Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo
Quote | Reply
So my trusty CycleOps Mag trainer finally bit the dust..... 5 years of 160+ hours/year later..... Its a sad day for sure. However... its new toy time!!!

I live in an older flat in London and do 100% of my training indoors. I generally ride early mornings before the shop keeper below opens up so not an issue now but if I move to a flat with a family below I dont want to keep people up. I'm strongly considering the Taxc Neo based off of the sound (or lack of). It looks like I could have one for £964 (plus cassette) off amazon. However, I could easily pull the trigger on a Wahoo Kickr for nearly the same cost. I value quality very high and as I do 100% of my training indoors (and a fair amount of it) need this thing to last a long time. Would a Kickr and some good rubber mats do the trick to keep the noise and vibration to the same level as the Neo? The price of the Neo (finding similar price on a few sites) seems much lower than the price offered in the states so too good to be true?

Any strong reasons to pull one way or another? They both seem to get high reviews and people like both...... anyone had both/or access to both and really prefer one over another?

Thanks!!!!!

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden both a fair amount in the past couple weeks.

The neo is smoother and offers a more road like ride. It is quieter. It works without being plugged in.

The major negative is my TT bike will not fit on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I should add that my Tri bike will not work on either so I use an old roadie....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't your tri bike work on the kickr? I remember early reports of bikes with narrow chain stays or chain stay mounted brakes not fitting the Neo, but I thought they addressed that with a cover update pretty quickly.

In general read the reviews on dcrainmaker.com the overall perception is the neo is a nicer unit (more accurate, quieter) but a pain to move and more expensive (in the states). Both are super nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, been pouring over the DC (and other) reviews. All seem to point to 'they're both great' with a slight edge in noise to Neo and portability to Kickr... I think I've talked myself into the Neo given not wanting to keep my neighbours up (or think the washing machine has gone haywire) and the fact I never move this around. I'm also in the UK so the prices are pretty much equal.

As for why I cant mount my race bike to the trainer I ride a Dimond. I think there are a couple roller systems I could consider there but right now in the smart trainer market.....

Last edited by: xcrogers: Aug 9, 17 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh...10-4 on a diamond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live/work in London in a flat and got the Neo. I don't think there would be an issue with the Kikr in my flat, but I wanted a quiet trainer so I wouldn't wake up the kids. I used to have the Computrainer and it was pretty loud, lucky my kids didn't really wake up. The Neo is much better and it's soooo much easier when using programs like TrainerRoad. Really changed my training, keeps the bike clean, safer, and I've gotten stronger/faster. I actually replace a lot of my "long" weekend rides with more efficient indoor sessions (eg: 2.5 hours with intervals instead of a 4 hour outdoor).

Which bike do you have? I had that question about the Neo as well, but checked and there is a newer model which might have more space. I have this "2017" version and my Trek Speed Concept barely fits. I take off the speedfin for a little more clearance. I also have the Tacx Trainer Mat on top of a old yoga mat which seems to help with the sound. I can't imagine the shopkeeper would hear you if you had the Neo or you must have very thin walls!

Here is a good post on the subject: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...d%20concept#p6151298
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I ride a 3ish year old non descript CX bike (no disc brakes) so I'd imagine no clearance issues.....

The issue with the shop keeper only came about once and likely as the old (now dead... literally broke the welds) was a Cycleops mag trainer..... it was loud. I generally rode before he opened up but I'd imagine the vibrations were just getting transferred right through my thinner matt into the floor/his ceiling. We are looking to buy a place and on the off chance we end up above a family I'd like to be a good neighbour and not wake up babies/parents/dogs.... whatever....

I'm hoping a new trainer (Neo?) with a similar setup you mention will pretty much make something like this a non-issue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had kickr and had to return it. There was a high pitched whizzz (like DRRAINMAKER says) that work my kids up in the next room

The neo is almost completely silent - except for chain noise

I'm not sure the better feel (which is there) would justify the cost. But the reduction in noise which allows me to ride and not wake the kids - definitely is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both, agree with others that the Neo is more quiet. I don't agree that it has better "road feel" though, at least not for ERG mode. After the last firmware update there's almost no inertia at all in ERG mode, which can make above-threshold intervals really difficult (they can be difficult on all ERG trainers, but the Neo seems worse now that they've made the resistance adjustment more aggressive).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for Neo, for noise alone. Very quiet and essential for living in an apartment.

Does anyone know if there's a newer version being released this fall? I've recommended the Neo to a few friends, but curious if I should tell folks to hold off for a few months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neo also simulates road surface (cobbles, wood planks, etc) in Zwift for a more immersive experience - KICKR cannot do this.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used either but I'm seriously considering buying one so I've done a bit a research on both.

The Neo seems to be the better choice. No noise other than the drive train and it has some flex which I really like since I can't stand the rigidness of trainers. It also uses electromagnets so it should last a long time since there are practically no moving parts.

However it doesn't look like the Neo would fit my frame. They have a template you can print and cut out to give you an idea of how much clearance you'll have and with my 2011 Scott Plasma it isn't even close.

So I'll probably be getting a Kickr here in a few months since that one will fit my frame.

If you're thinking about the Neo I would definitely make sure it will fit your frame.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would seriously consider the e-motion rollers from inside ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [donquix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Neo
Had both the Kickr (gen 1) and the Neo
Neo is much quieter. In erg mode, with small chainring/large cog combo, I can put out 300+ watts at 100rpm and only hear a slight chain noise.

I also like the fact that there is no calibration needed for the Neo (I understand that it's not necessary to calibrate often the Kickr if you don't move it around, but I did notice a "heat drift" discrepancy between my Kickr and my crank powermeter when the trainer was warmed up... no strap that warms up with the Neo)

Only negative is higher price in Canada, and maybe less reliable / more hardware or software issues (it's still a Tacx unit, after all...).
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've owned the neo for nearly a year now. Tried both the kickr and the neo in the shop. Both were excellent but the neo was noticeably quieter and felt better. I also quite like the ability to simulate different road surfaces.

I think you'd be happy with either but I do think the neo is worth the extra £1-200 bucks / pounds. Might find a second hand one on eBay now? Make sure it's the updated second edition one though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both and would base my decision on the following:

- Do you have a power meter? KICKR accuracy is spotty where the NEO is always in line with my PM. Plus, no calibration is needed with the NEO. If you have a power meter then it might not matter.

- Noise: The KICKR 2 is much quieter than 1 but still make considerable noise. If you live in a small apartment and workout in some odd hours, that might turn into an issue. The NEO doesn't make noise at all.

- Do you use Zwift? If so, I would consider the NEO. It's more fun with the NEO. The road feel simulation and descents are nice little addition.

- The NEO responds to changes much faster. Not that big of an issue and you might not even notice it but I did cover that in the KICKR vs NEO ERG Mode showdown article.

- The KICKR is much smaller than NEO, but the NEO can fold up nicely if space is an issue.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 year CompuTrainer guy....bought the NEO. Love everything about it. Quiet, great feel, all the bells and whistles; highly recommend

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lar Dog wrote:
10 year CompuTrainer guy....bought the NEO. Love everything about it. Quiet, great feel, all the bells and whistles; highly recommend

Me too. 10 years on a CT and now on a NEO (using it on Zwift mostly) and absolutely love it. The road like feel of the cobbles on the UCI Richmond loop was incredible! It's quiet, smooth, and super easy to mount my Cervelo R3 on it. I have not tried to set up my P3 yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [tridoc3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridoc3 wrote:
Lar Dog wrote:

Me too. 10 years on a CT and now on a NEO (using it on Zwift mostly) and absolutely love it. The road like feel of the cobbles on the UCI Richmond loop was incredible! It's quiet, smooth, and super easy to mount my Cervelo R3 on it. I have not tried to set up my P3 yet.

Me three. 20+ years on a CT that started as a Nintendo unit and was upgraded over time. The inertia of the Neo in slope mode is so much more realistic than the CT or Kickr that it makes it way easier to ride aero and transition right to outdoors. Not so much in Erg mode however at least with the current firmware.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe a dumb question...but do both the Kickr and Neo change resistance automatically when sync'd up to Zwift or Trainer Road and going up a climb?
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes... they do
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to figure out the same question currently. I'm leaning toward the Kickr because I'm in the USA. If I were in Europe, I'd probably get the Neo.

This is the first I've heard of frame compatibility issues. I haven't investigated, but I'm guessing my Andean won't fit the Neo, just because, why would it?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr vs Taxc Neo [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
I'm trying to figure out the same question currently. I'm leaning toward the Kickr because I'm in the USA. If I were in Europe, I'd probably get the Neo.

This is the first I've heard of frame compatibility issues. I haven't investigated, but I'm guessing my Andean won't fit the Neo, just because, why would it?

with those super wide chainstays....it could be an issue, but not 100% sure. They changed the angle of the casing on the Neo late in 2016. My 2015 BMC TM01 has no issue. My wifes 2014 Madone6 actually has less room because it's small (47cm) and they NDS sensor needs to be removed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next