Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTS Stockholm (spoiler)
Quote | Reply
When a picture says 1000 words (or more)

Quote Reply
Re: WTS Stockholm (spoiler) [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The women's race went very well for the U.S. considering the absence of Gwen. Groff stepped up big time and Jerdonek + Hursey also did very well.

As for the men there's not much left to be said about the Brownlees but what a great race by Jonny to win and with a relatively largish margin (for an ITU sprint race). Bucholz stepped up and Pereira continues to be consistent. Shame Javier had a stomach issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also forgot to add great race by Kanute. If he can stay at this level then it's very encouraging for the olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved that. They were just chilling sitting down.

As for the women, Groff didn't "step up" to fill Gwen's absence or anything like that; she's been among the top few for quite some time now, and the technical bike course and tough conditions certainly suited her

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Stockholm (spoiler) [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:

As for the women, Groff didn't "step up" to fill Gwen's absence or anything like that; she's been among the top few for quite some time now, and the technical bike course and tough conditions certainly suited her

Groff is now ranked 2nd in the rankings, so yes she has been very successful this year. So now the top 2 ranked women are from the US.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Stockholm (spoiler) [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Also forgot to add great race by Kanute. If he can stay at this level then it's very encouraging for the olympics.

Very solid. Would like to see that type of race in the full Oly distance but not sure the run is quite there yet.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Stockholm (spoiler) [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:

Groff has been racing great all season & is one of the top women on the circuit without a doubt but I would certainly classify this race as stepping up. She brought her "A" game to all 3 disciplines, including the final surge to leave no doubt about her victory. She dominated the race getting to the top of the podium for the first time in a WTS race. That is stepping up big time. Huge props to Groff for a great race today.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Stockholm (spoiler) [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US has an embarrassment of riches on the women's side. On that subject, is Sarah Haskins officially done with ITU?

Great to see Groff get a win. I think it is only a matter of time before the back half of her 10k catches up.

Strong day from Kanute as well as Jefferson. I haven't heard his name much, but it seems like he can run.

I landed 3 of the 6 for Trifecta. Would have swept the mens if Pereira could have pulled out 3rd. Don't pick the big guy for an uphill sprint finish! Bucholz looked really strong - puts a little context on Webb's performance at the relay.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Stockholm (spoiler) [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not yet, Sarah Haskins is racing next weekend. Which for her to likely make the team I'm going to wager will be in the *domestique* role. I don't think she's strong enough in the run anymore, but I also know that there is definitely a class ranking difference from GJ and Groff to our 3rd American. So would Haskins be a good person to shadow for GJ? Yes please, especially if the women start to grow a pair and with some brains and really hammer the bike.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Stockholm (spoiler) [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's doing Edmonton? Did she do some WCs or CCs to get points? I was thinking that 3rd spot as well, although there seems to be talent in the pipeline.

ETA: or I could just look it up. 1st at Clermont and Sarasota, 148 on points list.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Last edited by: MI_Mumps: Aug 24, 14 3:16
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Stockholm (spoiler) [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure it is accurate to say that Sarah Groff "stepped up." She did what she always does: swam well, biked sensibly and ran courageously. She is not the fastest runner (but no slowcoach!) and always vulnerable to a Gwen Jorgensen or Non Stanford coming from behind. But for Sarah, everything in this race fell into place: Jamie Turner's squad skipped it almost en bloc, other fast runners (Standford, Jenkins, even the rejuvenated VIcky Holland) are injured, the conditions were cold, wet and horrible and Jodie Stimpson put herself out of contention with a dreadful swim. It was a perfect set of circumstances and Sarah delivered, finally (and deservedly) winning an ITU event for the first time. A triumph of Sarah but not a "stepping up": more confirmation of what a tough and redoubtable competitor she is.

The men's race was fun if you are Brownlee brother fan. Yet again they exited 4th and 6th on the swim (I think the worst placing either of them have had in the swim since 2009 (or 2010 in Jonny's case) is 12th and that was JB in the recent Hamburg sprint) and a courageous plunge down the cobbles with Richard Varga gave them a lead that they only built on. The French athletes and Mola (who are good cyclists) were once again very passive and it served them right that they lost nearly a minute over 20K. Although they pretended they were competing, I have a feeling that Alistair gave Jonny the victory - or at least did not contest the finish (did you notice Jonny picked up a flag when Alistair was still only a second or so behind which he would never have done unless he knew for a fact AB would not be chasing him. And the moment JB crossed the line, AB punched the air in triumph)

The Stockholm course is superb (on a par with Hamburg and Auckland) and encourages exciting biking. And good to see some new names in the top 10. In a previous thread, I tipped Pujades but also stated that he can't run - clearly he can and he is a dark horse tip for Rio. Will be interesting to see how he develops next year.

Hopefully Gomez will be fit for Edmonton and is clearly the very strong favourite to take the title this year.
Quote Reply