Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Warranty Issue Turnaround Time
Quote | Reply
All, I was just curious as to what my expectations should be for hearing back from a LBS and bike company regarding a warranty issue.

I have two fairly high-end bikes, one carbon road bike and an aluminum tri bike. Both are the same brand and bought from the same local dealer. Anyway, I started experiencing an issue about two months ago with the carbon road bike, and after multiple trips to the LBS, they determined it is more than likely an issue with the carbon frame. They sent it back to the manufacturer over 3 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything. There doesn't seem to be ay urgency on the issue, but there is for me. I have now been without my road bike for close to 6 weeks (including the time diagnosing at the LBS). I am starting to get a little impatient, and wanted to get other's advice on what my expectations should be. Don't you think I should have heard something back? When I call, they are nice, just responding "We are still waiting to hear back".

Any comments and/or feedback would be appreciated.

Regards!

Boilerboy
Quote Reply
Re: Warranty Issue Turnaround Time [BoilerBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
All, I was just curious as to what my expectations should be for hearing back from a LBS and bike company regarding a warranty issue.

I have two fairly high-end bikes, one carbon road bike and an aluminum tri bike. Both are the same brand and bought from the same local dealer. Anyway, I started experiencing an issue about two months ago with the carbon road bike, and after multiple trips to the LBS, they determined it is more than likely an issue with the carbon frame. They sent it back to the manufacturer over 3 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything. There doesn't seem to be ay urgency on the issue, but there is for me. I have now been without my road bike for close to 6 weeks (including the time diagnosing at the LBS). I am starting to get a little impatient, and wanted to get other's advice on what my expectations should be. Don't you think I should have heard something back? When I call, they are nice, just responding "We are still waiting to hear back".

Any comments and/or feedback would be appreciated.

You have been far too patient, in my opinion. If your LBS had a decent relationship with the manufacturer (and even if it didn't), the LBS should have had an answer and a plan within a week or less.
Quote Reply
Re: Warranty Issue Turnaround Time [intransition] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I'd call the LBS and require them to contact the MFG and get the status of your return. Nothing in the modern world should take that long to determine.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Warranty Issue Turnaround Time [BoilerBoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are far more patient than most. I would expect more from your lbs. For comparison sake, I had a warranty issue with my TitanFlex frame. I contacted Tom directly on a Sunday afternnon and he had a new frame shipped to me in less than a week.

I would call your lbs and tell them you want an answer in 1 week.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Warranty Issue Turnaround Time [DrD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn - six weeks?

I'm with everyone else in your thread - time to kill someone.
Quote Reply
Re: Warranty Issue Turnaround Time [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I was able to talk to the LBS today. Here is where we stand:

1. The owner of the LBS was out of town last week, so when I called the shop to get an update, I was told I would have to wait until he returned.

2. Since the company in question has a fairly decent reputation for customer service, I decided to call them directly to get an update.

3. When I did, i was not greeted by too friendly of a person, and they said they couldn't help me because i couldn't get them a serial number. I asked why they couldn't lookup the serial number via my registration (both bikes are registered), or via the dealer who sent the bike in. Again, I was felt to believe I was inconveniencing them. They finally found my record from the dealer, and indicated they would call back. I never heard from them.

4. Fast forward to today, and the update from the LBS. They indicated they had a message from the bike company indicating when I was called I was rude, so they were just going to deny the warranty claim. Whoa, I said...first off, the warranty is now a lifetime limited warranty. When I bought the to bikes in 2005, it was lifetime on steel and titanium, 10 years on carbon, and 5 years on aluminum. Second, I was not by any means rude at all...just told them I was frustrated to be without a bike for an extended period of time without any end in site.

5. I bought the bike in question 5 years and 1 month ago, so IF it were aluminum, I would be one month past my warranty. HOWEVER, this is the carbon road bike I am speaking about. Well, get this, they are saying it is aluminum (because they put the carbon tubes in aluminum lugs) and therefore beyond the warranty. However, I am somewhat of a pack rat, and pull out the guide with warranty info and bike info from 2005. It has bikes in four categories; steel, titanium, carbon, and aluminum. It clearly has mine in the carbon section.

I've been told by my LBS he is going to try to work with them to handle this. I can't believe how they are going about it, though. Again, this is a company with a great reputation with customer service. In fact, one of the owners called me directly when I was asking questions about certain models and LBS with my initial purchase. I guess I will give it till mid next week for a response, but looking for advice from the forum on how to handle it. I can't believe what they are trying to pull.

Sorry for the rant!

Regards!

Boilerboy
Quote Reply