Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit time saving's?
Quote | Reply
Raced my first Olympic distance triathlon last weekend. My swim was right at 25 minutes. No wetsuit. How much time do you guys think can be saved with a good full suit? Thanks, Brian.

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by JMike [ In reply to ]
Re: Wetsuit time saving's? [Crfdude86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roughly 10 sec per 100. Ive tested myself at exactly that number.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sighting plays a big role - the wetsuit will make you faster, but you also need to swim a good straight line. I've found around a 3 min time savings in a HIM with my B70 Helix.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a fairly good test of wetsuit vs. non wetsuit:

http://marathonswimmers.org/blog/2012/08/speed-advantage-wetsuit/
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit time saving's? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
That's what I've found for me.

However, I'm not a fast swimmer. (~ 9:00 for a 500 meter open water swim) I think a strong swimmer wouldn't gain as much time. Still, I'd always wear one as long as it's allowed.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit time saving's? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
cmscat50 wrote:

That's what I've found for me.

However, I'm not a fast swimmer. (~ 9:00 for a 500 meter open water swim) I think a strong swimmer wouldn't gain as much time. Still, I'd always wear one as long as it's allowed.

I went from 1:35-1:40/100 down to a steady 1:20-1:25 in sprints and olympics once I got my wetsuit. It's nutty how much faster a wetsuit makes you. It's like paddling a boat instead of swimming.

I was probably paying a heavier penalty though, because the stuff I wore pre-wetsuit wasn't the tightest. I distinctly remember feeling my tri top act like a parachute in my pre-wetsuit days.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Jul 3, 15 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends.

The faster you are, the less savings you get from the suit. It can also vary depending on your form. The wetsuit limits the ability to kick, and as a result hip driven freestylers don't pick up as much speed as shoulder driven freestylers.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 to 3 minutes

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crfdude86 wrote:
Raced my first Olympic distance triathlon last weekend. My swim was right at 25 minutes. No wetsuit. How much time do you guys think can be saved with a good full suit? Thanks, Brian.

I have tested my suits in the pool (LCM). The LCM helps to minimize (but not eliminate) effects of gliding off the wall. What I found on my last training block for CDA is as follows for my goto 10x400 set:

- no wetsuit - 1:38/100m pace
- B70 fullsuit - 1:28 to 1:29/100m pace
- older Promotion sleeveless suit - 1:31 to 1:32/100m pace

I would classify myself as a mediocre swimmer.

These times do have correlation with OW for me - swam a 57:40 at IMNZ (smooth water and accurate) and 1:01:xx at IMCDA (choppier and about 200 or so yds long by my Garmin the past three years).

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: Jul 3, 15 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere between 5-15 seconds/100 meters, a little bit faster in salt water (extra buoyancy)
You're a good swimmer, so definitely be sure the suit fits comfortably.
If you opt for sleeveless for whatever reason, you might go about 2 sec slower/100 vs full.
I do have a few Full suit recommendations if you want to PM me.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crfdude86 wrote:

Are you trying to predict what you will do at an upcoming race? Are you looking over last year's results for the race you want to predict? IF yes, my suggestion is you find someone who raced last weekend who also raced the race last year.

Of course maybe you are just wondering...
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit time saving's? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the response. I actually have a Roka elite that to be honest I just didn't feel too comfortable in. It would also take in a little water at the neck too even when pulled up all the way. I am considering getting a Helix full suit if anyone has any opinions on that suit. I am 6' 2 1/2, 187lb.

Team Every Man Jack.
Quote Reply