Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit for sinky legs
Quote | Reply
I'm a bona fide sinker. My swim coach was shocked at my lack of buoyancy. Needless to say I am a slow swimmer.

I've read the advice about Vasa and strength building etc to get faster. Been doing that but now want to improve speed with a wetsuit.

I use a Vortex 4, which is 5 mm from the chest down. Huub website says that I should use 3 mm in the chest and 5 mm in the hips and legs to get the legs up. Is a 3 chest /5 hips down any better than 5 from chest down?
Last edited by: gcoutdoors: May 21, 15 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for sinky legs [gcoutdoors] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I clicked on your thread to tell you about the positive experience that I have had with my Huub Archimedes 3:5. I'm a classic leg sinker, and the suit has massively helped to cover up my many technical swimming mistakes whilst I work to reduce/eliminate them.

I'm pretty sure that having the thicker neoprene in the legs only will be better than having it from the chest down.
Think of your hips as like the pivot of a see-saw in the water, if you lift both sides of the pivot the the see-saw's position doesn't change.
Does that make sense?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for sinky legs [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Roka Pro and Elite wetsuits also have more padding on the legs to add to the Huub option
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xterra Vendetta. Might float my legs TOO high, lol. I also have a Roka (that I love) but the Vendetta floats your legs way higher. It's just more buoyant as a suit in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend you contact Emilio at De Soto about his suits. I think you will find them incredibly buoyant and very comfortable. Many others here say the same too!

https://www.desotosport.com/...s/wetsuits/index.php

Good Luck! John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^^^THIS^^^^

I Don't know what water temps you normally swim in but I have the Speed Tube which gives you buoyancy from the hips down. So not only does it give me the added comfort of not having a full or sleeveless top and keep me cool, its less to take off in transition and the main factor i enjoy is the buoyancy is only where i need it. It might not be the solution for you but Emilio and anyone on the DeSoto staff is the perfect place to start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your wetsuit (Vortex) is well known for excellent buoyancy. Someone called it a boat. The vendetta is just the higher end version. If vortex isn't keeping your legs from sinking then changing wetsuits is probably not going to help you.

Sure a 3:5 would let the torso sink a tiny bit more keeping the legs higher, but I doubt it would be any faster/easier to swim if an existing all-5mm suit (well known for buoyancy) is inadequate.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit for sinky legs [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you don't want to hear it, but you have to forget about using crutches to improve your body position and just learn how to get your legs up.

I'm short, stocky, and often known as 'thunderthighs' (I look like a T-rex on videos), and even I can get my legs to float in a face-down position with a minimal kick. There simply no reason that you should accept sinking legs as correct swim technique, and it isn't even hard to fix - just do the face down float drills and if you're good at that, start working on ankle band use.
Quote Reply