Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WTC and World Domination
Quote | Reply
Just wondering how long it will take until WTC owns all triathlons. Am I crazy or are we headed for a one world triathlon market?
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [bobttcoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are crazy.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of great events out there. In many cases, the real gap has been created by expert WTC marketing. If any of these other races/series find some marketing traction, WTC won't be the only player.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... I think you are onto something here. They are trying to dominate the world by promoting triathlon addiction: A leading cause of divorce, neglected children, decreased productivity, lack of focus, physical injuries, heart problems, poverty, and shameless self-embarrassment.

What's your conspiracy theory?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Rev3 has really taken hold and offered a good competition to WTC. If HITS can can some momentum, the consumer will have 3 strong series to pick from.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [bricklayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bricklayer wrote:
I think Rev3 has really taken hold and offered a good competition to WTC. If HITS can can some momentum, the consumer will have 3 strong series to pick from.

Remembering the world extends beyond the US borders you have to remember Challenge which, while maybe struggling in North America, is pretty strong around the world.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will never get their hands on the Lake Tarramuggus Sprint Tri series in Marlborough CT. EVER!
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

Remembering the world extends beyond the US borders you have to remember Challenge which, while maybe struggling in North America, is pretty strong around the world.

Except in Spain.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Except in Spain.

Touche :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
bricklayer wrote:

HAHA yeah that's true. I guess my world's border ends where my wallet can afford take me to travel & race a triathlon. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's more to triathlon than 70.3s and IM.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [amaterasu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No weird theory or plot. It simply appears that the folks at WTC have managed to purchase their rivals' "A" list events while other larger companies (Rev 3, Challenge, Etc) can't garner the number of participants required to grow in the U.S. market. WTC does present very well run events. In part, I believe, because they have the deep pockets to do so. I wonder how long smaller triathlon promoters will want to / be able to afford stay in the game. We are very lucky in my home state to have a race management company that allows athletes the opportunity to race almost weekly through the season. It's my hope that the money required to compete in WTC events does not take too much out of the athletes' pockets so that might continue to afford to support the smaller races. Further, I would very much like to see the smaller race companies develop top tier events of their own. Is WTC a threat?
Last edited by: bobttcoach: Apr 16, 14 14:13
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
They will never get their hands on the Lake Tarramuggus Sprint Tri series in Marlborough CT. EVER!

If they ever show any interest in my races I'M SELLING.
/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having McDonalds is great. But the likes of Burger King and Carl's Junior keeps the big M honest...

#KISPERFORMANCE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:

Andrew Messick has said that there is no truth to the rumors that WTC has purchased land just outside Roth and is planning on building a short range missile station. Stay tuned.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do 10 events a year. Only 1 WTC. I highly doubt that the WTC is interested in sprints, olys, or some of the other courses I do. They just don't fit the business model.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will certainly own all the one's the the vast majority of triathletes will aspire to do.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Except in Spain.

Touche :)

Or Denmark or Australia or Taiwan.... but they're doing a bang-up job in Germany.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Apr 16, 14 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I do 10 events a year. Only 1 WTC. I highly doubt that the WTC is interested in sprints, olys, or some of the other courses I do. They just don't fit the business model.

WTC has an interest in anything that makes them money and builds the brand. They have already started buying up races and partnering with race organizers that have Olympic distance races. The 5150 series already has St Anthony's, Memphis in May, Hy-Vee, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

WTC has an interest in anything that makes them money and builds the brand. They have already started buying up races and partnering with race organizers that have Olympic distance races. The 5150 series already has St Anthony's, Memphis in May, Hy-Vee, etc.

Whereas I accept everything you said as true, the WTC isn't buying up the local series that has a race capacity of 200 people.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Whereas I accept everything you said as true, the WTC isn't buying up the local series that has a race capacity of 200 people.

Unless that capacity is based on resources and not a space/logistics issue. If I were in the market for races I would be happy to pickup a race organizer that had a dozen races with 2-300 people and turn that into 6-8 races with 500-1000 people. Combine resources with your other events, boost the marketing and ramp up the participants into fewer events. Sounds like a good way to turn a tidy profit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bobttcoach wrote:
Just wondering how long it will take until WTC owns all triathlons. Am I crazy or are we headed for a one world triathlon market?

You are crazy.

In Australia and NZ there about over 300 triathlons each summer.

WTC run 15 of them.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

From my perspective, the 5150 series has been an abject failure. The majority of the races they brought into the series died in the first year. Until they finally updated the website this year, the series hung around WTC's neck like a dead fish. For age groupers, the championship venue has as much destination vacation lure as your town dump. They probably need a 1000 registered to just break even. I do not see world domination at sprint and olympic distance as local RDs can run circles around WTC all day long for those formats.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC and World Domination [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swear when WTC buys the Quad Cities Triathlon, I'll be pissed.
Quote Reply