Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P.
Quote | Reply
Well, it would seem that after three years of purchasing the series originally started by Lifesport Coaching the only race left standing in 2017 will be the Victoria 70.3 race.

Sad to see Shawnigan Lake, Banff, Saskatoon, Vancouver and last years IronGirl and Vancouver 5150 disappear of the calendar. They are left with the race that they really wanted in the first place and the smaller races are no more.

Listings on the ironman.com website for a couple of the races say TBA, it's almost halfway through March so let us be realistic. The expected large numbers expected and predicted and told to City staff did not materialize and surely with the numbers were loss leaders for the brand.

With no announcement on Whistler re-signing made last year, usually done a year out, it will be of interest to see what becomes of IMC?

Thoughts anyone?

Swimmerguy1977

"Swimming since 1978" - Swimmer turned triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [swimmerguy1977] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's only about 1000 registered for IMC this year.

My guess is this might be the last year and it goes to 70.3 only. There's about 900 signed up for the 70.3 (me included).

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
There's only about 1000 registered for IMC this year.

My guess is this might be the last year and it goes to 70.3 only. There's about 900 signed up for the 70.3 (me included).
Whatttt? Serious?

Wait. That can't be right. Site says the race is 80% sold out. There are only 900 names in the PDF list, but I'm not on it and I signed up a while back. They are not updating the list.

Any word on 5150 Vancouver? Still listed on the site as TBD.

http://www.ironman.com/...ouver-triathlon.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what its worth, I registered for IMC on Jan 16th and I'm on the list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm optimistically holding out hope that there is some sort of non-compete between Lifesport and Ironman that runs its course over the next year or two, after which Lifesport fires up another similar series.

Such a shame to lose so many great races that had a grassroots feel, were well organized and were on great courses. It is clear that Ironman never wanted the shorter courses and they have the Victoria 70.3 now.

The series pass was a great option too...
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really sad to see all of these local level races go.

When I was starting out, circa 2009 or so, it seemed you could race just about every weekend during the summer.
I'm still holding out some hope that the Vancouver 5i50 race will be a go this year because I have some unfinished business there.. but as another mentioned, it's getting pretty late with registration not even being open. Perhaps someone like Joe at Dynamics will see an opportunity to revise the race out at Jericho if WTC is done with that event.

Regardless, I'll be supporting races like Cultus, Elk Lake, The Peach classic and the Apple Tri this year

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well this sucks. I've done a few races locally and was looking at short course for 2018. Not many options close to Saskatoon, even less now.
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Joe Dixon puts on good races. Did you ever do the Desert Half before it went away? Always hot and a bike course that started literally at the base of Richter Pass. Hardest race I've ever done.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my Triathlon mag the other day an noticed that:

Westwood Nanaimo goes May17th
Cowichan Challenge n/a for 2017 but coming back 2018

And the little QB Tri appears to be on for June 2x this year.

Don't forget the Triconic in July long weekend Port Alberni - I think I'll do just the swim,

I've never done a branded race as the local races seem to fit the bill for me. A clock is a clock and good racing too.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

rj, the closest thing to Jericho beach venue or the July date will be our end of June race out at Cultus Lake 90 minutes from Vancouver. With the venue out there and the ease of production and without the hassles and cost of dealing with City of Vancouver and Vancouver Parks Board I don't see us adding Jericho to our schedule at this point.

Our sport has hit a flat spot and I don't see Lifesport, or too many others, jumping back in to the mix on a larger scale anytime soon.

We have great venues and are trying to focus on athlete race experience and post-race fun.

Right now, regardless of whether it is WTC or the local club race, if the athlete support just isn't there then they are either taking a break, changing format or simply dropping off the calendar.

Athletes are now waiting longer than ever to register which makes it very challenging for organizers, especially the stand alone races, as organizers try and figure out 2 months out whether it is even financially viable in some cases.

Then you have examples of what is happening this year in Penticton with Peach Classic celebrating it's 35th year and now there being a Standard distance race at Challenge being offered the following weekend.

Interesting times ahead for the sport and what options will be available in the next couple of years once the dust settles and the sport cycles into the next phase.

Joe Dixon
Race Director
Westwood Lake, Oliver Half & Aquabike,
"Wine Capital of Canada" Tri, Elk Lake and Cultus Lake Triathlons
http://www.dynamicraceevents.com
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [Ironboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironboy wrote:
Then you have examples of what is happening this year in Penticton with Peach Classic celebrating it's 35th year and now there being a Standard distance race at Challenge being offered the following weekend.

I understand business is business, but I don't like this. Olympic can be raced on back to back weekends... but I don't think the market can support both. I like the Peach course better.

I'm hoping to make it back to Oliver after several years... but I'm one of those bad athletes who will wait until the last minute.
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand business is business, but I don't like this. Olympic can be raced on back to back weekends... but I don't think the market can support both. I like the Peach course better.

Two BIG things are driving the changes and challenges we are seeing:

1) Numbers in the sport are flat or down.

2) Many triathetes focusing almost exclusively on one big long race a year.

On point number one - it's mostly hard-core long-term people in sport here on the ST Forum - make it a SERIOUS goal of yours this year to introduce at least one new person to the sport of triathlon, by getting them out to a local race. Which leads to point number two.

Those smaller local races with shorter race distances and even the "Give-it-a-tri" really short races for the first timers are key to the growth of the sport. But as noted these races are now being skipped over by many. As a Race Announcer no one is at a greater range of races than I am over a given year. There are many serious hard-core triathletes who I know personally in our local triathlon community here in the Toronto area, that I have NEVER seen at a local race in the past 3 years. Not ounce! That's unfortunate. We can't change these folks behaviors, only encourage them to #RaceLocal more.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did two local races last year and won them both.
Winning sprints and olys against a bunch of noobs doesn't really appeal to me much though.
I have the income and vacation time to seek out challenging interesting events... last year was Alpe D'Huez triathlon which demolished me!

The only time I hear about someone newly interested in triathlon it's starts "I signed up for Ironman". *sigh*
But who am I to judge? It's what got me into the sport 15 years ago.
But these days people are literally afraid of doing a non-branded event.

I am seeing increased interest in cycling.
Fondos and charity rides have opened up a massive non-competitive market that just wasn't served before.
You were either a cat racer or nothing.
Although that means numbers for cat racing are as stagnant as triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But these days people are literally afraid of doing a non-branded event. t.

Why do you think that is? There are some VERY good "independent" Race Organizers out there. One of them, Joe Dixon, is on this thread. He cut his teeth on Race/Event Direction working for IRONMAN. He knows what goes into a great race/event. There should be no "fear" in going to an independent race/event run by a really good Race Organizer.

I am seeing increased interest in cycling.
Fondos and charity rides have opened up a massive non-competitive market that just wasn't served before.
You were either a cat racer or nothing.
Although that means numbers for cat racing are as stagnant as triathlon.

The growth in cycling is a bit of an illusion - overall, cycling, while over all bigger than triathlon, is flat or down as well. What's funny is that many who got into organizing Gran Fondo's when they first started to pop up about 8 years ago, thought - "they will be great training races/events for triathletes". They were totally wrong about this - as discussed so many triathletes just train, and train, and train and train . . . for the one race/event a year eschewing ALL other races/events. If you suggest they do a 100k or 100mi Gran Fondo they look at you kind of funny.

If there is any growth in mass participation cycling events it's in the pure, charity ride type of events. No timing. No prizes. Just come out, ride and raise money for Charity-X

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
But these days people are literally afraid of doing a non-branded event. t.

Why do you think that is?

Because most triathletes are brand whores. That might be a distasteful description, but the urban dictionary definition fits.

I've only done Joe's Oliver race. Love it.

Fleck wrote:
"they will be great training races/events for triathletes". They were totally wrong about this - as discussed so many triathletes just train, and train, and train and train . . . for the one race/event a year eschewing ALL other races/events. If you suggest they do a 100k or 100mi Gran Fondo they look at you kind of funny.

My wife is one of these... but I'm slowly breaking her down.
I think part of the problem is the cost of an Ironman eats up an entire race budget.
On that topic, I love that MEC is doing grass roots races for CHEAP. Like $20 cheap for a half marathon. No frills, no charity, just race and go home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is one of these... but I'm slowly breaking her down.

Slowly she will come around! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Westwood Lake this weekend, regi is closed. And so are the skies! I put a fender on my bike :) Probably wear a rain jacket + fleece too. I like riding in the rain but only when I am warm.

There is a swim controversy, in that the lake is hovering around 60 DegF and the race might turn into a du.
Not sure what the rules are for go/no go but I gather it's a race day decision.

I really want to swim so - I might just take a dip anyway if the swim is called off. Will I be DQ'd?

"The weather forecast is variable at this point, with highs around 16 degrees, 30% chance of light rain."

**Please bring gear to race in that is APPROPRIATE
for the weather conditions**

Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in town for Westwood as well. They call the swim based on TriBC specifications which are based on air temp and water temp. It will probably be cold but I doubt it will end up cancelled or even shortened.
Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [dashelj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any race reports to share on this one? Joe, Angie and race crew did a great job.

I was delusional going in & delirious coming out :P A thrashing of the first order. I thought well take it easy in the swim, chance to dust off the tri-bike for a bit & test my running, which what I have been working on.

Water was 55Degf, & my cap scrunched up. So my ears took a beating. On exit I was sooo dizzy. Crazy - no balance. I staggered to T1 & sat there for ~5+ mins to restore circulation. Clear head now, goal on the bike was just to do a safe ride. If I had a half-decent road bike, I should have been on it. Climbs and descents, no taking it easy. After the 40K my SI joint was roasted and I was toast.

And 10K what? I seriously thought I ended up dead eff last. I asked the water/aid station "I am in last place now?"

Quote Reply
Re: West Coast Subaru Series R.I.P. [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a lot of fun racing out there yesterday. Joe and Angie did a great job of putting on the race and everything was really well done. I'd encourage people to race some of the other races in the series if they can fit it into their race season.

The water felt very cold to me at first, but after 5 minutes or so (and a pretty nice brain freeze!) it became tolerable and didn't bother me further.

I really didn't know what to expect of myself going into this race and really came into it with no other expectation beyond just racing hard. I had a bad hand injury last year and have subsequently moved from Vancouver to Vancouver Island and just recently started a new job. My training is different now - less volume but keeping the intensity up. It was my first race in almost a year and I almost felt like a rookie again.

I had expected Adam to take out the swim hard and to have a decent lead on me out of the water and that is exactly what happened. I felt like it took a while to get going on the bike as we were doing a lot of turning towards the start but once we got out on some more open roads I set it upon myself to see how much time I could put into Adam. At about the 15km mark I started to see him out ahead and I managed to catch up just after the turn around. We traded off the lead a bit from there and then came into T2 together.

From that point I had what was probably one of the most enjoyable runs in a race I've ever had. Adam and I exited transition together and proceeded to run stride for stride for the remaining 10 and a bit km's! I tried a few times to get away from him and he did the same with me, but each move was matched. I had a feeling after the first loop that it was going to come down to the steep hill about 500m from the finish and that indeed ended up being the deciding factor. Adam and I both went up the hill hard but he managed to descend it quicker than I did (my legs felt like jello!) and took the win.

Fun race! The pancakes at the finish were a great reward :)

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
2) Many triathetes focusing almost exclusively on one big long race a year.

FWIW, this is me -- i used to do all of these local races -- this year, focused on ironman texas instead (tired of whistler) and plan to spend more time with the kiddos over the summer, no racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great racing and report. Fantastic finish, like an iron war. I should have packed it in just to watch you guys. Funny thing tho as I was gathering things up during the awards, I heard big cheers and your names/times being announced. I was like holy crap that's fast!

The swim start got me by surprise, I was at the back and did heads-up FS to the first turn because my face was falling off. People were all over the place. Dumb as it sounds, I honestly thought we had to swim to the far corner of the lake but I just followed the pack and then got the drift it was just yellow to yellow. I'm super lazy and never found a set of feet to hang off, as nobody was swimming straight! That's the coldest water I've been in - and exiting the swim in a box was on my mind. My personal cut-off temp at Sproat is 59 DegF.

Bike question : What gearing did you use? I was on a standard chainring 53/39 with a 12-30 cassette and taxed on that one climb.

The run had some real muddy traps I am surprised nobody bit it there, especially at speed.

Until next year - scene of the crime :)

Quote Reply