Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Warm up race for 70.3 - didn't go well #anxiety
Quote | Reply
I did a OD at the weekend, which I like to do as a warmup race for a 70.3 in 3 weeks. I've been working hard on my run and was hoping to have a good race and run leg. Unfortunately a shark meant the swim was cancelled and this was a bit of a bummer as I should have been top 3/4 overall out the water. This was replaced with a short 600m run, then 40km ride around Rottnest island, all of it bar 2km is hills. Really tough. And it was hot (102F) with no shade. Luckily my sleeved trisuit was black along with my helmet, shoes and bike... Originally race plan was to swim hard, ride moderate, run hard with a bit of breathing space. Unfortunately now with the swim canned I had no gap starting on the bike, the front guys hammered it from the start sitting on around 25mph and I dutifully followed... well I kept up for 10km then dropped back slightly, but ended up riding hard trying to stay in touch. Got to T2 drenched in sweat and breathing like I'd just done a 400m sprint. Thankfully, transition was in a large sandpit so I got to pick up my bike and run 200m through baking hot sand which really helped my HR...so yeah got onto the run (more hills, more heat) and was feeling pretty spent. I was aiming for around 6.40min/miles pace, but ended up averaging 7.30min/miles. Pretty disappointing considering I'm hoping to run low 1.30s for the 70.3. Feeling a bit of anxiety about the race now, this was supposed to boost my confidence ha ha... I just don't know how much to read into the heat, the course and the fact that I went too hard on the bike. I would have thought I could have run better off the bike considering I've almost doubled my run volume from 25 to 45 miles Do I just write this race off? It's hard not to be bothered by how slow I ran.... The 70.3 will be on a flat course and temps will be cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Warm up race for 70.3 - didn't go well #anxiety [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would view it as a piece of the pie. If all your other training indicates this was an outlier, then treat it as such. If not, then perhaps this race, was more indicative of your fitness than your goal time(s).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd not worry about it. If you're training has been good/consistent you should be fine.
Busso is nowhere near the course that Rottnest is as far as hills and hopefully it won't be as hot. I'd worry more about the flies there, they don't taste very good..ask me how I know.

You also won't be less fit bc you raced at Rottnest

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be happy with your time if I were you, it was bloody hot Saturday. Rotto isnt exactly flat either. I'm doing busso too, I slept in Saturday but went for a ride on the freeway and completely cooked myself by 60kms in. Rotto would have been a nightmare. Busso could be hot too, but atleast its flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mate, call it a bad day at the office. It's only as big of an issue as you make it out to be.

Have a night on the piss and a couple easy days and remember that you've got 3 weeks to sharpen up.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Warm up race for 70.3 - didn't go well #anxiety [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers for the reassurance guys. Logic and rationale tell me the heat, hills and hard ride meant it was always going to be a slower run, but you get that little voice in your head telling you you should have run faster... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't worry about it, it was a tough race. The later start didn't help as we were running in the midday sun. Busso will feel easy in comparison :)
Quote Reply
Re: Warm up race for 70.3 - didn't go well #anxiety [olistenning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
olistenning wrote:
Wouldn't worry about it, it was a tough race. The later start didn't help as we were running in the midday sun. Busso will feel easy in comparison :)

cool thanks and well done on the win :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I just don't know how much to read into the heat, the course and the fact that I went too hard on the bike.

I think you just answered you're own question - a hot, challenging course where you had a huge exertion on the bike could naturally lead to an underwhelming run. For me, I struggle running in heat and experience has shown that I can pick up the pace considerably in cooler temps. So I wouldn't stress too much about this - there's nothing you mentioned that would lead me to believe you can't still nail the 1/2.
Quote Reply
Re: Warm up race for 70.3 - didn't go well #anxiety [aclawed strandi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aclawed strandi wrote:
zedzded wrote:
I just don't know how much to read into the heat, the course and the fact that I went too hard on the bike.

I think you just answered you're own question - a hot, challenging course where you had a huge exertion on the bike could naturally lead to an underwhelming run. For me, I struggle running in heat and experience has shown that I can pick up the pace considerably in cooler temps. So I wouldn't stress too much about this - there's nothing you mentioned that would lead me to believe you can't still nail the 1/2.

Thanks, ta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did the other racers do?
It's not about your time, it's about your time compared to the rest of the field. Your run might be really good for the circumstances.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, write it off and move forward,

I read an article earlier this year about common characteristics of top tier pro runners. One of the things the article talked about was their ability to shake off a bad race/bad training day and continue to be focused on the positive, knowing that they are (were) better than that bad race/bad workout.

Stay the course and trust your training and your preparations.

Good luck w/ your 70.3!

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply