Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Water temp at Boulder
Quote | Reply
whats the best guess? wetsuit legal or not
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
71F today...I believe it got up to 76F last year the week before the race - I think race day was 74F.

Just depends upon a bunch of external factors - I would bet on a non wetsuit swim for the pros and wetsuit swim for AG.

After the toasty swim in CDA in a fullsuit (where I got warm), I'm bringing a sleeveless to Boulder, plus a swimskin, just in case :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, why would it be different for pros v AG. Is the threshold/limit different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the cutoff for pros is 71F
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, different thresholds:

http://m.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz3g6OZVtrQ

In a nutshell, up to and including 71.5 for pros and 76.1 for AG.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Water temp this week has been anywhere from 71 to 73 so far. Should be a wetsuit swim

DC

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
dave.christen@ironman.com
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [Bouldertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news. Thanks for the update!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Is the swim exit up a ramp, sand beach, grass or what? Thanks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be up a boat ramp...concrete

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
dave.christen@ironman.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No real pro field at Boulder this year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw that - too bad.

I would think that with the date of the race and the location, it would be a good venue for WTC for those pros trying to tie up the back end of the KPR before the August 23rd deadline for the 2015 qualifying year.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Just saw that - too bad.

I would think that with the date of the race and the location, it would be a good venue for WTC for those pros trying to tie up the back end of the KPR before the August 23rd deadline for the 2015 qualifying year.

WTC can probably sell out this race without a pro field just because it is in the center of the triathlon universe.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
until it starts to trickle out that despite the course being largely flat it's a really hard course for all but the most prepared athletes. No out of town speedies really came to play last year. Top ranks were dominated by all locals. 20% humidity and a microwave sun aren't easy things for the new initiates to get used to. And _maybe_ altitude too.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bouldertri wrote:
Hey guys,

Water temp this week has been anywhere from 71 to 73 so far. Should be a wetsuit swim

DC
DC, any update?
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [tigerblood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp was reported as 74 at today's BAM swim. It felt colder than that though. I swam with a sleeveless and was chilly. Windy morning and water was really choppy.
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [mndiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mndiver wrote:
Water temp was reported as 74 at today's BAM swim. It felt colder than that though. I swam with a sleeveless and was chilly. Windy morning and water was really choppy.

Felt colder to me too. Some patches of much cooler spots too. They must get their reading right from the shoreline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey DC, I've missed the info about any practice swim tomorrow morning? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam yesterday too. It seemed warm. I am wearing a speed suit - wetsuit would be way too hot for that distance.

It'll be wetsuit legal though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
until it starts to trickle out that despite the course being largely flat it's a really hard course for all but the most prepared athletes. No out of town speedies really came to play last year. Top ranks were dominated by all locals. 20% humidity and a microwave sun aren't easy things for the new initiates to get used to. And _maybe_ altitude too.[/quote]

I know 20 percent humidity and altitude combined would kill me. May as well just race in a decompression chamber turned up to mil spec extended temperature range.

To tell you the truth, few times at IM Canada whistler on the verge of dropping out I thought, "this is a waste of peaking to perfect fitness...I'm going to get a slow time anyway...I should bail and try to get into Boulder or Maastricht". I think the latter would have been the better option...at least it is not in a decompression chamber at high heat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
Swam yesterday too. It seemed warm. I am wearing a speed suit - wetsuit would be way too hot for that distance.

This for me as well

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:

76.8 yesterday and 75.7 this morning so it's really close but yeah, probably wetsuit legal.

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any news on this? I'm hearing of folks scrambling for speed suits.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Water temp at Boulder [kfc_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will be close call
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It has to be cooler than Lake 288 in South Houston where I did my last open water swim. The water temp there two Friday's ago at 4:30PM was 93 degrees, warmer in other areas of the lake. I swam a little over 2 miles and have not felt that dehydrated in a very long time. Of course I did not wear a wetsuit there. I am hoping for no wetsuit tomorrow but I did bring a sleeveless just in case.

Good luck to all. Save some beer at the finish line for me.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next