Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Recommendation
Quote | Reply
Doing my first 70.3 in October in Austin. I'm really green. Need some recommendations for wetsuits....brand, sleeveless or not??
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Recommendation [KBaily] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan just ran a series of wetsuit reviews on the front page. You should start there.

Sleeves, yes. Sleeveless, no.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a marginal swimmer, just did my first 70.3 and Olympic races this season. I love my Roka Maverick Elite. Fantastic flexibility, insane buoyancy in the legs, encourages good body roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the water temp at Austin like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desoto T1 2 piece all the way

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive got a Blueseventy fusion that I like quite a bit. fits well, good flexibility, decent price

I would recommend seeing if there is a store near you that lets you try them on & swim with them. Itll feel a lot different than without a suit, especially if the suit has sleeves. Some people like sleeves, some hate them. It seems like it is more of a person to person thing that you need to try/determine for yourself
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Recommendation [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't say it enough - t1 wetsuit should be in consideration for anyone looking for a new wetsuit!
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Recommendation [brewerbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T1 is unisex, right? I'm female....does it make a difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Recommendation [brewerbry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I was pretty shocked about is as I am reading the July 2014 Triathlete magazine, they have a big review of wetsuits. First thing they say is FIT is most important. So since I think the Desoto T1 2 piece
provides the best FIT opportunity for everyone I go look at the wetsuits they tested. Guess what NO Desoto. What gives?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is unisex - you can call them and they will provide guidance on sizing and they have a great return policy as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest reading Dan's reviews on the main page as he really seems to be in the know. Here is a brief review of three wetsuits I recently did. A few notes (disclaimer, MOP adult-onset swimmer, not a fish):
  • Full suit for sure.
  • Make sure it fits. Fitting tips when you try them on: pull the suit up, way up. Once you're done with that pull it up some more... and then some more. Give yourself a wedgie.
  • If you're a MOP to BOP swimmer buoyancy trumps all IMO. Look for suits with aerodome and lots of it (Xterra Vendetta, Blueseventy Helix, Orca 3.8 Enduro off the top of my head though I'm sure there are others).
  • Roka makes a very nice, well thought out wetsuit but, IMO, it's best suited to MOP to FOP swimmers or swimmers that are really intent on improving a lot of the next couple of years. Yes, the design makes rotation easier but that only helps, IMO, if you are trying to rotate.
  • A lot of suits do a lot to prop your legs up to aid your body position. For MOP swimmers and FOP swimmers who basically just need a big pull buoy this is a good idea. However, one thing I've noticed is that "green" swimmers tend to push down a lot at the front as they don't rotate to breathe and having their legs higher basically forces their heads lower.

Quote Reply