Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies?
Quote | Reply
It's accepted as fact that 1 length = once across the pool, and 1 lap = out and back. This is coming from my D1 swimmer friends. Had a minor disagreement during masters class with someone who disagreed. I felt so bad for him that I just shook my head and agreed so as to not totally embarrass him.
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You did right. He is probably looking it up right now and is feeling pretty embarrassed. If it comes up again, then press him to look it up. It's not worth arguing.

Don't get too cocky. We all KNOW dozens of obvious facts that are quite the opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The term "lap" to me means that you end up where you started. Doesn't matter if it's out and back in a pool
or around a track you finish the "lap" when you are back where you began.

That's about as dumbed down as it can be explained. Why some people don't get this
is beyond me.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 22, 14 15:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuck.
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
The term "lap" to me means that you end up where you started. Doesn't matter if it's out and back in a pool

That's about as dumbed down as it can be explained. Why some people don't get this
is beyond me.

That's exactly how I interpreted "lap" also. But what if your in a 50m pool and racing a 50m. Would a length then be a lap.
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

is beyond me.

That's exactly how I interpreted "lap" also. But what if your in a 50m pool and racing a 50m. Would a length then be a lap.

No. If you are in a 50m pool and doing a 50 free the race is one length.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
the race is one length.

half-lap!!!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Rover24 wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

is beyond me.

I know, just being a d bag, probably should have put it in pink.
Last edited by: Rover24: Oct 22, 14 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [Rover24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rover24 wrote:
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Rover24 wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

is beyond me.

I know, just being a d bag, probably should have put it in pink.

Sly

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So....I may have been dropped on my head. I'm new to swimming, tri, everything fitness this year, so the length vs lap explanation was educational to me, but now seems obvious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[open dictionary]
  • a stage in a swim consisting of two lengths of a pool.
[/open dictionary]

The general definition implies that one has to get back to the starting point to complete a lap.

Last edited by: Runorama: Oct 22, 14 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, my kids are comp swimmers and years ago we had a nice discussion about this over dinner. Dad was always right!

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I had to take a train for the first time in years.
I asked the woman behind the glass for a return ticket.
She asked "where to?"
I replied "well, here of course"

Don't worry, I'll let myself out........

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've encountered people who think 1 length = 1 lap as well. Can't ever agree with that.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:
It's accepted as fact that 1 length = once across the pool, and 1 lap = out and back. This is coming from my D1 swimmer friends. Had a minor disagreement during masters class with someone who disagreed. I felt so bad for him that I just shook my head and agreed so as to not totally embarrass him.

Maybe its an Australian thing but to me and every swimmer/coach I've ever interacted with: a lap = once down the pool. Might be 25m, might be 50, might be something else but its once down the pool. A lap of a 50m pool = 50m. Different for different places perhaps? Either way, don't feel bad for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:

Who the fuck uses "laps" to describe anything related to swimming, except in the most generic, non-specific sense?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going to be pedantic, I'd suggest not calling it a class...
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
jjabr wrote:

Who the fuck uses "laps" to describe anything related to swimming, except in the most generic, non-specific sense?

Anyone who gets caught by the swimmer in the next lane? You know, getting "lapped." It's not getting "lengthed" or getting "out-and-backed."

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Touché.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with you. Here (Aus) we're unique and somewhat special. We make our own rules and our rule is that a lap isn't really a "lap" - it's from one wall to the next. A 50m race in a short course pool is two laps and in a LC pool it's one lap. Every time you turn - that's a lap. If you don't turn and just finish - that's a lap. If you get out half way, that's half a lap (not a quarter). This means I will beat most of you yanks when you come here and challenge me to a one lap race of our 50m pool :)
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:
Agree with you. Here (Aus) we're unique and somewhat special. We make our own rules and our rule is that a lap isn't really a "lap" - it's from one wall to the next. A 50m race in a short course pool is two laps and in a LC pool it's one lap. Every time you turn - that's a lap. If you don't turn and just finish - that's a lap. If you get out half way, that's half a lap (not a quarter). This means I will beat most of you yanks when you come here and challenge me to a one lap race of our 50m pool :)

Wow, sad to hear about all those Aussie babies being dropped on their heads.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:

I call BS. No D1 swimmer uses the terms laps, lengths, or out and back. They all count in terms of 25s, 50s, and 100s. Anyone in a masters class that tries to use laps, lengths, etc should be immediately reprimanded back to set distances.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously...should all of this be in pink??

Who cares? Who talks about laps or lengths when it comes to swimming?

Maybe I should go down and ask our national team coach how many laps the guys did in the morning class...
Quote Reply
Re: Were people who think 1 length of the pool = 1 lap of the pool dropped on their heads as babies? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
gunsbuns wrote:

Wow, sad to hear about all those Aussie babies being dropped on their heads.

Why else do they live in country where every animal is venomous, even the mammals. Seriously, even some of the mammals.
Quote Reply

Prev Next