Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What IM races will remain open into new year?
Quote | Reply
After a horrible 2015 racing year which included crash resulting in dislocated collar bone, concussion and broken rib, a dnf at IM Boulder and DNS'ing IMWI due to back surgery from ruptured disc 2.5 weeks before the race I want to actually finish a race next year. I won't register unless doctor gives me the go ahead and says it's safe. Currently 6 weeks out and up to walking 3 miles at a time and hitting 10,000 steps every day. BUT, not much strength and still can't go up and downstairs. Am working hard at PT and plan on riding again soon.

So here's the question. What races will still be open for registration in January? I figure by then I will know if I can train again for next year and if I'm healthy enough to make another run at training. I'm just looking at North America races and nothing before August. Hoping Boulder is still open but kind of doubt it. What are your guesses for open races.
In Reply To:
Last edited by: mndiver: Oct 11, 15 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [mndiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after all you've been through - I gotta give "it" to ya! Hang in there.

While I'm not sure an IM is really a great idea; I understand that having a goal can be great for recovery focus.

re: Your original question, I'd bet Coeur d'Alene will be open (Aug, 21st). I signed up this year about a month before. Perhaps the new date this year will somehow affect the speed of registration, but, I doubt it.

As a bonus, you'll swim in a beautiful lake - perhaps 2nd only to Tahoe.

FYI, one year ago (almost to the day) I broke my collar bone. Turns out I got "lucky" no surgery, etc. but my swim times are as good as ever.

Heal up, and...

Enjoy the journey

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just guessing based on this past year: Boulder, CDA, Louisville, Texas, Cozumel, Los Cabos, Maryland ... I might be wrong on some of those but I'm pretty sure they were all open past January in 2015. I think Whistler and Mont Tremblant may also have been open into the new year. Florida and Arizona may have been the only North American races to fill up right away this past year.
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [little red] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised if Louisville goes that far. Great event yesterday without oppressive heat. I'm guessing it will be like Chattanooga.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Whistler was open right up until the end this year.
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [Hack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct whistler did not sell out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's go do whistler. Kelly will love it ;)
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Let's go do whistler. Kelly will love it ;)

She probably would. How serious are you about signing up?
Last edited by: mndiver: Oct 13, 15 17:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman Muskoka (two hours north of Toronto) and IMMT (didn't sell out until March this year)
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am interested in Coeur d'Alene, I was wondering if it would sell out with the new date.

http://www.toughmantri.com

https://robinsonsstrengthandendurancecoaching.wordpress.com/

Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [wprobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it. I was gonna do CDA again for 2016 after doing the 2015 race but with the move of the date it runs into my wifes teaching schedule so I am doing Boulder instead. Bummed because this year IMCDA was epic to say the least :)
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard good things about it. I was looking for a full in June. Fall races, in the past have been bad timing for me do to school schedule.

http://www.toughmantri.com

https://robinsonsstrengthandendurancecoaching.wordpress.com/

Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [wprobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah wish they would have left it in June but won't hit that race again for a while
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the story on Whistler? When the race in Penticton it would nearly always sell out in a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cozumel will still be open well into spring if not summer. I am biased but it is probably the closest thing to Kona that you will get without being there. Late season race in crystal clear swim, tropical weather (read heat, wind and humidity) and awesome crowd support. plus you can stay and vacation on the island or Cancun to "recover".
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [PaulR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulR wrote:
What's the story on Whistler? When the race in Penticton it would nearly always sell out in a day.

It's not "Ironman Canada" to the die hards, and has no history
It's hard

But it's gorgeous. No idea why everyone doesn't want to do this IM
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
Cozumel will still be open well into spring if not summer. I am biased but it is probably the closest thing to Kona that you will get without being there. Late season race in crystal clear swim, tropical weather (read heat, wind and humidity) and awesome crowd support. plus you can stay and vacation on the island or Cancun to "recover".

Cozumel is still open for registration now. It doesn't sell out.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
PaulR wrote:

It's not "Ironman Canada" to the die hards, and has no history
It's hard

But it's gorgeous. No idea why everyone doesn't want to do this IM

More races, especially at that time of the year, is likely the reason Whistler doesn't attract 2500+. It did sell out the first year. I think the reputation for it being difficult keeps it from sell out mass appeal.

My favorite IM I have done.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe boulder again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
PaulR wrote:
What's the story on Whistler?

Why doesn't everyone want to do this IM?

It's hard

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just care if IM Lou is open at the end of October. Waiting on my grad school app and if that is a no go, then I'm off to Louisville. Seems like the hype is real for Louisville though.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: What IM races will remain open into new year? [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking this will be my order of preference.
Boulder-Have a score to settle there and really liked the course. 50/50 chance of being open

Chat- Heard great things and would like to see the course and the city. 20/100 chance of being open.

Lou- Again, heard good things. Switch to fall makes more appealing. 50/50 chance of being open

Whistler- Beutiful and challenging course. Not sure this is my favorite but may be the incentive needed for wife to come along as a vacation. 90/10 chance of being open.

Maryland- Lot of chances to take on this one but might be a fun course. Will see how this year's reviews go. 80/20 chance of being open.

Hope is to get an answer from PT on if an IM is a realistic goal for next summer and then decide in another month or two if I'm feeling it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd try for Boulder as my wife did it and loved it along with all that came with CO.

Whistler I think could be the best experience.

I've don't Lou and really liked it. Nothing too special but a good time.

I wouldn't get too excited about Maryland. Did eagleman and thought the whole experience was about a 3/10.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can count on Muskoka + Whistler being 99% open until the week before. Muskoka overlaps with Tremblant 140.6 and will take the "overflow" from that race, and Whistler will largely overlap with CdA and will remain open as it did this year. I can tell you that your wife will really like the visit to Whistler. Spouses/families can do a ton of stuff and not even notice there is an IM going on (if they want).

I just looked at all the IM's around the world...it seems only Frankfurt, Sweden, Copenhagen, Austria, Brazil and LP are "sold out". Even Cozumel and Western Oz later this year are still open. I thought Barcelona would be sold out but it appears you can still register. Seems like all of North America minus LP is "still open". As a consumer, this is pretty awesome!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet if you are looking for August or later it would be CDA and Muskoka
Quote Reply

Prev Next