Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wearing race belts below the bum, wtf?
Quote | Reply
Can someone please she's some light on this? I've notice for a while that a lot of pros wear their race belts fairly low, and last weekend I saw an age grouper wearing his belt below his bum. Not an exaggeration, it actually was below his bum, don't know how it stayed up for the entire run! Is there a logical reason for this? The only explanation I can come up with is they they do it to look 'cool'. Has anyone else notice race belts being worn ridiculously low? And does anyone one know why?
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing race belts below the bum, wtf? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do this.

If I wear it around my waist, after about 10 minutes it will be at my nipples and I have to push it back down.

I have a big ass, so I've found that if I put it below it, my ass keeps my number belt from riding up.
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing race belts below the bum, wtf? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I see. Is the riding up issue a mostly a problem with big guys or skinny guys? The guy I saw wearing his belt below the bum was super skinny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine has never ridden up. Maybe you have it too tight? I always start with mine at my waist but it will fall maybe 1 inch max. Even with gels doesn't fall that far. I've seen some wear it low, but it could be they just don't notice because they have a bunch of other issues going on (like finishing the race). I'll wear the damn thing as a headband if it makes me faster.

Last edited by: TheGupster: Sep 2, 14 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing race belts below the bum, wtf? [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my beer belly keeps the race belt perfectly positioned on my hip line!

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I do this.

If I wear it around my waist, after about 10 minutes it will be at my nipples and I have to push it back down.

I have a big ass, so I've found that if I put it below it, my ass keeps my number belt from riding up.

yeah I have started doing this as well in the past few years. The widest setting on my racebelt will still cause it to ride up to my belly button after a while, which is just uncomfortable. But if I put the back end of the race belt just below my butt, the front stays low. The only negative recourse is that it looks a little odd and that someone might see it and post about it on some triathlon forum on some website. I think that is a pretty fair tradeoff for comfort.
Last edited by: thekidd142: Sep 2, 14 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's annoying if you have them tight while wearing a two piece, less annoying with a tri-suit.

I've typically worn them really loose, they go down to the widest part of my hips and just stay there.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm pushing really hard, my stomach can get all sorts of wonky especially towards the end of the run. Just the tiny bit of pressure from the belt can make it worse.

Plus I can sing the Bum Bum song to myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear mine just below cheek level. If I wear it at the waist it'll end up under my jersey on it's way to my nipples too.

I'm fairly skinny with just enough ass to keep me from sliding out of chairs when seated. Oddly enough the belt stays put when worn low, it's never fallen lower.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Sep 2, 14 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing race belts below the bum, wtf? [thekidd142] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this issue as well. If you look closely at a race with people that have been racing for a while, you'll find it really isn't that uncommon. It is more comfortable for a fair amount of people and those things do tend to ride up the stomach on people that have generously proportioned hip:waist ratios. Putting it around or bellow your butt keeps it in place better even though it looks ridiculous. But going off the ridiculousness, everything else we race in looks dumb too. Spandex, neoprene suits, helmets that look like a scifi comic? Wearing your race belt at your butt just makes you look ridiculous to people who also look ridiculous. Its all relative :)

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wear it at the waist in the front, and below the bum in the back. keeps the belt firmly held in place and prevents the number from flapping around or the belt from rotating any. one less distraction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the triathlon equivalent of sagging. All the cool pros are doing it.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing race belts below the bum, wtf? [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.

Similar deal to rolling a 2 pc tri suit up to look like a man bra, and buying tri shorts that sit (as Dom Mazzetti would describe it) "right above the stem of 'ya dick."

The goal is to look as euro pro as possible.

For bonus points: ramble and struggle to speak English after the race

Source: Michi Raelert

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I do this.

+1

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing race belts below the bum, wtf? [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:

hahahahaha well done!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What's a race belt?
Quote Reply
Re: Wearing race belts below the bum, wtf? [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
This.

Similar deal to rolling a 2 pc tri suit up to look like a man bra, and buying tri shorts that sit (as Dom Mazzetti would describe it) "right above the stem of 'ya dick."

The goal is to look as euro pro as possible.

Source: Michi Raelert

Anorexic doesn't hurt either for that cool Euro-pro look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone does it to look cool - I'm a thin 5'3" female and I wear it just below my hips on the front and around my mid-lower bum in back to keep it from riding up around my waist... I hate having things around my stomach and it keeps the bib from flapping around as well.

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Last edited by: f_ahsile04: Sep 2, 14 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen a lot of pros doing this.

I'm always worried that the belt will slip further and make them trip up. I don't like watching them !
Quote Reply