Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hmmmm. I gotta double check on that. I had bet that nobody would call BS on a wattage claim, because there obviously could be NO wattage claim, but you may have a point, I might be able to keep my dough.

Post #18:

"I'm either calling BS or hiring you as my coach. 27+ mph for a 210lb dude on 260 watts is arousing my skepticism."

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at the least you should send tom a. $50 for making the argument on your behalf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or better yet, i'd pay $50 to watch a cage match between you and jerry jayne. that's way better viewing than the two of you flogging tt bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "real" file. Speed, cadence, HR. all actual data.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Last edited by: E_moto: Dec 9, 09 21:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So...the real question is, why didn't you just slap a cover on your PT wheel?

Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't have Tufos mounted on my PT wheel. IF I dont run Tufos..............man, ................I cant even talk about it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I didn't have Tufos mounted on my PT wheel. IF I dont run Tufos..............man, ................I cant even talk about it.

Must...not...respond...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey according to your file 55:06 for 23.045 mi ~ 59.47 for 40K

Not quite 55:06 for 40K....so regardless of power output, your performance was more in line with slightly sub 1 hour vs 55 minutes?

Coming on here and claiming to do a 55 min 40K is like 38 minute 10K coming on here and claiming he's a 32 minute guy....no?
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan, right, right, right.

Phil Combs, wrong, wrong, wrong (with his faith in humanity shaken).
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [phil combs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year I was able to go 58:15 in my first 40KTT at an ave Wattage of 264, of course the turn around must have cost me some Wattage. I too am 5'10", albeit 165lbs at the time. It is hard to believe I could be that unaero...but would love to figure out how to do it on just 225 Watts. I don't think it is possible, but willing to learn if it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. 55 is a totally different ball park.

Quote | Reply
You're the man Brian. Thanks.

Quote | Reply
Ha! I know I don't say much around here but that is funny, Tom. The kind of laugh I usually have to hit LetsRun for.

Mike...
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [mtlrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a comparison between a 60 min 40 kph guy and a 55 min guy using 0% grade and the standard default data at analyticcycling.com...we're talking about the diff between a 240W guy and a 310W guy @ 75 kg (rider+bike)

60 min guy:
Forces On Rider

Frontal Area 0.50 m2 Coefficient Wind Drag 0.50 dimensionless Air Density 1.226 kg/m3 Weight 75.0 kg Coefficient of Rolling 0.004 dimensionless Grade 0.000 decimal Wind Resistance 18.9 kg m/s2 Rolling Resistance 2.9 kg m/s2 Slope Force 0.0 kg m/s2 Cadence 100. rev/min Crank Length 170. mm Pedal Speed 1.78 m/s Average Pedal Force 136.4 kg m/s2 Effective Pedaling Range 70. degree Effective Pedal Force 350.8 kg m/s2 Speed 11.11 m/s Power 242.8 watts

55 min guy
Forces On Rider

Frontal Area 0.50 m2 Coefficient Wind Drag 0.50 dimensionless Air Density 1.226 kg/m3 Weight 75.0 kg Coefficient of Rolling 0.004 dimensionless Grade 0.000 decimal Wind Resistance 22.5 kg m/s2 Rolling Resistance 2.9 kg m/s2 Slope Force 0.0 kg m/s2 Cadence 100. rev/min Crank Length 170. mm Pedal Speed 1.78 m/s Average Pedal Force 173.3 kg m/s2 Effective Pedaling Range 70. degree Effective Pedal Force 445.7 kg m/s2 Speed 12.12 m/s Power 308.6 watts

That's kind of why I compared 60 and 55 to a the 32 and 38 min 10K runner, as run speed is more of less linear to fitness (well, not really at 32 min 10K pace self generated wind is a factor).
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris,

It would take a field of Euros to make the results sheet look like that on the River Rd., Stillwater course. And that's just an honest out-n-back 40 with some rollers.

Mike...
Last edited by: m.wynn: Dec 9, 09 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Scott....here is a data point for ya. At Esprit on a flat course on a reasonably windy day, I did 2:19 for the 88.5K course (not 90....so really 2:21) off 231 Average watts (including coasting at 20 hairpins ~4-5 second each and 20 south side turns around 2-3 second each). I think we have pretty similar aero positions (well, yours is better for your size, but I am smaller to start) and did pretty well the identical bike performance at Tupper. Not sure how many more watts I would have needed to go from 2:21 to 2:15 (40 kph), but sadly for me, I think it would be well in excess of 30 W. Unlike Tom A, I've found that I cannot be so aero that I can't run off the bike (at least for me, when I get any lower, my runs get bad). But if it were just a TT, I think you can do it off much less.
  • Helmet: LG Chrono
  • Tires: Vittoria Corsa CX
  • Front Wheel: HED Stinger 60
  • Rear Wheel: Zipp 808
  • One seat tube mounted bottle
  • Bike: Kuota Kalibur barn door (ML's words)
  • Flapping race belt (no choice have to wear the number)
  • Winds were not benign (can't remember what they were, but 20-30 kph rings a bell)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, Yea. With this data, and what Brian suggested, 250-265ish seems like a reasonable, though daunting, target for someone of my build/position. Ouf, it's going to be a long off season of painful 20 minute intervals.

Quote | Reply
Totally agree with you. Never meant to imply he was lying. Just erroneously throwing out incorrect numbers.

You can without a doubt bust way under 60 on your target wattage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey according to your file 55:06 for 23.045 mi ~ 59.47 for 40K

Not quite 55:06 for 40K....so regardless of power output, your performance was more in line with slightly sub 1 hour vs 55 minutes?

Coming on here and claiming to do a 55 min 40K is like 38 minute 10K coming on here and claiming he's a 32 minute guy....no?

Look, let's be clear about a few things.
First, my post was never to lay claim to some astonishing figure. If between now and 3 years ago I forgot that it was not exactly 40k, because it was really NOT that important to me ,well.........heck, you got me.........I forgot, SHOOT ME.

IF for whatever reason, I need to lay claim to a 40K TT any time soon, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Let's set up something worthwhile down at Fiesta Island. When I knock off a 55min (or less) 40K, then I get to have my picture taken at the finish line with you smooching my bare ass, and I get to post up the picture on ST for a year.

Bring it on, IM ready to ride; and its the off season so............your best chance of not having to smooch my hairy ass is taking this bet sooner, vs. later.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott....I think you can do it ! The Tupper Lake number is articificially "low" due to all the zero watt coasting on downhills. What other races do you have data for?
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't read through the whole thing before my previous post but happy to see my suspicions confirmed. Funny bet though. I did not notice the lack of PM in the pic.

Back on track for the OP, I don't usually throw things like this out there, but I think you are looking for a verbal opinion sort of answer, and I offer mine below.

To break 40k you need roughly these watts, assuming a favorable but honest course.

200-215 - if you are smallish with an excellent position and equipment choices
215-235 - a good but not excellent 160 or so lb'er
235-265 - getting into pretty good to average for anyone who does the minimum homework, great road position
265-300 -getting below average / pretty bad, big, poor position, equipment choice put a large % of us into this range.
300-320 -guy on a P3 in typical IM set-up with two bottles out back, noggin in the breeze, number flappin over his Gatorskins, multiple small mistakes costing big time
320-400 - more upright road and comfort bike set ups
400+ -your beach cruiser with over inflated tires
about 170 or so - Carl Spackler riding Tufos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's a reasonable goal for the spring. Are you using a power meter now? I didn't notice one on your bike at Epicman this year. Did you borrow one for Esprit?

In any case, I dug out the file for Muskoka this year. If i remember we had almost identical bike splits there.
55.92km @ 214avg (3.05/kg), good for 35.12km/h avg and a split of 0:1:35:36 on the computer.

Cheers.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Chris,

It would take a field of Euros to make the results sheet look like that on the River Rd., Stillwater course. And that's just an honest out-n-back 40 with some rollers.

Mike...

Is there actually a TT down on river road? If not there are there some local 40k TT's? I think that would be fun, well more painful fun than fun fun but you get the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think it's a reasonable goal for the spring. Are you using a power meter now? I didn't notice one on your bike at Epicman this year. Did you borrow one for Esprit?

In any case, I dug out the file for Muskoka this year. If i remember we had almost identical bike splits there.
55.92km @ 214avg (3.05/kg), good for 35.12km/h avg and a split of 0:1:35:36 on the computer.

Cheers.

Dev has a srm and a computrainer these days, no more wildly guessing watts for him :-)

How goes the swimming? Is Dev's offer to buy you a power meter still good if you beat either him or ML to T2?
Last edited by: Chris G: Dec 9, 09 19:13
Quote Reply
Re: Watts/Kg for 60 minute 40km time trial. [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming. Why do you have to bring that up in an obviously bike related thread. It's like to want to hurt me, like you are trying to hurt my feelings.

Prev Next