Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weight Loss: What's your one "unique" THING, or TIP you follow...
Quote | Reply
Here's what I'm trying to get at.. It seems all athletes and fit/lean people I know tend to have these one or two unique tips they follow to stay fit or lose extra weight. I'm not talking about the obvious: Counting Calories, Following a good diet, Exercise, but those more random ones that just seem to work for some people and they swear by... To give you an idea, here's some I've heard

- Eating Dinner before 7pm
- Walk 15,000 Steps per day (not including Exercise)
- Only drink Vodka
- Using an unflattering picture of themselves as motivation
- As soon as they get their food, cutting it in half and only eating half portion (Restaurants)
- Sitting in a Sauna after every workout for "x" minutes

There's a few more but my Friday brain is impacting my ability to think of others..

For me, it was simply "No Bread, Pasta, or Rice"
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss: What's your one "unique" THING, or TIP you follow... [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- No alcoholic beverages
- Cook from scratch and dish out all your own food instead of eating out
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss: What's your one "unique" THING, or TIP you follow... [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 5'9", 137, I don't think of it as a weight thing but more about how I want to feel after I eat (I loathe feeling stuffed), but in a restaurant I will sometimes request a to-go box immediately and set aside a portion for lunch the next day. Then I attack the rest like Homer Simpson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing has worked for me as well as going low-FODMAP. It's absurd how quickly it pulled eight pounds off.

In with that, be very careful about what you eat. Ignore calories and just pursue nutrition. Junk food is insanely pricey because it makes you gain weight while displacing nutrition and starting a vicious cycle of being hungry and wanting more junk food and never getting nourished.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss: What's your one "unique" THING, or TIP you follow... [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
At 5'9", 137, I don't think of it as a weight thing but more about how I want to feel after I eat (I loathe feeling stuffed), but in a restaurant I will sometimes request a to-go box immediately and set aside a portion for lunch the next day. Then I attack the rest like Homer Simpson.

So lucky! I love feeling stuffed - it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

What has worked for me - have 12 hours from the last thing I ate in the eventing to the first thing I eat in the morning as priority #1, then no sugary snacks as priority #2, and limit alcohol to weekends only as priority #3. If I do all those things, I always lose weight. If I only do 1 and 2, I lose weight but not quickly enough to feel motivated.

I can normally only do those 3 things consistently for about 10 weeks.

The trick is to beat the sensation of hunger.

Fruit shakes. Great big ones. A couple bananas or roughly same volume of other fruit. Lots of ice. Enough juice to get it to barely swirl. Blender should be totally full. It's so much volume that your hunger is sated for hours.

Also, big cups of ice. Little tiny cubes or ground up. Then fill mostly full with juice. Sucking or lightly chomping on the little ice bits give you 30min of the sensation of eating, w/o hardly any calories. Don't want to chomp "real" ice cubes...that's hard on teeth.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Oct 20, 17 12:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's ok to be (a little) hungry - but to expand on that a little bit, separating "training" calories from non-training calories. I train in the mornings and go to bed a little hungry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Evenly distribute nutrition between meals. Usually means a bigger breakfast and lunch, and a smaller dinner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop eating so much.

But really trying to cut out as much junk as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fast 3x / week. On those days (usually MWF) I simply eat a 500 calorie lunch. Eat normal the other 4 days. Simple and easy to remember. Weight drops off. Don't try hard workouts on those days or the morning after, though, so do it early season.

Eat healthy and slowly rest of year, stop eating at 80% full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lost about 50 pounds over the last few years and what's worked for me:

-Eat within an hour of waking up and drink a big glass of water. Unless you are doing a fasted workout in the morning, but at least get your water in.

-eat every 2-3 hours. I do about 300 calories or something with equal protein/carb ratio. Basically I don't let myself get hungry. When I'm hungry, I eat all the food.

-Protein shake before bed is my favorite. I sleep really well and I feel like it helps with recovery after a tough workout.

-If it has a TV commercial, don't eat or drink it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, if I feel really hungry during the day and have to resist snacking, I’m losing weight. I finish each meal feeling slightly hungry. It goes away 20mins after eating but I need to feel like I’ve been short changed when I finish eating. Drop your intake until you feel hungry during the day and your set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drink a quart of water around 10 minutes before a meal; makes me feel satisfied with sensible portions, insted of eating like there is no tomorrow..
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss: What's your one "unique" THING, or TIP you follow... [Triteacher86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triteacher86 wrote:

-Protein shake before bed is my favorite. I sleep really well and I feel like it helps with recovery after a tough workout.

What does that do?
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss: What's your one "unique" THING, or TIP you follow... [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishgo wrote:
Fast 3x / week. On those days (usually MWF) I simply eat a 500 calorie lunch. Eat normal the other 4 days. Simple and easy to remember. Weight drops off. Don't try hard workouts on those days or the morning after, though, so do it early season.

Eat healthy and slowly rest of year, stop eating at 80% full.

This works great.

I just follow a 16:8 eating window 3x a week. Simple and I feel great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No added sugar, simple carbs mainly to fuel/recover from workouts.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is something that is pretty subjective. Calories in = calories out so most of the tips/tricks are things that work for some people but not others. Here's what works for me:

1) Don't drink calories. I'm not a huge fan of plain water so I use Mio etc. to add flavour
2) Don't eat during workouts under 2 hours (YMMV, some people have to eat after 1 hour and for me it depends on intensity)
3) After you eat wait 20 minutes before deciding if you'll eat something else
4) My go to snack is low-fat yogourt like Source. A container of it (not that I could eat 650g of yogourt in a sitting) has about 280 calories which isn't bad. That means a snack of it is about 90 calories and adding fruit to it is worth it
5) Fruit smoothies made with skim milk, Source yogourt, ice cubes and fruit are awesome and very filling

My 2 cents. It's worked for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My "tips":

1. Don't let that extra 5 lbs turn into 10. It's much easier to lose 5lbs than 10, 20, or ___. For me, it's fairly simple; move more and pay attention to what I'm eating. No magic formula.

2. If I want to eat something "unhealthy", I do, but follow it up with "healthy" eating the vast majority of the time. (And Mother was right...eat your veggies...and lots of them. I like veggies, plus they fill you up.)

I've maintained a healthy weight all my life, so it works for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weight loss is a basic physics problem ... the more you try to complicate it, the less effective you'll be at it. simply balance the in vs. out equation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't eat after supper and even go to bed a little hungry. At our house supper is at 6

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Oct 20, 17 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss: What's your one "unique" THING, or TIP you follow... [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast 3x / week. On those days (usually MWF) I simply eat a 500 calorie lunch.

If you only eat lunch on MWF, that would mean you are doing 6 x 18 hour fasts each week, with 18 hours being the time from one dinner to the following lunch and then again from that lunch to the following breakfast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of tricks...but my one Go to is that I eat a set amount of calories right after any significant workout.

I used to fall into a trap of coming home from say a bike ride. Dinner would be in an hour and I was hungry. So I'd have a banana...then some nuts, ooh...then some crackers...oh a handful of pretzels never hurt anyone!

Before I knew it I had munched my way into god knows how many calories that were not quality.

Now I either have a recovery shake ready or a planned snack. That way I know I'm getting quality calories and not just munching away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

I agree with you about people having that "one thing" though - there was someone here awhile ago who swore by 17 almonds a day or something. (In addition to eating other stuff - but he was serious about 17 as the magic almond number)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Oct 20, 17 16:01
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss: What's your one "unique" THING, or TIP you follow... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't eat after supper and even go to bed a little hungry. At our house supper is at 6

It is my experience that if I go to bed a little hungry I lose weight or at a minimum maintain my weight. If I go to bed feeling full, I gain weight. The amount I eat during the rest of the day seems far less relevant, in terms of weight gain or loss.

Last edited by: Sanuk: Oct 20, 17 15:56
Quote Reply

Prev Next