Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal
Quote | Reply
Interesting blog post about Triequal trying to book a room for a meet and greet.
http://www.somerandomthursday.com/...-the-debate-over-5q/

I guess nothing is more scary that a meet and greet.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the feeling that very few people/ organizations would be allowed to use the space during that time.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they wanted to reserve the space for their sole discretion, they would have booked the whole hotel. Having the hotel accept the reservation and then rescind is extremely poor form and frankly, quite petty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean Ironman won't let a group hold a meeting at the host hotel so they can sh!t all over Ironman. Shocking. Or maybe, just maybe, Ironman is using their sway with the hotel to keep all the meeting rooms open in case they want to use them for something.
Seriously, there are plenty of places to hold meetings around the venue. The Slowtwitch gathering found a spot.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triequal wants to play hardball on the cheap. They just got one high and tight back from WTC. Welcome to the big leagues. BTW, there's no crying in baseball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time to go to the next level, and show up naked in Messick's office. (i.e. the Yale Rowers who showed up naked in the Yale AD's office to protest lack of locker room for the women's crew team.)

Last edited by: trail: May 6, 15 15:52
Quote Reply
Re: WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
You mean Ironman won't let a group hold a meeting at the host hotel so they can sh!t all over Ironman. Shocking. Or maybe, just maybe, Ironman is using their sway with the hotel to keep all the meeting rooms open in case they want to use them for something.
Seriously, there are plenty of places to hold meetings around the venue. The Slowtwitch gathering found a spot.

That's kinda the line I was thinking. Ironman makes an agreement with the host hotel. The WTC gets control over the meeting rooms, etc. so that the WTC can pander to their sponsors or others that have a positive relationship. The hotel gets money and a crap-ton of people registering for week plus marketing incentives. So, unless you're on the WTC's list, there's a good chance you're not getting space until next week.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That may be, though it is curios why the space went from available to maybe available to not available for you, basically. But I guess the point here is this is just business...or baseball.

The purpose of the article, as I understood, was to push back on the "civility" discussions that have been popping up on ST lately on how TriEqual has gone about things. But again, this is just business, so civility mustn't apply.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal [legalgooner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take the "civility" argument to apply more to the notion that if you are more inclined to support the proportionality argument you are sexist or somehow ant-women.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's be somewhat realistic....TriEqual (despite their pleas of just looking for Marriott points) wanted to use that hotel because it was the host hotel and they could (in their view) cast an unwelcome light on WTC in front of sponsors.

They pushed, WTC pushed back....harder. C'est la vie.

I also fail to see how their refusal to let TriEqual use the host hotel equates to being "uncivil."

While I am generally supportive of the proportionality position, I still think WTC are wasting time / resources at this point over what is a fairly minor point. Make it equal slots (whatever the number is) and move on.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude. If WTC's ass was a TV, you wouldn't miss a show. Find something new to nit pick, you're getting too predictable.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty weak arguments in the blog post. WTC has every right to reserve space for anything or nothing. They are contributing 100's of room nights, not just a $1,000 party.

People shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a fair take. This whole hotel thing, however, is petty. WTC is being petty. I continue to support the beast and see no end in sight, but this is stupid.

My point is that we quickly dismiss WTC doing petty or stupid things, yet latch onto hyperbole and use that divide opinions. Why are we ok with using terms like "proportionality" and allowing WTC to frame the argument. Proportionality means money. Proportionality is nothing more than saying we make more money doing it this way. The numbers and AG slippery slope is all a facade. It is about money. It is shortsighted, but that is what private equity is all about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
legalgooner wrote:
Why are we ok with using terms like "proportionality" and allowing WTC to frame the argument. Proportionality means money. Proportionality is nothing more than saying we make more money doing it this way. The numbers and AG slippery slope is all a facade. It is about money. It is shortsighted, but that is what private equity is all about.

Why don't we use a term like "quota" to describe what Triequal wants. That is exactly what they are asking for, a quota without regard to merit or the proportion of participants.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. Equal quota ;)

I'd leave out the whole merit part though. Not sure why a male pro that races a bunch of IM events in a season to get KQP somehow merits a spot over a woman that did the same...
Last edited by: legalgooner: May 6, 15 20:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should've let them have their meeting, I don't see the point in trying to restrict what they're trying to do. If they're not trying to look bad it's kinda failing lmao
Last edited by: eggplantOG: May 6, 15 22:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a really nice Hyatt right across the street from the transition area. Much better location for an event. Of course, they wouldn't get the benefit of poking WTC in the eye.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
They should've let them have their meeting, I don't see the point in trying to restrict what they're trying to do. If they're not trying to look bad it's kinda failing lmao

Why should they 'let them' have their meeting? They could go anywhere else to hold a meeting. The only reason to have it at the host hotel is to shit on WTC. No company would stand for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So an employment litigator gets up in arms b/c they can't host a meeting under the same roof as the corporation they want to demonize. Wow who saw that coming?

That was pretty funny thanks for the link.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
legalgooner wrote:
Why are we ok with using terms like "proportionality" and allowing WTC to frame the argument. Proportionality means money. Proportionality is nothing more than saying we make more money doing it this way. The numbers and AG slippery slope is all a facade. It is about money. It is shortsighted, but that is what private equity is all about.

Why don't we use a term like "quota" to describe what Triequal wants. That is exactly what they are asking for, a quota without regard to merit or the proportion of participants.

x 2! Great comment and totally agree.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC/Ironman's civil tactics against Triequal [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:

Why should they 'let them' have their meeting? They could go anywhere else to hold a meeting. The only reason to have it at the host hotel is to shit on WTC. No company would stand for that.

QFT.

You tried to pull one over on WTC and they outmaneuvered you. Go find another venue.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Interesting blog post about Triequal trying to book a room for a meet and greet.

The first place that came to mind for the meet and greet was the Waterway Marriott Hotel — its centrally located, easy to find and, as a Marriott Gold Elite member, I generally like holding events (and accruing points) at Marriott properties. I put in an on-line event request and was called back by the Senior Catering Sales Executive. She let me know that she had space available and we decided to book the restaurant at the Waterway Marriott from 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. on Friday May 15th and to do a sweets table and iced drinks for approximately 50 guests. Total cost of the whole event would be $18 per person plus tax and gratuity. The booking was made under my name and “TriEqual.”

That whole part of her blog post was so incredibly disingenuous that it's laughable. I even had to quote it in pink font.

Kelly knows damn well the Marriott is the host hotel for IMTX... which she failed to mention in that part of her rant but "implied" it later on. One of her coaches lives in Houston and is racing the event, and has done so before. I know him, and I know he knows the Marriott is the host hotel.

There are several other hotels nearby, not to mention a bunch of restaurants. She chose the Marriott for the sole purpose of taking a swipe at WTC. Let's not pretend there was anything else on her agenda.

TriEqual is not doing itself a service by having her as one of the spokeswomen.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
legalgooner wrote:
That is a fair take. This whole hotel thing, however, is petty. WTC is being petty. I continue to support the beast and see no end in sight, but this is stupid.

My point is that we quickly dismiss WTC doing petty or stupid things, yet latch onto hyperbole and use that divide opinions. Why are we ok with using terms like "proportionality" and allowing WTC to frame the argument. Proportionality means money. Proportionality is nothing more than saying we make more money doing it this way. The numbers and AG slippery slope is all a facade. It is about money. It is shortsighted, but that is what private equity is all about.

Please point us tp the years prior to private equity owning WTC where the slots were equal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

Let me guess, this would never happen with XC skiing in Norway right? I'm sure you are somehow gonna lead in to that so sorry to beat you to it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next