicator that your brakes are rubbing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next