Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Walking the Sand Bars
Quote | Reply
When you get to a shallow areas in the middle of an open water swim is it better to continue swimming, wade/jog, or dolphin? Assume the water is about waist high and that all three are viable options.
Quote Reply
Re: Walking the Sand Bars [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naples right? I was able to swim most of the way in the Olympic on Sunday, but I'm only 5' 8". When the water gets about 4" over my knees, then I find it easier to swim then to push through. At waist high there is no question I would be swimming. I really think the answer depends on each person's height and the energy expenditure of moving forward. Go with whichever has a lower energy cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Walking the Sand Bars [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim until your fingers touch the bottom, then stand up and high knee / feet splayed out run.

If you are really good at dolphin diving, and really sure you can do it safely, that might be a viable option for water at the thigh to belly button level level. It is also a high exertion activity, so you're almost always better swimming while you can and walking or high knee running after your fingers touch.

This advice stems more from years as an ocean lifeguard in sandbar infested waters, than it does from triathlon experience. When someone's life depends on you getting to them, you figure out the fastest ways.
Quote Reply
Re: Walking the Sand Bars [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Naples. At one point, I was walking among a group of swimmers. We were all moving at about the same speed. It takes a lot out of the legs....
Quote Reply