Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTC to be true wtc idea
Quote | Reply
I know they want money, so on my run today I thought, why not add another source of revenue, decrease the hate on them, and be the true world triathlon champs (long distance)?

With superfrog they showed that they can support grassroots races. Why not start up a certification program: challenge, hits, vineman, etc etc pay WTC to have their course certified (distance on each segment, even they themselves dont certify length) and a head ref to be there at the race... I think $3000 would be reasonable. In turn, the top 3 finishers in a field of at least 100 get KQ or 70.3 WC Qualify. These numbers are arbitrary of course.

What would be the benefit for the grass roots race? This opens a new marketing stunt to have them attract more people to their race. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: WTC to be true wtc idea [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would WTC do this? Where are the extra slots coming from? When has WTC ever helped a competitor?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just be happy that they arent charging spectators(yet) to watch their races. unlike the spartan race you need to pay 25$ to watch someone do an obstacle course....
Quote Reply
Re: WTC to be true wtc idea [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just be happy that they arent charging spectators(yet) to watch their races. unlike the spartan race you need to pay 25$ to watch someone do an obstacle course....

At the Running USA Conference a year and a half ago I sat at a round-table discussion where some of the big marathon and running road race directors were there, as well as one of the leading Execs from one of the big very popular obstacle races. You should have seen the jaws drop, and the looks on all the faces of the traditional running folks, when they were told all the extra charges that the obstacle races all lay on!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:

Really? Is that really true?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I know they want money, so on my run today I thought, why not add another source of revenue, decrease the hate on them, and be the true world triathlon champs (long distance)?

With superfrog they showed that they can support grassroots races. Why not start up a certification program: challenge, hits, vineman, etc etc pay WTC to have their course certified (distance on each segment, even they themselves dont certify length) and a head ref to be there at the race... I think $3000 would be reasonable. In turn, the top 3 finishers in a field of at least 100 get KQ or 70.3 WC Qualify. These numbers are arbitrary of course.

What would be the benefit for the grass roots race? This opens a new marketing stunt to have them attract more people to their race. Thoughts?

So only certified races get quotas? E.g, a certified HITS course gets Kona slots but an IM that fails certification (and there would be a number of them) does not? How is that in their interest? And how do you handle the different transition distances such as the long run from swim exit to T1 at San Juan or compare swim exit to T1 between IMCDA and Wisconsin? What's the point of certification given that exact bike distances may be driven by geographic constraints?
Quote Reply
Re: WTC to be true wtc idea [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i lied its 15$ one of my clients went to the one in killington and said it was 25$ to watch. maybe each event varies...10$ prior to the event 15$ on site

http://spartanrace.com.au/spectator-tickets
Quote Reply
Re: WTC to be true wtc idea [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah that has to be the most bullshit ive ever seen, WTC has its own problems but that is just mind boggling.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:

It's kinda funny how we will rant about the professional triathletes not making a lot of money, especially as compared to other professional sports. Yet, other professional sports charge admittance and the owners are able pass that on to their players. Not in endurance sports, though. Can't charge to watch or else the masses go ballistic.

(The above may have been in pink or may not, depending on your own personal interpretation of the issue.)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: WTC to be true wtc idea [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
espejo09 wrote:

It's kinda funny how we will rant about the professional triathletes not making a lot of money, especially as compared to other professional sports. Yet, other professional sports charge admittance and the owners are able pass that on to their players. Not in endurance sports, though. Can't charge to watch or else the masses go ballistic.

(The above may have been in pink or may not, depending on your own personal interpretation of the issue.)

Especially when the event isn't shown live :).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah that has to be the most bullshit ive ever seen, WTC has its own problems but that is just mind boggling.....

Why?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: WTC to be true wtc idea [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
Why would WTC do this? Where are the extra slots coming from? When has WTC ever helped a competitor?

they did at superfrog that is why. more money for them, and a way to advertise through grass roots races.

HuffNPuff wrote:
So only certified races get quotas? E.g, a certified HITS course gets Kona slots but an IM that fails certification (and there would be a number of them) does not? How is that in their interest? And how do you handle the different transition distances such as the long run from swim exit to T1 at San Juan or compare swim exit to T1 between IMCDA and Wisconsin? What's the point of certification given that exact bike distances may be driven by geographic constraints?

Their IM races continue to operate as is. But it wouldnt hurt for them to put more effort into keeping distances standard, and not have ridiculous swims like IM CHOO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I wanted to watch people participate in an obstacle course I'll hang out by the jungle gym.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there are about 100 long distance races world wide that is 300,000$ actual cash for wtc, 300 KQ slots to give out. The lottery spots can be eliminated as those 300 people will pay anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:
i lied its 15$ one of my clients went to the one in killington and said it was 25$ to watch. maybe each event varies...10$ prior to the event 15$ on site

http://spartanrace.com.au/spectator-tickets

Tough Mudder, 50% discount or full $40 day of the event for Spectator

http://support.toughmudder.com/...ster-as-a-spectator-

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep!

When I did the Temecula Spartan, it was $10 (cash only) to park in an enormous grassy field. Then it was $15 (cash only) for bag check. On top of the $115 or so race entry fee. It's a fun race, but we marveled at the nickel-and-diming.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gets it on TV frequently though... NBCSN advertises/broadcasts that crap frequently.

Quote | Reply
I think a better revenue idea would be a coffee table book of all the bikes they photograph at bike check in. I'd buy it. You ever see those bikes will all that stuff on there?

"What do you mean your running shoes don't match your bike?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:

You mean the $250 Ironman VIP Experience - http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz3EwxeL3aZ

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC is offering slots to military at Superfrog. That's great PR for them. Why do they need to market at the grass roots level? Their races almost always sellout. If anything your proposal would have some WTC customers forego some WTC races and try to qualify at local races with weaker fields.

And again, where are these extra slots going to come from? And WTC already has a true WC. Anyone is free to qualify at their races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The founder of ironman John Collins did not himself make any money off this enterprise, but one of the few conditions of the handover was that there would always be spots for the "everyday athletes" - This is the reason for the lottery spots, and out of respect for this we shouldn't call for cancelling them. Unless, that is, you can find another proposal for satisfying the "everyday athletes" condition, which itself is conceptually founded in growth of the sport.
Last edited by: HH: Oct 2, 14 3:58
Quote Reply
Re: WTC to be true wtc idea [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that's optional...
Quote Reply
Re: WTC to be true wtc idea [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
WTC is offering slots to military at Superfrog. That's great PR for them. Why do they need to market at the grass roots level? Their races almost always sellout. If anything your proposal would have some WTC customers forego some WTC races and try to qualify at local races with weaker fields.

And again, where are these extra slots going to come from? And WTC already has a true WC. Anyone is free to qualify at their races.

another thing they can do is bundle packages for the RD of grass roots races - up selling. Providing IM finisher medals, timing, live video stream feed, shirts, etc.

HH wrote:
The founder of ironman John Collins did not himself make any money off this enterprise, but one of the few conditions of the handover was that there would always be spots for the "everyday athletes" - This is the reason for the lottery spots, and out of respect for this we shouldn't call for cancelling them. Unless, that is, you can find another proposal for satisfying the "everyday athletes" condition, which itself is conceptually founded in growth of the sport.

then split kona into 2 days... day 1 of lottery people, day 2 KQ people and pros. This will create a greater viewing audience as amatures will what pros, and vice versa.
Last edited by: synthetic: Oct 2, 14 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
tucktri wrote:

another thing they can do is bundle packages for the RD of grass roots races - up selling. Providing IM finisher medals, timing, live video stream feed, shirts, etc.

HH wrote:

then split kona into 2 days... day 1 of lottery people, day 2 KQ people and pros. This will create a greater viewing audience as amatures will what pros, and vice versa.

Just stop. This is a terrible idea.

So WTC is gonna provide live feeds? When they don't do it for world championships? And shirts and finishers medals when they run out at their own events?
And two days of Kona? The locals on this board have told us countless times that just isn't gonna happen. The appetite just isn't there. I'm sure WTC would love it though. But just not happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought WTC bought that grassroots race.
Quote Reply