Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue...
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I've got my heart set on the Canyon Speedmax SLX 9.0. It seems everyone raves about the bike and I can see why. It's a LOT of bike for your money.

https://www.canyon.com/...x-cf-slx-9-0-sl.html

Anyway, I decided to get a bike fit done as didn't want to spend all that money on a bike that doesn't feel good, especially on longer distance rides and races such as an Ironman. Here's the PDF file with all the measurements from the fitting:

https://www.dropbox.com/...ri%20Bike-1.pdf?dl=0

And some pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbnor67zw7jnqth/IMG_1368.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/...z7/IMG_1369.JPG?dl=0

With an ideal arm pad stack (from BB) of 707mm and a reach of 454mm, it seems the Canyon is about 30mm shorter in stack unfortunately. Here are the full measurements of the Canyon Speedmax (in L):

https://www.dropbox.com/...7%2043%20AM.png?dl=0

1) Is this too way out of what you'd consider an acceptable range? In other words, by buying this Canyon, would I make every ride a painful and regrettable experience!?

2) The guy who did the fitting (super nice chap) recommend I go for the Parlee TTiR Disc (http://parleecycles.com/ttir-disc/) as there are about a billion different ways to configure that bike and as such, match my fitting right down to the perfect mm.

I'm in a bit of a pickle as I like the Parlee but prefer the look of the Canyon and feel you're getting a lot more bike for your money (the wheelset is incredible for one).

Would love to hear your thoughts on what I should do...

Cheers,

Ben
Last edited by: frenchben: Sep 19, 17 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [frenchben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a pic of your bike fit in that configuration? 707 seems like a huge amount of stack.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Yep, I do actually!

Here are some snaps:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbnor67zw7jnqth/IMG_1368.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh2ormiczq05cz7/IMG_1369.JPG?dl=0

Cheers,

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [frenchben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't look super aggresive but it's not an overly upright position either. Position critique aside, looks like your saddle height is 84 so you must be pretty tall. Most likely you would need to be on a size XL but since Canyon doesn't make anything larger than L you're out of luck I guess.

For comparison, I'm 6ft and ride a Trek Speed Concept size L with Pad Stack 620 and Pad Reach (mid pad) of about 515 and my seat height is about 75cm. I would fit just fine on a Canyon M or L.
Here's what I look like:

Last edited by: sp1ke: Sep 19, 17 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey mate,

Thanks for your help and for the pic. Looks like you've got a good set-up there!

Yep, I'm pretty tall I guess. 1m 88cm (6"2) with an inseam of 92cm (36in). As you say, if Canyon made an XL version of the Speedmax, I could be a good fit for me.

Cheers,

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a chance for the Canyon - max pad y of 681 and pad width of 228 (with team switch plate in for extra width and stack).

Do you have the body angle measurements from your fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
frenchben wrote:
Hey mate,

Thanks for your help and for the pic. Looks like you've got a good set-up there!

Yep, I'm pretty tall I guess. 1m 88cm (6"2) with an inseam of 92cm (36in). As you say, if Canyon made an XL version of the Speedmax, I could be a good fit for me.

Cheers,

Ben

As a friend of mine said today, the bike mfg's make bikes for folks that are like 5'4 to 6'1. Above or below this, we are on our own. And if I were in their shoes, I would do the same. Just not enough tall or short folks to justify the setups.
I guess this is where the custom builders get the business to do the fit correctly, not just use stems, etc. to make it looks like the bike fits.

And for me, it is not what you call the frame, it is the frame specs. If they continue to have short reaches, they are still made ideally for short people. My Yaqui might look old, but it sure was made to fit tall folks.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

Unfortunately no angles were taken but I do have my measurements (e.g. inseam, torso, etc) if that’s what you mean?

Thanks for your opinion on the Canyon by the way!

Cheers,

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Thanks for your post. Yep, seems that way judging by other bike’s I’ve viewed online! I think that, in part, my flexibility is a big issue here unfortunately. I imagine I can improve things somewhat by doing yoga but whether or not I can compensate for the 30mm stack difference is another matter!

At the end of a day, I’m just looking to get a bike that is fast, yes, but also enables me to ride 70.3 and Ironman events without too much pain/discomfort. Unfortunately, with my current set-up (Felt DA2), I’m actually looking forward to getting off the bike and running a 1/2 or full marathon!

Cheers,

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not try a Scott Plasma Premium? Superbike with all the storage/hydration the Canyon has, super stiff and fast, and it comes in an XL. I have the Scott Plasma Team Issue and I absolutely love it. And I'm 6' on the dot and ride a medium.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate. TBH, I hadn't considered the Scott but it does look like a great bike. Still, the sizing (pad stack especially) might still be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your proportions don't matter so much, was more looking for knee and angle motion. Your pic doesn't make it possible to assess saddle height which is why I was asking.
The plasma fits easily

Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Sep 20, 17 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Thanks so much for your response and great to know the Scott would fit my geometry. I’m a bit confused though... When I went on their website to check the geometry of the bike, I found that the max stack height was 600mm. Are you saying that can increase?

On another note, what program do you use to compare bikes according to a rider’s geometry? It looks like brilliant.

Cheers,

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "stack" is the distance from the center of the BB to the top of the top tube. This measurement doesn't include the stem height or the spacer height to the pads. The stack cannot change but the height of the pads can be much higher than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isnt Canyon releasing XL size in US? It's listed on their US website
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only the Speedmax CF has XS to XL, the Speedmax CF SLX is only available on S,M and L. AFAIK, according to Canyon it's because you can change the stem size (and maybe other bits) on the SLX on the order process, but not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Conky mentioned - the stack listed on the Scott site is the Frame Y, what you need is Pad Y
The tool I'm using is the velogicfit Advanced bike finder which is brilliant*

There is a pdf for the Plasma 5, as described here http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Prescriber_6269.html

*note that I am the founder of velogicfit...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frodeno at 6'4", Im guessing is flirting with the extremes of pad y on that size L. Definitely not impossible but I bet hes close.
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the same height as Frodo, though currently quite a bit more substantial than he is.
I'm not even close to the Pad Y limit, don't even need to use the rise basebar
Frodo has more stack than I do so won't have as much upwards room, I'm just illustrating that you can't draw too many conclusions from someones height

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol. Awesome. 609mm. Damn thats low for 6'4".
What's your seat height? I can't tell from the spec sheet...what's seat tube CT?

I'm 6'5" @about 700mm on my trek but thinking about taking it down 10mm.

What's your guess frodo pad y and seat height?
Last edited by: Johnnyfever: Sep 21, 17 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seat tube Ct is centre to top measurement of the frame
My saddle height 822mm, I have a low ankle angle while pedalling (trained to be that way) which drops quite a bit of height.

From some digital measurements of images I'd put Frodo at
SH: 830
PX: 485
PY: 655

+- quite a bit given the nature of the measurements, though they make sense given his height and how the bike appears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am reading this wrong, but that sounds short and tall to me? PX is to center pads, not back of pads, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Want to buy a Canyon Speedmax CF SLX but arm pad stack and reach could be an issue... [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always back of the pads in my methodology. Much easier to judge than centre.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it - makes sense now. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate. This is really helpful!
Quote Reply

Prev Next