Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE
Quote | Reply
One of the iconic races on the 70.3 Circuit for many reasons. Great course, near the birth-place of triathlon, all the media are there AND its beautiful in March. The first time for Lionel to ever race in Oceanside and next to the 70.3 World Champs in Mt Tremblant his most competitive field to race against. If you haven't seen the race or how it un-folded here is the 2 second version.

Potts, Frodeno and Fred B exited the water together and 20 sec back McMahon, Collington and a few other studs came out. 2min back were guys like Leon G and Jesse Thomas. Lionel even though he has worked hard on his swim and improved in the pool did not (as I had anticipated) see the swim time he had hoped for and was 4min back (on this time pulling a group of lessor swimmers behind him).

The leaders rocked the bike early together, but Lionel ate up the bike course much harder than he should have. He caught the leaders at mile 37 just before the big descent. He had made up 4 minutes on Potts, Frodeno, McMahon and others in 37 miles. He averaged 376 watts (for a 160 pound man) and destroyed the old course record by 5+ minutes on a nearly perfect day for riding fast. By the end of the 90km, Lionel was first into the T2 with 4-5 men within 20 seconds back (but roughly 4+ min slower bike splits). Jesse Thomas had the day's second fastest bike about 90 sec slower than Lionel.

Onto the run, I knew he had over-extended himself. He had dreamed of running with Jan Frodeno and ran for 5km with him stride for stride, but both he and I knew it was not for long. He ran the next 14km in 2nd place with the tough as nails Andy Potts in 3rd, but never going away. Lionel had his first BLOW UP on a run and Potts past him for 2nd and Lionel finished 3rd. Only he considers a 1:13 run split for 21km as a MEGA BLOW UP.

Things Lionel and I learned today.

A) Your pool swim improvement never transfers over to open water immediately (and it didn't) but it will come. He felt good about his swim even though there is still more work to do.

B) He is not ready to bike 376 watts for 90km and run fast. But he told me in the car. I WILL in the FUTURE eventually run fast after a bike like that (so I like his attitude).

C) He will put on socks in the future. His feet are torn to crap post race from bare-foot in his shoes. He told me, I saw Jan put on socks and I will in the future (good lesson)

D) He likely didn't take on enough calories during the ride (so more calories required).

E) He likely would have run 2+ min faster had he biked 1min slower. But he needed to know where his BLOW UP LEVEL was, and we found it today.

F) He had a poster on his wall of Jan Frodeno and 4+ years later he had the chance to RUN (even just for 5km) next to the Olympic and Ironman legend.
He looked right at home sitting next to Andy and Jan on the post-race media scrum. He knows he now belongs and Jan and Andy gave him the
respect he deserves.

G) He better understands what a warrior Andy Potts is, and why you NEVER count him out. Andy just kept nearby all day, waiting for Lionel to blow
and when he was vulnerable he nailed him. Great to see what a killer Andy is and great for Lionel to learn how tough the top 10 men in the world are.

H) We are sitting in the hotel room, post-shower, pre-awards and he can't wait to get back to training. He is hungrier now then he was before the race.
Its great to see his positive attitude.

Special thanks to Lionel's sponsors Skechers Shoes, Louis Garneau, Freshii Restaurants, C3, Cycle Culture, Computrainer, Nineteen Wetsuits, and the many coaches, atheltes, mentors and donors who have been behind his slow-but steady rise on the international circuit.

I think you saw today, that ANY race with Lionel Sanders (ie. the "Green Flash" they were calling him today for his 5+ min bike record) is going to be a knock-down battle. Numerous guys in the lead group were pretty wrecked on the 21km run because they were forced to ride harder when Lionel caught and past them at mile 37. The nice thing is that he is focused on Ironman Kona and see's the 70.3 races as purely hard, speed workout for the big event in October. I was very proud today to watch him GO FOR IT and BLOW UP. Champions have to be prepared to RISK and Lionel is not afraid to go for it. Triathlon fans should be excited for the 2015 season because I think you are in for one of the most amazing 70.3 + Ironman years ever with the depth and quality of the men racing 70.3 and Ironman. Kudos to fellow Canucks, Brent McMahon, Taylor Reid (Lionel's team-mate who was 6th) and Trevor W.

Regards
Barrie Shepley
Lionel Sanders Coach and Voice of the ITU
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff! Are you not doing Auckland ITU?

Excited to follow Lionel this season. Sounds like a very useful day.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local commentators will be doing the long-haul races in Auckland and Australia so I won't be there. 2 amazing race venues and I am confident the racing in Auckland will be as exciting as the racing was today in Oceanside.
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [coachbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing coachbarrie!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very nice race by your guy. I would say that if he did in fact learn a valuable lesson today, then it was worth it. And you really did not mention what i feel his lesson should have been, and it is one that took Mark Allen a very long time to learn too in Hawaii. I do not agree with you that he should not have ridden up to the group, but once he did, it was time to sit on the back of it. He tried to mash up those guys once he caught them, even went off the front it appears. I think that is where he did most his damage, not in a steady catch over the first 37. I postured during the race that perhaps they let him go, just to let him burn alone out there. And the fact that it was all closed down at T2, makes me think even more that was the thinking by Potts and Frodo.

Too bad his pool times did not translate to a OW swim, but often that is because the leaders in this race are ITU front pack swimmers. Most swims are dialed down just a bit from this one, and he may have made the group ahead. Pulling a trailing group is never a good sign of how your swim went, just ask Jordan about that one. I think that he is not going to train his way to making this strategy work, but needs to focus on a different one, one that doesn't have him trying to be the aggressor once he is in the lead group. If he indeed is one of the fastest runners in the sport(which it appears he is) then leave it to the run once you are in a position to go heads up with all the guys.

After 6 Hawaii starts Mark Allen finally learned that lesson. Why hammer the bike once you are in the lead group if you know on your day, no one is going to out run you? Now we really don't know if Lionel will be as dominant as Mark was on the run after riding with the leaders, but for sure once he gets with them, he needs to dial it back and give himself the best shot to beat all these current and ex ITU guys that run like the wind..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing that. Wished they had live coverage. It was an exciting race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He averaged 376 watts (for a 160 pound man)

Good god.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Minor correction, he didn't have the fastest bike split of the day Cameron Wurf did
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post Barrie, thanks for the details!

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coachbarrie wrote:
Local commentators will be doing the long-haul races in Auckland and Australia so I won't be there. 2 amazing race venues and I am confident the racing in Auckland will be as exciting as the racing was today in Oceanside.

Thanks for this thread. Excellent report.

I will miss your commentary on the ITU race. I look forward to your perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still a very grand performance, he is still a young chapie!!

I did expect him to run away from Frodeno! Next time
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [mvogt46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvogt46 wrote:
Minor correction, he didn't have the fastest bike split of the day Cameron Wurf did

iirc it was mentioned in an other thread that Wurf was 19 sec behind LS.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually yes sorry I stand corrected. I just looked at the cat rank on the results page and not the time, for some stupid reason thinking Wurf was in the pro category
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superhuman watts on the bike for sure, but I am kind of dissapointed that Lionel is not closer to the leaders out of the Water.
At 70.3 Worlds, he was 4 min 33 sec behind the leaders out of the Water.
Today he was 4 min 15 sec behind Potts. Thats still a lot of time to make up.
What will that translate to in a wetsuit illegal 3.8km Kona swim? 10-12 minutes behind the lead pack?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a Freshii on my campus. I wasn't aware of the sponsorship. I'll eat there next week and tell them The Colonel sent me.
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [brynjulf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brynjulf wrote:
Superhuman watts on the bike for sure, but I am kind of dissapointed that Lionel is not closer to the leaders out of the Water.
What will that translate to in a wetsuit illegal 3.8km Kona swim? 10-12 minutes behind the lead pack?

It is really hard to calculate. I can't stress enough how important pack swimming is in pro races so it really depends who else is on the start line. He could be anywhere from 4 minutes down to 16 IMO.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the problem adult onset swimmers have is that the swim isn't 1.2mi. the swim is 400 yards. that's the race. it's the race to get slotted in. once you have 60 guys in line, then all it takes is for 1 guy to let the gap open and then you've got a second pack. then a third, etc. no way can you bridge around a guy who let's a gap form.

so if you swim 1000yd in 11 minutes, and you know there are plenty of guys in the front pack who can't do that, this doesn't mean you can swim in the front pack. if they can all swim 1:55 or faster for 200 yards in the pool, and you swim 2:05, then you're not going to be far enough up to make the selection when the gaps form.

but there are workarounds and it's not so different from cycling. if there's some big horse who plows through the water and always makes the front pack, make sure you're next to him at the swim start, make sure you get on his feet when he swims past you, fight to stay on his feet, and treat the effort like a bike race. just refuse to get dropped. go almost all out if you have to when the pace increases.

open water swimming and bike racing are stunningly similar in tactics. i've known brilliant PhD scientists who were hard as nails on the bike, but dumb as a sack of hammers tactically, so they did great in TTs but sucked in mass start. i've known high school failures who were clever geniuses in mass start. just the same in the open water.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that is why I a race a ton of shorter races, aquathons, etc because Kona only comes one time a year and it is easy for adult onset swimmers to mess it up, especially at a high level. On another note, Maiki has an incredible knack for open water. Maybe someone should film him and watch what he does because he seems to always be able to swim way above his swimming paygrade.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think another lesson was learned today, how to beat Frodo. Frodo wised up and did not lead the bike pack this time. He sat back in legal draft range and let the bikers do the work. The problem is not many can beat him since you have to do it on the run. There are only a handful out there that can match him.

Awesome that he got to run with his role model. Like you said a little slower on the bike and he may have been step by step with him on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [brynjulf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel outswam me by a but today but I don't think a 1x gap for 1900m equates to a 2x gap for ironman. I wouldn't be surprised if he's 4.5min back again.

DCross check who he swam with today against Kona qualifiers

brynjulf wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but I don't think a 1x gap for 1900m equates to a 2x gap for ironman.//

I have not seen him swim, but i can imagine a lean runner type who was never a kid swimmer. He is going to suffer much more without the wetsuit, so not just the distance doubling, but losing that extra advantage he gets vs the top guys with the wettie. I don't think be 16 minutes like someone said, but it will be at least 8, probably a bit more. Keep in mind that Potts swims 48 like clockwork in hawaii, so 56+ would be a reasonable assumption for him there..
Quote Reply
Re: WHAT LIONEL SANDERS LEARNED TODAY IN OCEANSIDE [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Potts swims 51-52

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better go have a look at his past results, go back to his first race there and work forward. His usual swim in 48 on a normal year condition wise, he has done 47, and one slower swim 50+ on a really slow swim year. But 48 is his wheelhouse, not 51/52….
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I noted in our feedback of the race. The top pros are not going to improve a second in the swim. THey are already studs who have virtually no room to improve in the swim (but then again they don't need to). 47-49 min based on the water conditions in kona. Lionel is swimming much faster than his time showed today (in the pool) but I have seen year after year, it takes 6-12 months for pool improvements to translate to actual open water swim improvements. Today was his first open swim since Oct (as the swim was cancelled in Florida and he has been in cold-Canada for all but 7 days since Nov) so for a first time swim, I did not expect much.

We will be ready to swim 3-5min slower than the top pros in Kona. We expect to have to make up that kind of distance. ALl of his bike and run training are going towards having to make up that kind of gap. Anything faster (is likely un-realistic in 2015) and would be a pipe dream. So he was not thrown off today when he saw the gap. His problem today, he was actually pulling swimmers and was hoping to be on the back end of a faster pack (not the front end of a slower one). WIth one open water swim in 5+ months and not many open water swims in his career, he will just keep learning and improving. We were both satisfied where he is TODAY and know he has much to do between now and Kona (non-wetsuit, ocean-salt-water swim).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"We will be ready to swim 3-5min slower than the top pros in Kona. We expect to have to make up that kind of distance. "

you sound like Bill Smith, Spencer's late, great dad. "Did you see us kick Lessing's ass last week? We got of the bike with him, and then we ran him ragged until he couldn't hang on our shoulder anymore. But, it wasn't free, lad. We worked hard in training."

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next