Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weight loss nutrition question [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me I've always found that adding anything on top of my BMR other than calculated workout calories seems to slow/stall fat loss, so I use calculated BMR and then add workout calories to that. The difference in the 1.2 factor is almost your total needed deficit for the day, worst case if you find you're dropping weight too quickly you can add some calories back in. I would try BMR+50% of your workout calories for a few weeks and see where that lands you. You will likely drop a few pounds very quickly the first week if you start restricting carbs and you haven't been so don't be alarmed if you see your weight drop a few pounds in the first week. Once dropping the water weight levels off then you can see week to week how you are actually doing. If the 2nd and 3rd week you see about a 1lb reduction you are getting the numbers right, if they are high/low you can adjust accordingly. Weigh each AM before getting your day started as your weight will fluctuate a few pounds throughout the day.

Also, on the LBM don't forget you need to subtract bone mass which is probably about 3Kg. How did you go about determining body fat%? I had a dexa scan a couple of years ago and found that all of the caliper methods under estimated what my numbers were, and have seen where hydrostatic and bodpod also underestimate as well as overestimate pretty significantly. To give an idea one of the caliper measurements estimated something like 6%, with the upper ends coming in the 11% range, while the dexa scan was in the 13% range, so they can be pretty far off. If you are indeed at 11.5% then dropping to 154 and maintaining LBM will be difficult and put you at the top of the min level of essential body fat needed which is the 3-5% range...

Weight Current BF% Fat Mass Bone Mass Lean Mass
Actual 164 11.50% 18.86 6.6 138.54
Projected 154 5.75% 8.86 6.6 138.54
Fat Loss 10

Once you hit maintenance protein stays the same, and for the most part carbs do too. I would bring your fat up to fill in the remaining calories, so if you're cutting # is around 50-60 grams then you'll be in the 100-120 gram range. A little more on the protein and carb #s... too much protein can lead to low T levels, so there is a detriment in adding in too much and as mentioned earlier most reputable research shows that anything above around 0.8g/lb doesn’t yield any benefit. Some find that it is more satiating than the other 2 macros so adding a little extra for hunger control is OK, but I would think 1-1.2g/lb is the upper limit. For carbs once you've fully loaded your liver and muscle glycogen any additional carbs beyond what you need for BMR will just get stored as fat. There will be some super compensation from training that increases total muscle glycogen so adding a few extra carbs timed around big workouts isn't a bad idea. I usually have my work-week during maintenance look pretty similar to cutting weeks simply with bigger portions and then after big workouts on the weekend relax my diet and pull in some extra carbs, something like sushi or eating some dessert.

DougEFresh had a great recommendation for helping during the cutting phase. Have a plan for when you get hungry because you will. My plan when I start getting that “going to start gnawing at my arm” kind of hunger is to first go and get a sparkling water, I may go through 2-3 LaCroix’s each day, sometimes more. Usually I find that that helps with the cravings, and his comments about it being more interesting than tap water is true. I'll occasionally drop 1/2 a Nuun tablet in which you could do with regular water as well. Also, as soon as I finish eating my allotted portion I’ll grab a stick of sugar free gum, I’m a lot less likely to grab something I shouldn’t while putting the food away if I am already chewing a piece of gum.
Last edited by: cdub147: Apr 24, 17 4:16
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss nutrition question [cdub147] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the equation that she had listed in that attachment you had posted but I didn't take out bone mass.

So LBM = weight (kg) x (100- body fat %)/100 or 74.5 kg x 88.5/100 = 65.93

so you are saying that it should be (74.5-3) x (88.5/100)= 63

which would put my BMR at 370 + (21.6x LBM) or 1737 calories

I have only those Tanita scales so I don't truly know my BF%. Is it okay to guestimate should I use one of the other equations.

Thanks for all the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss nutrition question [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I used the app to lose almost 15# this winter. And I started pretty lean. Now I'm about pro tour lean at 143# :)

I've found my macros to be generally as recommended at 50-30-20. I try to stay consistent at 200ish deficit every day so about 1/2# per week. I'm still strong. So far.

I do find that after hard or long days I can't deficit. So the metabolism must really roll after a hard effort. I feel like I'm starving if I don't eat a bit over those days.

I'm in the shape of my life and as trim as ever at age 39. Ftp is over 5w/kg. But I've worked my ass off on the bike and with my diet.

I've never been above 160.

Congrats on being able to pull this off! I've been trying to get my bf% down and have had limited success, but I find it difficult long term - which is what's needed obviously. I find the hard part is the fact there is a bit too much guess work when you're only trying to do a ~200cal deficit/day.

How tall are you at 143 pounds? When you say "My stay even intake at 143# seems to be about 2200-2300 with a desk job." Does that include all your calories for the day typically - meaning not replacing you calories burned during riding?

I'm also 143pounds (at 5'8), and 2200 to 2300 seems awfully low to be my average calories consumed each day - BUT maybe that's why I can't seem to lose the weight!

I'm about 5-'11.

When I say 2300 to stay even I mean a full normal day for me. No workout included. My average workout calories per day is in the 1500 range. So generally it takes me about 3800 total calories to stay even.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss nutrition question [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I'm about 5-'11.

When I say 2300 to stay even I mean a full normal day for me. No workout included. My average workout calories per day is in the 1500 range. So generally it takes me about 3800 total calories to stay even.

Ah, OK. That makes more sense. Now that seems too high! You are much taller than me though - I suspect at my height, my baseline, without adding workout calories, is in the 1,800 range. Thanks for the info.

cdub147 wrote:
.....Similar to you, I’m 5’8”ish and I’ve been in the weight loss portion of my schedule and have dropped around 8lbs from around 164 to around 156 while seeing my power on the bike go up and run speeds increase, making sure I am getting around 0.8g/lb (1.76g/Kg) day. I’ve attached a link to a study that used cyclist and triathletes training about 11 hours a week to determine protein needs. There is a lot of debate over the minimum amounts needed, with the most reputable numbers coming in at the 0.6-0.8g/lb a day, and this study found about 0.8g/lb/day required to maintain nitrogen balance.....
Oh my, this just hurts.
No reputable numbers are expressed in a combination of SI units and Imperial units.

Seriously
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss nutrition question [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll PM you with answers to your questions...
Quote Reply

Prev Next