Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Watch question
Quote | Reply
I currently have a Garmin 310. I want a watch that has the ability to read power every 3 or 5 seconds instead of every second, and do all the other stuff that my Garmin currently does. Any ideas, and which one do you prefer?
Quote Reply
Re: Watch question [nocolonstlrolln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin 935 https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/564291

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that every current Garmin product gives you options to show power instantaneous, 3s average, or 10s average. You have three solid choices, depending on budget, fashion, and battery needs
  • 735XT - cheaper, lighter, smaller
  • 935 - mid-priced, medium sized, medium weight, long (IM) battery life, latest internals
  • Fenix 5 - highest priced, biggest, heaviest, fashionable battery, forever battery, latest internals

Quote Reply
Re: Watch question [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder when Garmin will have the 935 back in stock. I know tons of other places do, but curious when the Garmin store will. I missed the initial offering.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Watch question [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inside Out Sports has a bunch of them

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Watch question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I think that every current Garmin product gives you options to show power instantaneous, 3s average, or 10s average. You have three solid choices, depending on budget, fashion, and battery needs
  • 735XT - cheaper, lighter, smaller
  • 935 - mid-priced, medium sized, medium weight, long (IM) battery life, latest internals
  • Fenix 5 - highest priced, biggest, heaviest, fashionable battery, forever battery, latest internals

Have you held the Fenix? I have the 5s, which size for size is comparable to the 935, and it is super light.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch question [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I don't have one and I was comparing to the Fenix 5. Though, the Fenix 5s is a sweet little package. The Fenix 5 is both thicker and larger in diameter than the other watches. The Fenix 5s is heavier and thicker than the other two, but it is smaller in diameter. The 5s trade-off is lower screen size and resolution (like the 735XT.) The Differences are not a lot, but the Fenix watches are bigger and heavier than the 935 and 735XT. The other slight down-side to the 5s is shortest battery life. The 5s is kind of like the fashionable alternative to the 735XT-- smaller than their big brothers and optimized for HIM and shorter.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Apr 25, 17 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: Watch question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, the 5s is closer to the 735*

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fenix 5 if you don't mind the higher price and the added weight (watch is metal instead of plastic).

935 if you must have optical heart rate.

If you don't care for the optical heart rate you can save a ton of money and get a 920.

There's no compelling reason to buy a 735, whatsoever. It is only $50 cheaper than 935 and only slightly smaller, with a far worse battery life and no altimeter. If this watch dropped to $300 then maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch question [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Fenix 5 and love it. The weight difference between my old 920 and my F5 is not noticeable when swimming, running etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Watch question [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the 920 have the capability for me to change the power reading to 3 or 10 second increments?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nocolonstlrolln wrote:
Does the 920 have the capability for me to change the power reading to 3 or 10 second increments?

The user manual says it can display 3s, 10s and 30s average power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the power readings are the only reason you are looking to change your watch you really don't need to.
My 310 has the following options for display - 1) Power (this is your 1 sec power); 2) Power - %FTP; 3) Power - 30s Avg; 4) Power - 3s Avg; 5) Power - Avg; 6) Power - Kilojoules; 7) Power - Lap; 8) Power - Max; 9) Power Zone

I don't knwo what the options are on the 910/920/735 etc but that is a pretty wide range of options for the lowly 310.
So unless you absolutely must have 10s power you should be able to find what you are looking for in that lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had every iteration of the Fenix since the 2 and I love them dearly. My 5X is backordered and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. It does everything you are looking for, and it's classy looking. I don't find them to be heavy at all but by comparison to the 935 I guess it is. Only the face is metal, the body is composite with an internal metal cage to protect from being smashed.
The thing is packed with features and looks awesome on the course or in the board room.

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to wear a 920 day in and out even though it looks like a super sports gadget, but compared to other sports watches I previously had I just really loved it. There were only a few black tie events where I finally took it off, and obviously sometimes over night when it had to be charged.

I now own a Fenix 5X and it is fantastic. It does a lot more than the 920 and it looks super stylish. With the watch face I have chosen it kind of looks like a Breitling or similar aviation type watch.

I have my Garmin Connect account connected to Strava Premium and now when I run (and I never carry a phone while running) it shows me certain Strava segments live as I am running. It counts me down to the segment and shows me the best time. I then see the segment pace and the distance left to the end of the segment. But it does not show all Strava segments and I am not sure why.

I am 6'2" with huge hands and thus the 5X looks fine on my wrist, but I think the slightly smaller 5 is better for most. But if you want mapping you need the 5X.
Quote Reply