Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo Kickr, Quarq, and Kickr Desk Issue Resolved!
Quote | Reply
The past 2 weeks, I have failed to complete an FTP test at least 4 times. My Kickr would not lock onto the warmup slope of the Trainer Road 20 minute FTP test. The Quarq Elsa controls the Kickr. I recently bought the Wahoo Kickr desk and love it. The Kickr would make the power spike really high. A 130Wish warmup would become 280W. I made it to the 5 minute all out part and the Quarq would drop signal repeatedly. Sometimes it would be dropped for 20 seconds or more.

I spoke to James Haycraft who said he had similar issues once. The problem was the Quarq and Kickr were too far away from the ANT+ stick and signal drops were basically confusing the Kickr. He mentioned getting a USB extension cable. I went to Best Buy and got this one http://www.bestbuy.com/...62&skuId=5887016

Today's FTP test went perfectly. The Kickr was responding to the slope changes of the workout. There were zero dropouts. I laid the USB Ant+ stick right underneath the bike by the Kickr and had zero issues.

If you have having issues like this, please check the signal strength in the Trainer Road devices tab. If it says poor, you are too far away.

I checked the firmware on the Quarq and the Kickr, calibrated both, changed the battery in the Quarq, and the entire time my laptop was too far away.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Feb 11, 16 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr, Quarq, and Kickr Desk Issue Resolved! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did think also and cleared up some very minor issues I was having with my PM control of the kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr, Quarq, and Kickr Desk Issue Resolved! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Confused why you needed both the desk and the cable? Having your receiver too far from your trainer/PM can be an issue so that's a given, but presumably the problem should have been solved by either getting the desk and moving your laptop closer to your trainer OR leaving it where it was and just getting a USB extension cable to move your receiver closer to your trainer. Would be highly surprising if you needed both.

On the topic of the desk, had no idea that existed. Fine if you happen to also need/want a standing desk, but if you just want something to put your laptop/phone/tablet on while you're on the trainer then you can just get a music stand for a fraction of the cost. I've been using one like this for years.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr, Quarq, and Kickr Desk Issue Resolved! [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't want to move the desk closer. The cable allowed me to keep it where it was. The Kickr desk is tall enough to sit over the aerobars and bring it close enough to pick up a better signal. However, I didn't want my laptop that close to me

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply