Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Tear
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions on fixing a wetsuit tear?

I've tried a special wetsuit glue and that came apart fairly quickly, then I ordered these patches which I ironed on and those fell off before I even got out of the water...

The tear is horizontal on the back said of my left calf and is about 6 inches long.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Tear [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depending who you bought from repair could be free....................Desoto repaired mine for free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possibly a warranty job?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a big sewing needle and stitched it up using dental floss, then covered that in shoe goo. How does it look? Well... about like you'd think. But it fixed the hole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How deep is the tear? All the way through the suit?

Pictures would be helpful here.

If it is all the way through, it will be a tough fix, and likely you will need a professional repair done.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
Any suggestions on fixing a wetsuit tear?

I've tried a special wetsuit glue and that came apart fairly quickly, then I ordered these patches which I ironed on and those fell off before I even got out of the water...

The tear is horizontal on the back said of my left calf and is about 6 inches long.

Last year I repaired an L shaped tear in a similar place (lower rear of right calf) by using wetsuit glue first, then putting an iron on patch on each side. I'm not sure if you're saying you used both at the same time. It took several goes at the glue before I was happy enough to iron on the patches. I put one path on the inside and one on the outside, and was very careful to make sure they were flush with the suit and that every part of them got hot enough to get sticky. I used it once last year and I've used it for one practice swim and one race this year and the iron on patches have started to come up at the edges, but the glue is still pretty strong. I trimmed back the edges and they're still covering the tear, so it seems okay for the moment.

I think it's because the patches don't flex the same way as the suit that every time I take it on and off, the patch works itself off. I don't know this solution is permanent, but mine has worked okay. Also, there's a LOT of glue on there, so it's a little lumpy, but I'll take some lumpy glue over having to buy a new wetsuit. :-)

John
Quote Reply