Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
We lost another one
Quote | Reply
Last night, Bridget Dawson was tragically killed while on a training ride. She was a wife, a mother of two beautiful children, a friend of many, and an incredibly talented athlete. She just won the Women's 55-59 AG at this past Sunday's Vineman 70.3.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/...article89772502.html

Hug your loved ones, cherish every minute, love what you do. Life is short.

She will be missed
Quote Reply
Re: We lost another one [SLOTOPO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sad to hear about this. So the car drifted into the right shoulder for no good reason at 6:45 pm and struck the athlete in the back? Any cell phone records of what was going on?

The more often this happens, the more I feel we need "black screen' when the cell phone is moving faster than 6 kph (faster than walking speed). Want to see your screen, then acknowledge you are not driving and the carrier/telco gets the record that you signed that.
Quote Reply
Re: We lost another one [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
So sad to hear about this. So the car drifted into the right shoulder for no good reason at 6:45 pm and struck the athlete in the back? Any cell phone records of what was going on?

The more often this happens, the more I feel we need "black screen' when the cell phone is moving faster than 6 kph (faster than walking speed). Want to see your screen, then acknowledge you are not driving and the carrier/telco gets the record that you signed that.

Great idea! I've never heard of that.

Running or biking on the road is getting scarier all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Make it something that takes a bit of dexterity too. Also have strong minimum prison sentances for anyone who signs that they are not driving and are involved a car crash, because this is ridiculous.

I don't know if you guys have Provisional plates in the US for newbie drivers, but i was following a young bloke on P plates yesterday who was drifting onto the wrong side of the road :/ He then overtook two cars heading into a blind corner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Yep and if you kill someone that you signed off on, then you should have the book thrown at you.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make it happen Dev. you're in the tech world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was she playing Pokemon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She lives in the same town as me and is a local legend; truly an outstanding athlete. I see her around town training and am always in total awe at her grace and form (which I just don't have). She was supposed to be compete in AG National Championship/Omaha in a few weeks as well. She was supposed to get first and I figured to come in last and we'd be the local bookends.

I ride the road she was killed on almost weekly. I'm always afraid of the folks out on the wine trail getting buzzed, but it sounds like this one was sober. The road is just another one of our rural hilly roads with idiot drivers.

SLOTOPO - are you a SLO person? Just guessing from your handle.

For those who knew here, I'm so sad for your loss. It is maddening.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: We lost another one [htrout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, htrout, born and raised in SLO. Bridget, Karen Aydelott and my wife all trained together. They all podiumed at Vineman four days ago. We all were already making plans for the 70.3 Worlds in Chatanooga. Now, heartbroken...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a tragedy. My heart stopped when I saw her picture with our friends at Vineman. We're having a tri gathering tomorrow night in North County, and this will put a sad damper on it. One of our mutual friends is the speaker.

If this is what it seems, a distracted driver, I'm grasping at our response. Local chatter is that the driver is devastated, but how can, should, or will this effect future safety on roads like 227?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noooo, Bridget?

Can't be, really?

F@#$!!!

W
SLOTOPO wrote:
Last night, Bridget Dawson was tragically killed while on a training ride. She was a wife, a mother of two beautiful children, a friend of many, and an incredibly talented athlete. She just won the Women's 55-59 AG at this past Sunday's Vineman 70.3.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/...article89772502.html

Hug your loved ones, cherish every minute, love what you do. Life is short.

She will be missed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had to check, I saw her on the course. 2:44 bike split pretty good for her age, rest in peace

http://www.finisherpix.com/photos/my-photos/currency/USD/pctrl/Photos/paction/search/pevent/ironman-703-vineman-2016/pbib/1175.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOTOPO wrote:
Yes, htrout, born and raised in SLO. Bridget, Karen Aydelott and my wife all trained together. They all podiumed at Vineman four days ago. We all were already making plans for the 70.3 Worlds in Chatanooga. Now, heartbroken...

I'm 3rd Generation SLO. They were always blowing past me on HWY 1 at incredible speeds and I could never give chase, much as I tried. I was always in awe. I'd also see her out running in MdO occasionally. She is just smokin' fast.

This just angers me that another athlete is lost to a senseless driver. I'm so sad for you and your friends; this must be incredibly difficult. Stay strong and safe.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry! While I never met her, I was at the awards ceremony and remember what a fun group that podium was.
Shocking, and saddening.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the car drifted into the right shoulder for no good reason at 6:45 pm and struck the athlete in the back? Any cell phone records of what was going on?

My solo bike tour ended in the exact same manner, hit by a pick-up, who drifted to the right and his mirror hit me in the back, whilte going 100 kmh. He didn't have a phone in the car and was alone. I had colourful pannier bags, red helmet and a colourful jacket.

I'm not sure how it happens. The mind drifts to thinking about work or finances and just not enough care. I don't know how you stop it but with that and the ever increasing risks of phones and gadgets, I will be staying off the roads. I know the odds are against it happening again but I just don't see how it will get better to be honest.

My heart goes out to her family. It is a terrible thing to go through.

Quote Reply
Re: We lost another one [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
So the car drifted into the right shoulder for no good reason at 6:45 pm and struck the athlete in the back? Any cell phone records of what was going on?

My solo bike tour ended in the exact same manner, hit by a pick-up, who drifted to the right and his mirror hit me in the back, whilte going 100 kmh. He didn't have a phone in the car and was alone. I had colourful pannier bags, red helmet and a colourful jacket.

I'm not sure how it happens. The mind drifts to thinking about work or finances and just not enough care. I don't know how you stop it but with that and the ever increasing risks of phones and gadgets, I will be staying off the roads. I know the odds are against it happening again but I just don't see how it will get better to be honest.

When I was taking performance driving lessons we were always taught that the hands follow the eyes. Don't look at where you don't want to go, look where you want to go. If we were watching the tire wall, tree line, or apex, chances were much higher we would hit it.

I was wondering the other morning if flashing lights and bright colors ever have this effect of drivers? Maybe some drivers are watching the cyclist as they pass and drift right by accident?
Quote Reply
Re: We lost another one [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

When I was taking performance driving lessons we were always taught that the hands follow the eyes. Don't look at where you don't want to go, look where you want to go. If we were watching the tire wall, tree line, or apex, chances were much higher we would hit it.

I was wondering the other morning if flashing lights and bright colors ever have this effect of drivers? Maybe some drivers are watching the cyclist as they pass and drift right by accident?

That's an interesting hypothesis. Soccer goalies take one of two approaches: super bright outfit to draw attention and shots and camo to blend in with the field. Notice how the former is far and away the dominant approach. You would think a neon-outfitted goalie would help shooters track him/her in their peripheral vision and shoot around him/her, but in the real world it apparently just draws shots to the goalie.
Quote Reply
Re: We lost another one [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondered that too.

On my commuter I get much less 'attention' compared to riding the race kit Tri bike.

I get drivers that drift into the shoulder/bike lane AFTER they pass me when I am out there fully decked out (probably trying to check out the bike in the rear view)

Not that I am great looking, fast or anything.

niccolo wrote:
svennn wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

That's an interesting hypothesis. Soccer goalies take one of two approaches: super bright outfit to draw attention and shots and camo to blend in with the field. Notice how the former is far and away the dominant approach. You would think a neon-outfitted goalie would help shooters track him/her in their peripheral vision and shoot around him/her, but in the real world it apparently just draws shots to the goalie.
Last edited by: windschatten: Jul 17, 16 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Utterly tragic and extremely sad to hear two Children have lost a mother, and a husband has lost a wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Totally agree.

Very sad :-(

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: We lost another one [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:

This i why i think fluro colors and flashing lights in the day is a waste of money and probably dangerous. Every race car driver will tell you that you look where you want to put the car, the same thing happens on the road, you drift towards where you are looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to update:
Here's the link to the memorial website for Bridget Dawson. Her family thought the best way to honor her would be to start a Scholarship in her name. Info is on the website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: We lost another one [Pacific John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I drive I see tons of idiots on their phone. All the time. The more I see that, the more I decide to stay inside and ride the trainer.
Sadly, it's likely to be another case of 'oops, sorry, didn't see her' and the driver will get away with a slap on the wrist. This is sickening.
Quote Reply
Re: We lost another one [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then you get idiots like this and it really makes you second guess people and even doing this in general.

Last edited by: zachboring: Jul 23, 16 9:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next