Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear?
Quote | Reply
The Waterman's Half is on Saturday, near the IMMD area but on higher ground (apparently), and the swim is in a protected harbor. Also, it looks like the storm is tracking out to sea. They are still a go as of 4PM today. This is my first Half, so I have been desperately hoping it is a go. I live in the DC area, and there is a propensity for panic when storms come, so I commend the organization for being patient. I also completely understand IMMD having to cancel. Waterman's is a small race with mostly locals--much easier to wait to decide. Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned any of this. I have no interest in igniting a debate. I really just want to know what I need to wear to finish this thing:

It looks like 55-61 degrees with 20-23mph winds and maybe light rain for the bike. I have no experience doing a tri in anything but hot. I figure I will wear a wind/rain jacket over the kit, maybe arm warmers, but my legs?? All I have are winter bibs and that seems a bit much. I really only have tonight to get anything. 3/4 knickers maybe? I would like to not run to the store and spend $150, but I also don't want to be 20 miles into the ride and freezing my wet ass off.

And for the run, I figure I will play by ear. Maybe a fresh dry top and some tights?

I will probably end up hauling a duffel into transition full of clothes, towels and trash bags...
Quote Reply
Re: Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear? [nickfresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill have a go:

1) neoprene toe covers. You dont need the whole bootie, just the toe covers. The full booties have never seemed to keep things as warm for me in Maine.
2) Throw a contractor garbage bag on you bike. It is small(ish) yet very tough as a poncho. If needed, wear it under your jersey to keep things aero.
3) fingered gloves.
4) Arm warmers
5)grocery store bag to stick in your crotch to keep your bits and pieces from catching too much wing through the bike shorts.

The toe warmers are key...trust me. the rest can be substituted with other stuff that you may already have at home.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Ill have a go:

1) neoprene toe covers. You dont need the whole bootie, just the toe covers. The full booties have never seemed to keep things as warm for me in Maine.
2) Throw a contractor garbage bag on you bike. It is small(ish) yet very tough as a poncho. If needed, wear it under your jersey to keep things aero.
3) fingered gloves.
4) Arm warmers
5)grocery store bag to stick in your crotch to keep your bits and pieces from catching too much wing through the bike shorts.

The toe warmers are key...trust me. the rest can be substituted with other stuff that you may already have at home.

Stephen J

full booties are more aero :-D
Quote Reply
Re: Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is an iPhone app. "What to wear cycling". You can enter your own conditions or have it automatically look at the current weather. You enter info about how you like to feel on the bike (warm, cool)...and it tells you what to wear. It has nailed it every time for me.....training rides. Haven't used it for race day but have a late season tri this year and probably will.
Quote Reply
Re: Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
stephenj wrote:
Ill have a go:

3) fingered gloves.
4) Arm warmers

Stephen J

full booties are more aero :-D
That depends on the bootie. toe covers wind up more aero in most cases as it smoothes the flow over the straps, but does not add much frontal and generally introduces fewer seams, wrinkles, etc.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the olympic that day and can't really figure out what to bring also.

Having been cold and wet in other races, I don't want the same experience. I also don't want to cook.

I am going to use toe covers and wind blocking gloves for sure. I will have a Gore soft shell jacket but doubt I will put it on unless it's really raining. It has zip off sleeves so that is an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear? [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
second that on toe covers! I did learn something living in Boston all those yrs.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear? [nickfresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And now this race has been cancelled, too:

Watermans Triathlon Weather Update

October 2, 2015

Rock Hall, MD

After a final meeting this morning with Rock Hall and Kent County officials the decision has been made to cancel the Watermans Triathons. The forecast for rain in the area has
increased along with the wind speeds for the weekend. Resources for the event could not be guaranteed, so for the sake of athlete and community safety the decision was made to cancel the event.

There is no rain dates for these events, the next race in Rock Hall will take place June 4-5,

2016. All athletes will be contacted by Wednesday October 7 at noon with their specific 50% discount code good for any event in our 2016 schedule.

We left yesterday's meeting believing we were a go for this weekend and are as disappointed as you are. We love to race, even in the rain, wind, and cold. If we knew the
resources would be available to support the event we would have it. We waited as long as possible to make this decision while keeping in mind folks travel plans. It's been a great
season and we look forward to hosting you in 2016.

Greg Hawkins - Race Director
Virginia-Maryland Triathlon Series
We Dare You To Tri Celebrating 11 years in 2015!
Quote Reply
Re: Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear? [onemuddyshoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S#%t. Although I wasn't convinced it was going to happen until I was actually jumping in the water. Four months of training for my first half and a hurricane is what keeps me from the finish line? You have to laugh at that. Or cry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickfresh wrote:
S#%t. Although I wasn't convinced it was going to happen until I was actually jumping in the water. Four months of training for my first half and a hurricane is what keeps me from the finish line? You have to laugh at that. Or cry.

Also just saw that. Although I was not really sure if I wanted to race or not, particularly since a lot of errand type stuff came up for the weekend.

Also bumping for those who might not have found out about the cancellation yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear? [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unfortunately had to see this coming. If the big Ironman machine bows of of MD, you have to expect them to do the same here. I applaud them trying to wait it out, but the same fate had to be seen
Quote Reply
Re: Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear? [cmuler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's unfortunate, but I appreciate them trying to put the race on under difficult circumstances. That being said, I was impressed with the way vtsmts has communicated with the racers over the last few days - keeping us in the loop on decision timelines, so we knew when to expect updates. Alas, it was not to be, and my offseason starts a day early :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickfresh wrote:

Tropical Storm Hanna prevented me from my doing my first ever triathlon back in 2008. It happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should be mad, but i am glad. I wasn't going to race the half, and thought about going down to the Olympic, but i have lost my desire to ride for this year. Except for this season all of my previous races have been beautiful, sunny and warm. This year my first race rained so hard i dns due to my concerns of visibility from cars, it was supposed to pour at patriots half, this was canceled due to hurricane issues. Weird year. Hopefully next year will be better.

Stay dry!
Quote Reply
Re: Waterman's Half. Near IMMD. Not Canceled--What to Wear? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was this years Patriots.. I know what you mean about the weather report but it ended up being a great day for the Oly and Half. Much better than the year before with upper 90s and some serious humidity! I staffed at Patriots this year and while dropping signs, doing a final sweep of the bike course it was pouring at the far end the morning of for a few minutes. I was thinking it might be a dicey day... but it held off and the storm actually split around the race site... for the most part :)
Quote Reply