Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
We have the prelimary bike count numbers
Quote | Reply
  The numbers from the 2007 Kona Ironman bike count are in and we have the preliminary top brands.

1. Cervelo 344
T2. Kuota 128
T2. Trek 128
4. Scott 89
5. Cannondale 75
6. Orbea 71
T7. Felt 66
T7. Kestrel 66
T9. Specialized 61
T9. Litespeed 61
11. Quintana Roo 60
12. Giant 59
13. Look 51
14. Guru 36
T15. BMC 15
T15. Principia 15
17. Softride 14
T18 Argon 18 12
T18 Elite 12
T18 Griffin 12
21. Calfee 11
22. Stevens 8
T23. Pinarello
T23. Time
T23 Javelin 7
26. Bianchi 5
T27. Teschner 3
T27. Fuji 3
T27. Ridley 3

Wheels (individual carbon aero wheels)

1. Zipp 1570
2. Hed 263
3. Mavic 189
4. Other 141 (Gravity Zero, Erox)
5. Xentis 111
6. Bontrager 91
7. Corima 80
8. Reynolds 57
9. Shimano 41
10. Spinergy 35
11. Beyond Fabrications 32
12. Lightweight 29
13. Easton 23
14. Rolf 20
15. Planet X 17
16. Blackwell 13
17. Specialized Roval 6
18. Fulcrum 4
19. Ritchey 2

Saddles

1. Selle Italia 540
2. Fi’zi:k 448
3. Selle San Marco 202
4. Specialized 127
5. Terry 120
6. Profile Design 55
7. Blackwell Research 32
8. Serfas 22

Groupsets

1. Shimano 1521
2. Campagnolo 153
3. SRAM 20

Aerobars

1. Profile Design 706
2. Vision by FSA 349
3. Syntace 224
4. Oval Concepts 91
5. Hed Cycling 89
6. Easton 80
7. Zipp 50
8. Bontrager 45
9. Deda Elementi 18
10. PRO 14
11. Giant 12
12. ITM 12
T13. Cinelli 8
T13. Planet X 8
T13. Concorde 8
T16. Ritchey 6
T16. Xentis 6
T16. Pedalsoft 6
T19. 3T 5
T19 Scott 5
T19. Shiramoto 5
T22. Blackwell 4
T22. USE 4
T22. Erox 4
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 13, 07 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I nailed the Cervelo 350 guess then? 2minutes before you posted ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit, I am kind of surprised that Kuota scored that high.

~Jeff Good

Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [jegood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea about kuota or advertising/marketing, but isn't that the bike brand that norman won on? Why wouldn't that be a high count, that's why sponsorships work? It's like kobe bryant wearing some shoe, then all of a sudden, everyone is wearing that brand. Or tiger woods, and all of a sudden everyone is using those clubs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 out of 5 ain't bad but it seems like I've seen a lot more Felts this year.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is crazy. I did not expect a swing so large over last year. Kuota is a big surprise! I know that Norman rides this bike but still that is a very big swing upwards. Orbea really surprises me as well.

Tried to do a side by side comparison but it did not work out very well.

Number one is locked up for sure but big changes under that.
Last edited by: Bman: Oct 12, 07 21:56
Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Biggest surprise is probably the massive drop of QR. Being here, it was pretty obvious.

Shawn

Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely correct. Normann has won twice, crushed the bike split record and this has pulled Kuota way up the list. Not a surprise at all. It's exactly how Trek stayed in the top 3 for so many years with the success of Lance and Discovery. Normann's association with Kuota should in theory be even more telling since it's in the same sport whereas the Lance/Trek combination was on the TDF which is a lot of triathlete's failed to recognise as a different sport.

However I bet you will find that the % of Pro's that ride Cervelo is less than the number of Age Groupers. Most pro's need a bike sponsor but Cervelo don't give out that much. I have the folloing thoughts when I see these IM bike parks.

- AGers are finally understanding Tri geometry and Cervelo has been bold enough to provide that to them. The success of Cervelo in the market share of tri bikes speaks volumes for what the P3C is, more so for the fact that this is achieved without a Hawaii Champion riding one. The absence of this marketing tool is now almost a marketing ploy in itself. The sheer numbers of Cervelos on display is going to convince a lot of AGers that there is something goin on here.

- What would the pro's choose to ride if they were truly free to choose. That would be a very interesting thing to know

- Now that other bike companies are copying the PC3, can Cervelo continue to maintain or even increase market share? I thought 270+ was huge last year at Kona, it was way beyond unprecedented. But ~350 this year has knocked it out of the park.

- Eitherway this is good for triathletes because it is obvious that the bike companies are going to have to make true tri geometry bikes for triathletes. Kuota has indeed been successful with Stadler but it wouldn't have done it without a correct tri bike. Correct tri geometry is now a basic requirement to compete in the market... an entry fee if you like.

OK I need to taper my posting now and get some rest..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree Shawn. That was surprising. See now I am more interested to know what QR has up their sleeve for Bjorn next year and wonder if it will translate into more sales for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And it was a nice touch by Cervelo to hand out t-shirts to Cervelo riders at the bike check in this morning. Thanks! And I am not surprised about the result, everyman and his dog is on a Cervelo here in Kona.

Keren
https://www.triathlonintokyo.org/
https://quintanarootri.com/ https://en-jp.wahoofitness.com/ https://www.worldtriathlonstore.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Biggest surprise is probably the massive drop of QR. Being here, it was pretty obvious.
That and the number of Scott rides - more Scotts than QR's? Wow.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [stevebs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Scott Plasma is extremely popular with the Europeans...they are all over the place here.

Shawn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup

And here`s one off them:

Espen Wagener
Kongsberg, Norway

http://www.espenwagener.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did Kuota rank last year?

I agree that I'm not surprised to see an upswell in their numbers, but that seems like a lot more of an increase than I would have expected, based on where I kind of thought they were.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What would the pro's choose to ride if they were truly free to choose."
--------------------------------------

You can look at last year's Silverman for an clue.

I'll give you a hint...it rhymes with P3C :)

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where's Guru?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Scott Plasma is extremely popular with the Europeans...they are all over the place here.

...and down under...I must see at least one Plasma every day here (NZ). Funny, I predicted Scott in fourth with 87 bikes!

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That's huge for Cervelo!! Congratulations to Phil and Gerard.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//The success of Cervelo in the market share of tri bikes speaks volumes for what the P3C is, more so for the fact that this is achieved without a Hawaii Champion riding one. The absence of this marketing tool is now almost a marketing ploy in itself.//

You seem to be discounting the marketing value of "Two starts, two wins" and all the other Cervelo ads touting their relationship with pro cycling. Who needs a Kona win when you've got the world time trial champ. Seems to me that their marketing strategy is to associate with the big league and let that cover the niche. I'm not a marketing guy, but seems like a reasonable strategy to me, especially if you want to sell R3s to roadies (you'll see Cervelo at a road race in good numbers, but never Kuota).

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the complete list from triatlete mag and i did not see any Planet X. isn't jonnyo riding on his poink lady today?

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it would be too much work, but I'd love to know the different models. I wonder how many of the aluminum P3's are still around.
Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was looking at the complete list from triatlete mag and i did not see any Planet X. isn't jonnyo riding on his poink lady today?

No Titanflex either, that list might not show bikes under 3.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: We have the prelimary bike count numbers [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I know it would be too much work, but I'd love to know the different models. I wonder how many of the aluminum P3's are still around."

I think that this type of breakdown would be very interesting. The one thing that you don't see very often on the pier in Kona is a low-end bike. Most of the triathletes that are there wouldn't think twice about dropping $3000 or more on a tri bike. Kuota had very good pricing on the K-Factor this year but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the Kuotas on the pier are Kalibers. Cervelo has set the bar high and for other companies it seems that they can't just market a bike that is "as good" as a Cervelo but they need to make it a better deal or "better" some other way to sway consumers. I think that this may be the problem that QR is having. They make excellent bikes and have for a long time, and if you like to ride steep and low they will fit you well. They seem to have good aerodynamics but they don't publish any numbers or hype the aero design so, given the choice of spending 3k on a P2C or QR Caliente, most seem to be picking the Cervelo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, Congrats to Cervelo and Kuota. Amazing the hike Kuota has, shows male athletes do sell bikes. Herbert, who did the counting this year?
Great to see titanium holding it's place with litespeed..just wait till the new blade...ooppss! did i say that..lol

Deano
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2007 ---- 2006
1. Cervelo 344 ---- Cervelo 257
T2. Kuota 128 ---- Trex 123
T2. Trek 128 ---- QR 116
4. Scott 89 ---- Kestrel 83
5. Cannondale 75 ---- Cannondale 83
6. Orbea 71 ---- Kuota 77
T7. Felt 66 ---- Litespeed 69
T7. Kestrel 66 ---- Scott 66
T9. Specialized 61 ---- Specialized 58
T9. Litespeed 61 ---- Giant 56
11. Quintana Roo 60 ---- Felt 40
12. Giant 59 ---- Guru 38
13. Look 51 ---- Look 38
14. Guru 36 ---- Orbea 34
T15. BMC 15 ---- Softride 23
T15. Principia 15
17. Softride 14
T18 Argon 18 12
T18 Elite 12
T18 Griffin 12
21. Calfee 11
22. Stevens 8
T23. Pinarello
T23. Time
T23 Javelin 7
26. Bianchi 5
T27. Teschner 3
T27. Fuji 3
T27. Ridley 3

sure hope this formats ok

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Oct 13, 07 8:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next