Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What are the chances of IMMD being another washout
Quote | Reply
Not that anyone could predict this sort of thing but if you were a betting man would you take the chance on MD this year.

I have done 2 IM, both have had swims cancelled.

I had sworn them off but feel like I have unfinished business.

My choices are Maryland or Louisville

Maryland would save me about a grand on Airfare and rental car since I could drive there in 3 hours.

Any thoughts

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't chance it, bad enough the swim was cancelled but then the bike was shortened to 100 miles and they stupid run course where you had to go through the knee deep water multiple times, I was very disappointed last year. Doing IMMT this year.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MD sucked last year, but the day after the race, it was beautiful. A local can provide better perspective. One thing that is obvious is that this area is in Hurricane country. The race takes place in Hurricane season. There is very low elevation. Hence the propensity for problems.

Apologies to the locals, but it also is not that charming a place to visit on its own merits.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a local, IM MD has had terrible luck with weather. Mid September to late October is usually the best weather of the year with low humidity and temps in the low 70's. Last couple of years, the race had bad timing with weather. More often than not, you'll have great weather for the race.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just spend the extra money and go to Louisville.
I did Maryland the year Hurricane Joaquin came to town...It was cancelled, then rescheduled and still had a shortened swim to only 3k on race day.
Still had some flooding on the roads 2 weeks later but nothing horrible. The course is terribly boring. the town is just OK....
Ive never done Louisville but I will never return to Maryland...not only is it in hurricane season it can also be 100 degrees.
Although the odds may be in your favor, what are the chances 3 years in a row the weather is that shitty?
Last edited by: espejo09: Jun 20, 17 4:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a 2x Louisville finisher and a 1x Maryland finisher, go to Louisville!!! Regardless of the weather, the race, the scenery, the town......everything is better at Louisville. My apologies to Cambridge, but that is just fact.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBB1975 wrote:
As a local, IM MD has had terrible luck with weather. Mid September to late October is usually the best weather of the year with low humidity and temps in the low 70's. Last couple of years, the race had bad timing with weather. More often than not, you'll have great weather for the race.
I did it in its first year in 2014 and we had absolutely perfect weather. I think it was low-mid 70s and a mild breeze. Perfect for a fast race but it was very obvious that it didn't take much for the race to run into trouble it the weather's slightly less than perfect.

I concur with the others on the location not being exciting. It's great for a walk along the river but there is otherwise nothing to see or do or visit and chances are you'll end up staying far away from Cambridge in a shitty town like Salisbury and doing quite a bit of commuting.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
As a 2x Louisville finisher and a 1x Maryland finisher, go to Louisville!!! Regardless of the weather, the race, the scenery, the town......everything is better at Louisville. My apologies to Cambridge, but that is just fact.

I'm going to race IMMD this year...I'm gambling that it's going to be nice this time around, but won't cry a river if something happens with the swim.

I've done IMLou twice...once when it was in late August (and hot as crap), and in 2015 (October and perfect weather). It's one of my favorite IMs.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
I wouldn't chance it, bad enough the swim was cancelled but then the bike was shortened to 100 miles and they stupid run course where you had to go through the knee deep water multiple times, I was very disappointed last year. Doing IMMT this year.

that sucked, didn't it ? i was none too happy about all of that. the swim ? i would have done it, but i guess i can see that it was maybe on the bubble for safety. i didn't know the bike was cut short until i arrived at T2 and then WTF. and the run course was a joke. 50 yards out of T2 with dry socks and running shoes, and then schlepping thru knee deep water right out of the gate. with repeats. the section of the run course on the east side of transition had next to no lighting, and was a mud pit on top of that. very poor course routing.

that all said, i don't believe i'd invest in that event again, either.
Last edited by: adablduya1: Jun 20, 17 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

I'm going to race IMMD this year...I'm gambling that it's going to be nice this time around, but won't cry a river if something happens with the swim.

I've done IMLou twice...once when it was in late August (and hot as crap), and in 2015 (October and perfect weather). It's one of my favorite IMs.

I'm with d00d here. I did IMLou in 2015 and it was a great event. I'm doing IMMD this year simply because it's an easier drive for me. Hopefully the weather situation works out.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

I've done IMLou twice... It's one of my favorite IMs.

Absolutely agree 100%!!!!!

#Louisville2018

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
d00d wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

I'm with d00d here. I did IMLou in 2015 and it was a great event. I'm doing IMMD this year simply because it's an easier drive for me. Hopefully the weather situation works out.

Logistics work out better for me, too. The fb page for IMMD has a bunch of ppl touting how great that race is...Funny that the optimism is not shared here.
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel the need to 2nd this comment, I race Maryland 2 years ago when they were forced to reschedule and then shortened the swim. Its a pretty uneventful race. The town is small and nice, no complaints but its a pretty boring course.
My buddy took the resched option and did Louisville last year and loved it, I hear its one of the best finish lines and there are lots of hotels really close. I have put Louisville on my list of races to do
Quote Reply
Re: What are the chances of IMMD being another washout [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
BBB1975 wrote:
in a shitty town like Salisbury

OK- ouch. That stings.
Quote Reply