Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weekly training volume and sleep duration
Quote | Reply
Lately I've been trying to get better about getting to bed earlier so I'm not dragging out of bed for my morning workouts and still have energy to put in a quality day at work and have a good evening workout. In a perfect world I'd get 9 hours a night. But generally it's 7-7.5 with a 9 on the weekend and once in a while a 6 if I'm struggling to fall asleep.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing what people's training volume and average nightly sleep amount is. And if you think your struggling through work or workouts energy wise from not getting enough shut eye.

Avg nightly sleep volume: 7.5 hrs
Weekly training volume: 12-15 hrs

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you are getting tons of sleep compared to me. I wear a Fitbit to help track sleep so I can adjust my patterns when I am getting more tired than usual.

In a perfect world, I would get 8 hours/night. However, that is not possible with my life balance and desire to get more than 10 hours/week training.

Avg nightly sleep volume: 5 - 6 hrs (I get ~7 hours on my one long rest night/week)
Weekly training volume: 10 - 12 hrs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Average training volune: 14 hrs
Hard weeks : 18
Easy weeks: 9
Average sleep: 7.5 hrs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weekly training volume: 10-13 hours
Nightly sleep: 6.5-7.5 hours

I've been meaning to consistently get 7.5-8 hours because sometimes I drag, especially after challenging sessions or 2x days. I compensate with more coffee and cereal.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Garmin 235 for sleep tracking and my rolling 7 day average for the last 6 months or so has been just a touch over 7 hours. Sometimes I'll get 5 one night or maybe 8 another but the weekly average is 7. I'm training 10-12 hours with about 80% of that being running and the other being biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
15 - 18 hr training a week for the past 6 + months
average 8.5 hr a night

I'm 51 - i gotta sleep - it makes a huge difference

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is something that I enter on my spreadsheet:

On a weekly basis...
Average YTD
Training--15.24hrs
Sleep--49.28hrs

Highs
Training--15.24hrs
Sleep--57.5hrs

Lows
Training--19.13hrs
Sleep--42.5hrs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about were everybody else is. 7 hours and 10 - 15 hours training.

What is interesting though is once in a while I'll have a really great workout where I seem to have tons of energy and everything "clicks". I look back at logs and it's because I got at least 2 nights in a row of 8ish hours of sleep. Definitely makes a difference for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Lately I've been trying to get better about getting to bed earlier so I'm not dragging out of bed for my morning workouts and still have energy to put in a quality day at work and have a good evening workout. In a perfect world I'd get 9 hours a night. But generally it's 7-7.5 with a 9 on the weekend and once in a while a 6 if I'm struggling to fall asleep.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing what people's training volume and average nightly sleep amount is. And if you think your struggling through work or workouts energy wise from not getting enough shut eye.

Avg nightly sleep volume: 7.5 hrs
Weekly training volume: 12-15 hrs

My loose equation has always been. 8 hours + 30 mins for each 1 hour of exercise.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting as I was just thinking about this this evening. I have been pretty unwell the past 4 months and am just starting to get back into a bit of a rhythm with training - don't get a pneumonia, it sucks. This season is trashed, but looking forward to 2018 I think one of the big things I need to change is my sleep, or rather lack of.

I am a night owl. I cannot get to sleep before 11pm at the earliest and quite often it will be 11:30 - midnight. I am up at 6:45 and work a very active job on my feet. It is therefore no surprise that I am knackered when I get home to the point where I need an hour or two on the sofa snoozing before I can do anything.

When I am training, I put in around 15 hours per week, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. I probably sleep about 6 - 7 hours a night, which will certainly be impacting my training - need to drag myself out the door most nights. Want to try and do a bit more in the morning, but I am going to need to change my sleep significantly - bed at 9 - 10pm no doubt to be up at 5:30am for a session.

Anyone on here who was the same and has trained themselves to get to bed earlier? Just a case of doing it and your body over the space of a few months will just adjust? If I went to bed at 9pm I would be lying there bolt awake and fidgeting at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start getting up at 0500, and your body will quickly figure out how to lead you to bed by 9 or 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your hour or two of napping after work is likely one of the reasons you can't fall asleep earlier
Last edited by: IMStillTrying: Apr 17, 17 17:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very consistent volume 12-15hrs/week, pretty good intensity in there every single week.

Sleep average 7-7.5hrs/night. A good night closer to 8, a bad one below 7.

Sleep definitely impacts my training. I usually notice the second day after a bad night of sleep. The first day, I can get through, but if I don't catch up/make amends, I start to struggle training-wise.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volume approx. 12 hrs/week. Probably average around 6 hrs sleep/night, sometimes less, rarely more than 7. It's definitely not enough sleep for optimal athletic performance for me, esp. since with a 7 month old in the house that sleep time is often broken up, even if only for a minute if it's my wife's turn to deal with the baby. Interesting question on what it's doing to my cognitive function - have to believe it's having some effect on my work, though I tend to think (for now at least) it is efficiency that is suffering rather than quality of work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironmike78 wrote:
Anyone on here who was the same and has trained themselves to get to bed earlier? Just a case of doing it and your body over the space of a few months will just adjust? If I went to bed at 9pm I would be lying there bolt awake and fidgeting at the moment.

I was/am the same way. Used to work out at lunch and after work because I couldn't get to bed early - I'd do 15-20 hours a week that way. I'm a cpa and in the last few months moved back into public practice after several years away, which at this time of year means late nights. The only time I have is the morning. Now, I'm in bed by 10 and up at 5-5:15. Weekly hours have dropped to 9-12 but it's all hard, rather than junk volume. I hope I never go back to my old ways. I fall asleep a lot easier now that I don't go throwing down caffeine throughout the day because I have to workout later, and any physiological rush from exercise is long gone by bed time. I'd done everything to fall asleep - melatonin, unison, ambien, booze - and forcing workouts to the morning has been the biggest game changer. I guess it took a week and a half, and I don't let it slack on the weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
Ironmike78 wrote:
If I went to bed at 9pm I would be lying there bolt awake and fidgeting at the moment.

Same; horrible sleep habits here. Typically not before 12:30a-1a.

I've found a red filter app (Twilight) on my phone, coupled with slowtwitch forums, puts me right to sleep. Better than warm milk. Last night, reading about 2017 wetsuits knocked me out cold.

Maybe the trick is to force ourselves to start reading slowtwitch at 8:50pm every night?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training - 12-15 hours/week
Sleep - 7-8 hours/night

My main problem is that by the middle to end of the week, I get really restless sleep. Like tossing and turning, waking up multiple times a night. I haven't figure out how to get rid of it, but I have noticed it only happens after I've been training hard for a few days, specifically weekdays where I have to be up by a certain time.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Start getting up at 0500, and your body will quickly figure out how to lead you to bed by 9 or 10.

Even more so when wake up time is 4:20AM and workout starts at 5AM!

I'm also about 5-6 hours sleep, and 10-14 hours training per week lately. I do need to work on getting to bed earlier. But the usual struggles, full time work, two young kids, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have found best to have all ready the night before and just be on bike within 10-15 min max after waking. Ill sip coffee in warm up that made last night and eat at I would in any ride. At times where I have no glycogen (at times very obvious) I eat a bit more during the warm up like a Skout bar which is so easy to digest and maybe a VFuel gel since has some fat which helps. Then spin. But I usually use figbars every 30' with sports drink. I dont waste training time or sleep getting up to eat.

Avg sleep (I track with Withings) :
7:45 - usually in the 7:30 range but on some days I get closer to 9 1-2 days a week. When I ride 2-2,5 hrs before work I am up at 4 am and on bike usually by 4:10 but I got my system dialed and ready to go. Grab coffee in mason jar and bottles rest in ready.

13-18 hrs a week bike only athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [MattQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10-13 hours a week of training with an average of 7.5 hours sleep nightly.

TG's approach above sounds nice, although I am not sure the last time I slept 10 hours in a night (8 hour anchor + 4 hour long ride using that equation) unless I have been sick. I like the approach.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Wow, you are getting tons of sleep compared to me.....

.......Avg nightly sleep volume: 5 - 6 hrs (I get ~7 hours on my one long rest night/week)
Weekly training volume: 10 - 12 hrs
Similar to me.
Typically 5-6 hours sleep. Sometimes as little as 4hrs, occasionally 7 or 8hrs.
Doesn't seem to be a problem unless I have several successive <5hr nights in a row.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty shocked by how little most people sleep. I expected to open this thread and see tons of 9+ hour people. I am not a heavy trainer...peak weeks 12ish hours with yearly average around 7 hours but I sleep 8 hours most nights. Usually once every other week after putting our daughter down I will pass out at 8 and sleep 10 hours. Those mornings I feel like a new man.

I have a full-time job and a young child but my wife and I always prioritized sleep even when our daughter was waking up frequently (i.e. extend the possible sleep period heading to bed at 8 instead of 10). Weekends are typically for chores/errands/long workouts whereas weekdays are for job, family, shorter workouts, and rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7-7.5 per night is consistent with most of the adult population for sleep need although I don't know of any literature that says with regular exercise (if what we do is considered regular) whether or not we need significantly more sleep. Interestingly when I have a harder workout I find that 8-8.5 that night seems to do it for me o/w 7.5 is perfect for me.

The other thing that I find interesting is that most people on this thread workout for 10-12 (or 15) hours and not the 20 hours per week that Slowtwitch is renown for.

Workout: 10-12 hours per week
Sleep 7-7.5 hr/night
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also suspect that most people training around 10 hours/week or more are probably not getting >7 hours/night sleep. My hunch is that they are just guessing. Since I started using a FB to track sleep, I was shocked at how little I was actually getting. In other words, I typically start heading toward bed at 9:30. But then after taking care of evening business and settling into the sheets, I was not actually falling asleep until around 10:30 or later. When the alarm rings at 0500, I only got 6.5 hours of sleep, best case.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly training volume and sleep duration [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?

Average training hours a week when I'm not injured (torn calf muscles and sub Fib head keeping me from run) : 13-16

Right now (bike only): 9-11

Maximum sleep hours a night: 4-5

My body will not allow me to sleep more than this as I constantly wake up if I try to go to bed early. I have tried melatonin and no success. I have to say that I don't really lack energy though, but I wonder if it would help my progression and Injury prevention.
Quote Reply

Prev Next