Weight classes in Triathlon?

What are you thoughts on adding an athletes weight into the age group category? How about making weight classes along with the age group factor? In wrestling weight has a major impact on performance, so they even up the competition by creating weight classes. Weight plays a major role in an athletes speed in Triathlon. How many 200+ pound athletes do you see on the podium or qualifying for Kona?

Clydesdale and Athena categories already exist in many local races, and those fields are typically pretty small. That’s enough of a weight class, in my opinion.

Would you also factor height? Maybe bike weight? Weight of running shoe? I see where you’re going, but don’t think it’s needed or possible. If I feel I’m slower than normal and realize I have 3-4 extra pounds on me, I drop those pounds.

works for me because the absurdity of the idea would greatly favor tall people.

What are you thoughts on adding an athletes weight into the age group category? How about making weight classes along with the age group factor? In wrestling weight has a major impact on performance, so they even up the competition by creating weight classes. Weight plays a major role in an athletes speed in Triathlon. How many 200+ pound athletes do you see on the podium or qualifying for Kona?

Nothing would make me more proud than to win the Cisgender 60-62y 240-245lb category.

What are you thoughts on adding an athletes weight into the age group category?

That it would be lame.

They weigh us for hydration purposes at Ironman, so why not use this weight? There is a huge advantage for athletes who have low body weight, so why not even up the competition? How is it possible for a 250 pound athlete to beat a 140 pound athlete? In the sport of Ironman the odds are slim. Just my thought.

ooh, interesting, BMI Age Groups

Doesn’t eating already have competitive events?

If that is fair how come there are no spots in Kona for these classes or athletes?

If the 250lbs person wants to win badly enough I’m sure they would be able to find a way to get down closer to the 140 pound athlete’s weight.

How is it possible for a 250 pound athlete to beat a 140 pound athlete?

Er, they could train harder and lose weight? Clydesdale and Athena classes are already dumb enough. Let’s not get too ridiculous here. Methinks you’re just trolling though…

works for me because the absurdity of the idea would greatly favor tall people.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know where I can buy steel underwear?

I agree! If Warren Sapp trained for an Ironman and raced his odds of qualifying would be almost impossible! He is a world class athlete, but has an unfair advantage. I say put in weight classes! :slight_smile:

sure why not! It’s not about being fair, but it’s about being realistic! Reality is there will never bee a 250-300 pound Ironman World Champion!

ooh, interesting, BMI Age Groups

That would at least be a bad idea that is coherent.

There’s a local tri that I do and they have 185+ ,200+ and 225+ weight classes. I’m 187ish and I just sign up in the regular AG. I am reasonably fast and don’t feel it’s fair. It feels like a cheap win.

The first year I did that triathlon I signed up for the 185+ division by mistake (I was probably 193lbs then) and got 2nd. It was my first triathlon ever. I felt stupid getting the medal.

He is a world class athlete,

No he isn’t.

We need a division for us underweight types :slight_smile:

Does it have to be fair? Age group is already plenty to break up the race in categories. I’d get rid of the clydes and athena as an award category if it were up to me.

Perhaps you would suggest the NBA have a short person league for those under 5 foot 6. Or perhaps the NFL should have a sub 170 lbs league for small guys? Ridiculous.

This sports favors those that are lean. The 200+ pound guys need to get lean to optimize their performance in this sport.