Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wetsuit and Vaseline or Crisco
Quote | Reply
Just curious if anyone has witnessed their personal wetsuit degrade due to using these products. I have no doubt that the products may have an adverse effect on neoprene, I am just wondering if the effect occurs so slowly that it is negligible over be life of ownership of my wetsuit.

I have been using body glide, but I am thinking that the Vaseline may be slicker and may stay in place longer. It doesn't hurt that it is so much cheaper either.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and Vaseline or Crisco [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
Just curious if anyone has witnessed their personal wetsuit degrade due to using these products. I have no doubt that the products may have an adverse effect on neoprene, I am just wondering if the effect occurs so slowly that it is negligible over be life of ownership of my wetsuit.

I have been using body glide, but I am thinking that the Vaseline may be slicker and may stay in place longer. It doesn't hurt that it is so much cheaper either.

Chemical reaction. You will destroy your wetsuit with certain compounds (such as vaseline and adhesive from duct tape).
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and Vaseline or Crisco [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At what rate does the rxn occur? Wetsuit touches Vaseline and turns to dust, or wetsuit won't last 10 years if I use Vaseline 4 times per year?

I am sure UV light will destroy my wetsuit as well, but i stilll wear it outside.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a friend that used a product at Augusta named suit juice and said that it worked very well. I ordered some off amazon and recieved it last week. I have done 2 swims using it now and it is a night and day difference putting it on and taking it off. I definately recommend trying it.

"Sometimes you got to learn to hurt"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
At what rate does the rxn occur? Wetsuit touches Vaseline and turns to dust, or wetsuit won't last 10 years if I use Vaseline 4 times per year?

I am sure UV light will destroy my wetsuit as well, but i stilll wear it outside.

Vaseline will cause the neoprene to degrade and become a sticky mess with a single application. The extent of the mess depends on the surface area application/dose inflicted.

The damage is irreversible. If you apply a large dose of such chemicals your wetsuit will no longer be functional. You could probably wear it for another 10 years- but only as a drag suit rather than something to keep you warm and something to add buoyancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right, it's not the earth shattering issue people make it out to be, I find Vaseline much better as a lubricant than any other product and my wetsuits are just fine, it's not like its acid. I also use it as chamois cream since, once again, I find it better than anything else I've tried and my shorts are just fine, after a year they look just like all my other shorts when I didn't use Vaseline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always avoided it and my 12 year old QR suit is still going strong.
That said, a friend of mine swims pretty fast in a 10 year old suit that
he claims has seen some vasoline with no apparent ill affects. Why risk it?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and Vaseline or Crisco [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems more slippery and more likely to stay put than body glide.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skip the body glide. i started using tri-slide a few years ago, and the stuff is like magic. now, every race i have done since, as im putting my wetsuit on, i have people ask to borrow it. it comes in a blue aerosol can. seriously, i wont use anything else. they say it can be used as a chamois lubricant also, but i still use chamois butt'r for that.

~sarcasm saves lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my n=1, since I know nothing about the science. I've used Vasaline for 5 years and 4-IMs. The wetsuit is still going strong. I have not seen any derogation or the "drag" that the other poster was talking about. If there is a drag affect due to derogation of too much vasaline, my swim time has not shown it. I also give my wetsuit a soaking/cleaning in tap water after every race.

Last edited by: zoom: Oct 21, 12 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and Vaseline or Crisco [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been surfing for 30+ years and doing Tri's for 2, most of the time in wetsuits. Never,ever use Vaseline or any petroleum based product on neoprene. If you do your suit will melt/dissolve over time, seems will fail prematurely. Wetsuit companies will void your warr. if you send the suit in for repairs and they find Vaseline. Suit Juice, as mentioned above is a great water based lubricant, highly recommend it.

Mark
Nor'easter Surf Shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wetsuit is going on 25 years ... back in the 'old' days, vaseline was all we had.

I used it and my wetsuit is still good (FOP swimmer).
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and Vaseline or Crisco [slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you thinking of using it for? If it's around your neck, I might try vasoleine as I'm 50/50 with rashes. I use Pam from my knees down and on the outside from the knees down to help in quick removal at races. I've been using it for 3 or 4 years and haven't noticed any deterioration.

TEAMFIREFIGHTER.com
STRIVE Omni Sport.com
Get Busy Living - or - Get Busy Dying
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and Vaseline or Crisco [rvt210] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only concern is at race from knees down inside and out.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suit juice is great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QRoo even said Pam isn't great. Quote from cust service - "Pam is great for vegies, but she's bad for wetsuits." Though I still see lots of people lubing with butter flavor, mmm says the sharks.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:

I have been using vaseline on my neck and arms on all my wetsuits for more than 10 years and they have never ever ever ever caused my wetsuit to decay in any way, manner or form. This vaseline thing is urban legend and a bunch of malarkey. I have used it on my Xterras, Orca, Nineteen, Ironman, and many other brands and vaseline has not affected any of them. I have also used suit-juice, pam, and body glide. No issues there as well.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends how often you use the site. Salt water is much more aggressive when it comes to chafing. I have not used Crisco but Vaseline will break down the neoprene and the seams and threads will be stressed. Some of the Luubs on the market for wetsuits work very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an update I bought some suit juice and it works well on the interior stuff but not well for lubing the outside (it just washes away). Bottle even says that if you want to use it to get out of the suit, abpply it afterwards to the outside. Most of the friction I encounter comes from the outside, so it helped, but not dramatically.

I did trim an inch or two off of my legs which has helped.

In an experiment, I took the scrap neoprene from the trimmings and applied petroleum jelly to one piece and let it sit for about 48 hours, I mixed it every so often just to make observations on the state of the material.

i wiped away the jelly after a couple of days and compared the test piece to the control piece and there is no observable difference. I cleaned the test piece (paper towl, no soap or chemicals and reapplied petroleum jelly and will check on it again in a couple of days.

While I do not doubt the chemistry, I am beginning to believe (from about half of the above posters and my n=1 controlled experiment) that limited use of petroleum jelly on the neprene will not cause immediate damage as indicated by some. It may be occuring but potentially at a rate that does not concern me.

I could be wrong, but nothing that I have observed has indicated such yet.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is an older thread but since it still pops up on searches feel its still relevant. I was debating this with a friend and was searching for data to prove my point that neoprene can handle most chemical applications (used in our daily lives) without issue. Mean lubricants, sunscreens or any other such component that you may find on your skin when putting on or taking off said wetsuit. I remembered back in the date reading several articles for and against and deciding at the time no issue. Upon searching around today i came across this recent blog post on a timex pro forum, seems the concern is still valid but it is as its always been an issue with the stitching not the neoprene itself. Personally i find i replace my wetsuits every few years so dont particularly worry about anything i use as an anti-chaffing agent. Your mileage may vary:

According to blueseventy’s Ben Bigglestone both Vaseline and chlorine will degrade the stitching of your wetsuit. But if you’re a pro and get a new one every year, what the heck do you care? Apparently, neither eats away like acid so base your behavior on how long you want to keep your suit.

Last edited by: ifican: Mar 16, 14 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always avoided Vaseline but a friend of mine claims that he has used it for over 10 years on his wetsuit. I have not closely examined his wetsuit but he was still using it. And out-swimming me.

I know vaseline is cheaper but how much Body Glide do you go through in a season?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and Vaseline or Crisco [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
I have always avoided Vaseline but a friend of mine claims that he has used it for over 10 years on his wetsuit. I have not closely examined his wetsuit but he was still using it. And out-swimming me.

I know vaseline is cheaper but how much Body Glide do you go through in a season?

I don't swim in a suit enough for it to matter, so I use body glide nearly all the time now.

I did cut 1" of the leg off of an old suit and left Vaseline on it for months and left the other leg clean as a control. After literally months, the two looked no different at all.

Not scientific of course, but that's what I witnessed in this experiment.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you notice any differences in how the elasticity changed? Maybe it became dried out and brittle? I definitely wouldn't mind switching to Vaseline since it's easier to find and I usually have some around. Maybe I'll do a science experiment of my own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With that heading, I thought the thread was about what we did Saturday night.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit and Vaseline or Crisco [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noted no diffence at all. Still just stretchy rubber, no scaling, cracking, nothing.

Ironman Certified Coach

Quote Reply

Prev Next