Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Whaoo Kicker/Ironman Course
Quote | Reply
Looking for a little help, I'm going to purchase a wahoo kicker and was wondering if its possible to purchase any Ironman courses to ride? I thought trainer road would have some, however they said they do not offer any ironman courses.
Quote Reply
Re: Whaoo Kicker/Ironman Course [Tryin Harder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've downloaded quite a few from Best Bike Split. I was able to put the courses in Trainer Road and ride them using Trainer Road. I'm sure there are other options as well but I just got my Kickr a few months ago so I'm still learning everything I can do with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Whaoo Kicker/Ironman Course [Tryin Harder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think CycleOps Virtual Training would allow you to do that. As far as I was able to determine (I'm looking into getting an ERG trainer too) you can either download an existing course with video from their library or make your own based on a garmin TCX file etc... It also works with Google Earth so you can ride the actual course. I imagine the generated video is not necessarily high quality or very smooth but it's better than nothing and the main thing is that your trainer will adjust resistance according to the elevation profile of the course. Virtual Trainer seems to support Kickr and also has iPad / Android support.

The other way is using PerfPro Studio which supports a ton of formats such as Computrainer ERG files, garmin etc... but lacks the video part. You can still "ride the course".

Check out DC Rainmaker's review of Virtual Training.
Quote Reply
Re: Whaoo Kicker/Ironman Course [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the OP is going to purchase the Kickr, but CompuTrainer does this quite nicely already. We find a course we want to ride, and there are thousands of them on MapMyRide and MapMyRun (for example) and use PerfPRO Studio to import them and convert to CompuTrainer 3D course. Even if the imported file doesn't have elevation, PerfPRO can figure it out for you. Then we fire up the 3D software for CompuTrainer and select a background of our choice (mountains, city, etc.) and the resultant ride will have all the correct climbs, descents, and (most importantly) turns. Since we use projectors in the studio, we put the course map up on one screen, and it's pretty easy to figure out where you are on the course (if you use the map provided by MapMyRide, you get mile markers).

We've been riding Ironman Boulder for about two weeks, doing 20 miles at a time (makes for a good hour ride and lets you divide the course into sections to help familiarize and remember). With the map on the screen, coupled with the actual climbs, descents, and turns, it's real close to being there.

The good thing is, it takes about 5 minutes (max) to set up and ride.
Quote Reply