Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit question - probably guys only
Quote | Reply
Did my first wetsuit legal half this past weekend. Overall, the swim went well. Def. quicker in the suit. However, about half way into the swim I started to feel quite uncomfortable in the nether regions. It was like there was a ton of drag on my boys but in a wetsuit, that's not possible. My suit was very tight down there. Stopped, pulled on the collar to let some water in, hoping to loosen the suction. Didn't help. Finished the swim but by then I felt like I'd been kicked in the nuts. Struggled on the bike and run after that. Lower abs hurt after the race and I'm terribly sore in my lower abs today (like I did a million lower ab crunches and the pain goes all the way down to my boys). Somehow it out a ton of strain on my lower stomach and my boys.

Any ideas what would cause this?

Pertinent info:

I'm 5'-11"
Weighed 163 on race morning.
Wearing an Xterra Vortex 4, size MLA. Seems to fit well.
I don't have the opportunity to do a lot of wetsuit swims where I live. Water only gets cold enough for one in late Sept. so I don't swim in this much at all. Only my 3rd OWS in it and only used it because it was 75 degrees at race time and wanted to see if I made gains with it.
Lastly, I'm no fish. 1:50 - 100m pace. So speed of swimming does not appear to be the culprit, unless slow is my menace. :o)

Thoughts appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit question - probably guys only [tmshokie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time I wore my wetsuit, there was some definite ball-crushing going on.
Could barely finish the 500yd practice swim.
The couple of times I've used it since then I haven't pulled the legs up quite as much, and the extra crotch room did the trick.
Coincidentally, this was also in an Xterra (vector pro full), and I'm 6'0 163. It was a medium, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit question - probably guys only [rickthebrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rickthebrick wrote:
First time I wore my wetsuit, there was some definite ball-crushing going on.
Could barely finish the 500yd practice swim.
The couple of times I've used it since then I haven't pulled the legs up quite as much, and the extra crotch room did the trick.
Coincidentally, this was also in an Xterra (vector pro full), and I'm 6'0 163. It was a medium, though.

Interesting. I did pull the suit up on my torso a lot at the recommendation of a local tri coach who said I needed as much room as possible in the shoulders. I will say my shoulders did not fatigue at all in the swim. Guess it's one or the other.

Tks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do something a bit unusual but it helps both with the wetsuit and on the bike: I flip the "hot-dog" up. Allows the "boys" to hang symmetrically and not get bunched up. Game changer for me on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you suffered from the old ascending testicle problem?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it isn't a hernia? I mean, I can see having sore nads, but abs? That would worry me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   One of the things I do is get the wetsuit up to my waist, over my ass, with everything pretty much at the level it'll be then reach in and pull all of those components "up". The wetsuit may press against them but they aren't in an uncomfortable position, then when I get the wetsuit fully on and hike the up the back and front, there isn't anything "misaligned".

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit question - probably guys only [rickthebrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vector pro full M is just a tad small on me - and I am 6"1' 162 lbs. M/L is not problem.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit question - probably guys only [onemuddyshoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick update. Did 1500m OWS tonight and I put some room in the boys compartment. Went much better. Still some pain but that might just be lingering. Don't think it's hernia because there is no pain from pressure. Just muscle soreness. Will go see the doc if it's not much better by friday.

One of the guys in my group had a similar problem and swims with a cup in his wetsuit. Novel idea but he swears by it. Might give that a try.
Quote Reply