Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ah, got it. If you aren't fast you don't race. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not trying to be rude but that's MY opinion. Anytime you want to beat a previous PB then you're racing that time, but racing others around you...? I don't think it's a race unless there is something to be gained by placing better than that other competitor. I guess you could be racing your training buddies and to me that is often the most important race! So I guess anyone anywhere can be racing.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What bothers me s when people on here always post their race times with questions.

"Hi, I'm a 4:30ish Half IMer and I'm trying to decide which water bottle cage to get." WTF does your Half IM time have to do with your goddam water bottle cage???

I totally get what you are saying and I don't completely disagree. But, being a participant isn't bad. Yes, there should be a cutoff on some events. But, what that cutoff is can be a raging debate.

I'm completely honest about my race times and always have been. I'm slow, I'm BOP. But, my slow body has accomplished a hell of a lot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [redtdi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always said - at IronMan there are about five guys "racing"...and they are way way "up there" (pointing forward)....the rest of us are there to participate. Being as I have always been there to participate, I prepare best I can, arrive on time and go out to play. The folks from Chicago in years past pretty much claimed that the RD at Chicago was pretty much out to kill them for being slow. All bullshit. And, no matter what there is no pride at all in a suffer fest. I can not think of one time in my playing the IM game since 1999 that I would ever tell anyone how "horrible" it was...but dont worry, more often than not the folks with these stories will follow up with how they made it past such terrors.

(oh, and had they just been PREPARED - there would be no horror as they would have been ready for what the course had in store for them)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Ah, got it. If you aren't fast you don't race. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not trying to be rude but that's MY opinion. Anytime you want to beat a previous PB then you're racing that time, but racing others around you...? I don't think it's a race unless there is something to be gained by placing better than that other competitor. I guess you could be racing your training buddies and to me that is often the most important race! So I guess anyone anywhere can be racing.
Hrm. So I guess the guys finishing 12th in any race in the Olympics aren't really racing, huh? Good to know.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have always said - at IronMan there are about five guys "racing"...and they are way way "up there" (pointing forward)....the rest of us are there to participate. Being as I have always been there to participate, I prepare best I can, arrive on time and go out to play. The folks from Chicago in years past pretty much claimed that the RD at Chicago was pretty much out to kill them for being slow. All bullshit. And, no matter what there is no pride at all in a suffer fest. I can not think of one time in my playing the IM game since 1999 that I would ever tell anyone how "horrible" it was...but dont worry, more often than not the folks with these stories will follow up with how they made it past such terrors.

(oh, and had they just been PREPARED - there would be no horror as they would have been ready for what the course had in store for them)
Chip, I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure I saw you sweating like a pig on the sidelines at IMOO while snapping away at "fatties."

Tweet WattsUpKarin Blargh
Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [PinkCrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was sweating like a pig! But, I was not suffering....had a few great spots too (like smack in the center of State St.)

What does sweating have to do with it? Oh, and I now regret not shooting a few of that guy in the speedo and wife beater...it was the pimples on his hind side that were just too much to take.

Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure you wont marry me?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished my first marathon today, and was thinking about this exact topic on the way home.

I finished in 3:34, 4 minutes off my goal and 19 minutes off a BQ. Not fast, I know, but I'm pretty damn proud to have finished. This time last year I couldn't run a mile and a half, seriously.

Before watching the leaders fly past my on their way back from the 1st turn around, I used to think that anyone qualifying for Boston was pretty quick. Now I know better.

The winner finished in 2:09, and there was a decent crowd in that absurdly fast stratosphere.

One of the first posts on this thread mentioned the 3 hour mark for being fast. Well, I'm a hell of a lot closer to the 3:00 runners than they are to actually being in the race. In fact, the three hour finishers get about as much notice outside their immediate family friends as the 5-6 hour finisher.

So really, unless your within actual striking distance of the leaders, you're not racing the marathon. Doesn't matter if you finish in 2:30 (men), 2:45, 3:00, 3:34, 5:00 or 6:00, we're all the same - racing ourselves and our goals.

Oh, and the course has a 6:30 time limit. I am all for time limits. If one person is out there two hours longer than anyone else then they need to re-set their goals and come back when their ready.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

....but the biggest joke about Chicago is the fact that folks were bitching about the "heat" as if it was 102+, then bitching about running out of water (they didnt), and bitching about everything - all while they were at less than mile 13 at HOUR 3! Shit, if one is going that slow maybe they should PREPARE and wear a CamelBack.

I'm not sure why you brought up Chicago, 2 years ago when it was hot and humid, 82F and high humidity, Chicago did indeed run out of water/gatorade at several water stops. I know many people who confirm that boper's and some late mopers were without fluids. Family, friends, and even the crowd did what they could to help people. People even ran into stores buying their own. I don't think anyone blames Carey for intentionally doing this, it was just poor planning in extreme conditions. If you pay $125 for a race you expect a minimum of water. For me, I was lucky it was about 36f when i ran chicago in 2006.

I don't have a problem with time limits, and people I know who are 6+ hour marathoners don't either, they just need to know the limit when the register. Some races allow them to start unaided an hour early. Keep in mind if you didn't have the BOPer's shelling out $125 for an entry for the big races like Chicago, they would not have the winners getting a big payday. So if you chase slow people away from th e race, remember that you are throwing out entry fees too. Sure there is a break even point somewhere, but with the tri's and marathons I've helped with there are usually only a few paid staff, medic, and police. Volunteers line up to be involved in good events like the chicago marathon and you don't have to pay them. Though I think my local tri race directors do give donations to boy scouts, track teams and other groups who volunteer. If they are there an extra 30 minutes, you aren't going to pay them any more.
Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hrm. So I guess the guys finishing 12th in any race in the Olympics aren't really racing, huh? Good to know.

Let's not include any professional competitions or world championships. However, I do feel depending on the event that there are TONS of athletes in the Olympics who aren't in the race and know it, but are likely going as hard as they can.

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight." - Slowman
Last edited by: redtdi: Sep 27, 09 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First - no Chicago DID NOT run out of water, nor sport drink...they didnt, that is just a fact.

And yes, RD's do give donations to boy scouts and the like. The police, ambulance and permits all cost money and are a loss at a point.

82 is still not that hot. Extreme - freaking please. I suppose that if I was 250lbs and out of shape it would have been extreme - short of that...folks were just plain unprepared.

Entry fee's also do not pay out prize money - sponsors do. If an RD depends on race fee's for prize money that is just a huge gamble.

As for chasing away folks who will do a 6+ marathon as compared to their entry fee opposed to the costs of keeping roads closed and police on the course....I would make the cut off 5hrs MAX if I was a marathon RD. It does not require much effort to WALK 26 miles in 5 hours - not even with a back pack, food, tent, sleeping bag and extra clothing. Now, if I was to pitch a tent and take a nap.....I can see 6+ at an open Marathon. Now, ride your bike some 112 mile first, and have your son in a push cart...I can see it.

Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think lots of the 3 hour guys are probably placing quite high at Scotibank in their age group (which is the level of "racing" I've been talking about). I think in some smaller marathons like the Toronto marathon in 3 weeks, 3 hours probably is a GREAT age group finish and possible top three. I checked 3:00:00 would have been third in 30-34 at Toronto last year.

Ken

Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I just hope the temps are not over say 72.5F as it will be SO SO SO hot so that the folks who cant run a half in under three hours will almost die...then again, if it is under 68F then the hypothermia will set in rapidly.

Sorry but it seems to me that more than half of the folks who are at a mary any more are just fat ass' trying to get a shirt and medal....looking to one day tell a story about the saga and suffering of their 11 minute pace "race".
Life comes full circle. Classic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you forget to take your medication again?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First - no Chicago DID NOT run out of water, nor sport drink...they didnt, that is just a fact. Were you there at every aid station handing it out? I'll believe people I know who were there and went without for multiple aid stations.

82 is still not that hot. Extreme - freaking please. I suppose that if I was 250lbs and out of shape it would have been extreme - short of that...folks were just plain unprepared. Have you run a marathon in heat? Most marathoners like 5o's cloudy with a bit of drizzle. Great marathon weather is bad spectator weather. 82 and humid wasn't even that fun for the spectators.

Entry fee's also do not pay out prize money - sponsors do. If an RD depends on race fee's for prize money that is just a huge gamble. In the major marathons they know they will sell out months in advance, kind of like im. 45,000 x $125 = 6.6 million in Chicago entry fees. the back third, 1.87 million, more than the purse. Do you really think it costs them $125/person? Back when I startred marthons in '82 you were luckiy to get a few hundred runners. There was no prize money of any value until the masses started doing marthons. Chase them away and you hurt the sport. I don't think the real foper's would like that.
As for walking 26.2 miles in 5 hours, I doubt many runners could do it unless they sent time preparing for it. Yes race walkers can walk a marathon in a little over 3 hours, but I think most runners would have trouble. I'd much rather run 26.2 miles than walk it.
Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did NOT run out of water...there was a WAIT at some stations, granted. But, oddly most of the folks who were bitching were at not even the half way point at 3 hours, a full hour after the "race" was over. Again (being as water was coming from the public water lines and from fire hydrants) they DID NOT run out of water.

The way I see it, Boston has it easy - they at least know the folks showing up have a reason to be there.

As for your math...if only it was that easy. You have any clue what it costs to close a road and hire cops? Entry fee's are not even a shadow in the dawn compared to real costs (here, an hour from Chicago it is $120 an hour, per cop - take that times a few hundred cops at Chicago rates. Add to that EMS, and on and on). Pretty much you dont have a clue (and have no reason to as you are not an RD).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think lots of the 3 hour guys are probably placing quite high at Scotibank in their age group (which is the level of "racing" I've been talking about). I think in some smaller marathons like the Toronto marathon in 3 weeks, 3 hours probably is a GREAT age group finish and possible top three. I checked 3:00:00 would have been third in 30-34 at Toronto last year.

Ken

I should have used some pink in the font, 3:00 is pretty damn fast.

But, the point I was trying to make was that no matter how fast you are, it is always relative to the competition you are being compared to. So, outside of the elite it is impossible to draw a line and say one side is fast and one side isn't. And, if you can't find a place to draw an absolute line, you can slide the relative line from 10:00 behind the winner all the way to the final stragglers.

This applies to all sports really. Take any men's league. I used to play beer league hockey that had divisions A through D. The A division is made up of top notch guys, many of whom came pretty close to the pros. The D division is pretty much beginners who didn't take the game up until later in life. But, they all compete hard, play to win, and are stuck with ice time at 11:30 pm on a Tuesday night because all of them, A through D, are guys who will never make it to the top but still love to play. Is there that much difference between them?
Last edited by: Dufflite: Sep 27, 09 18:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But, in running and Tri - they are on the same ice at the same time....that is what makes things a bit more fuzzy here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Let's not include any professional competitions or world championships. However, I do feel depending on the event that there are TONS of athletes in the Olympics who aren't in the race and know it, but are likely going as hard as they can.

Brilliant. So if I show up at a race and the fast people are not there and I win then I am racing but if I go back the next year, go a few minutes faster but a bunch of fast guys show up I finish 10th I am merely participating?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip, I ran that race. It was HOT! The Farmer's almanac reported 88 degrees max temp at Midway airport and I remember it was extremely humid (mean dew point was 62.5). That's pretty hot for any marathon in my book. It was probably hotter downtown with all the glass, buildings, etc..

http://www.almanac.com/...L/Chicago/2007-10-08

All the complaining, I agree there was water and lots of folks going really slow but I ran that race and the RD was not prepared for that heat. What baffled me was they sent out alerts all week warning about the heat and to be sure to take in plenty of liquids, then they didn't have enough gatorade. IM races are much better organized.
Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [saxman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good on ya. Not just for the heroic job of being a teacher, but for leading by example and actually inspiring others around you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very fuzzy.

At least fast runners don't have to be stuck in a late wave and worry about working their way through traffic, they can be at the other end of the ice so to speak.

I do understand where you are comming from I think. But I also think everyone has their own set of reasons for running and their results have to be taken into context with those reasons. Sometimes walking a six hour marathon is quite an accomplishment.

I guess I just haven't really run into people boasting about some pretty mediocre accomplishments. At least not in my new adult running life.

In Reply To:
But, in running and Tri - they are on the same ice at the same time....that is what makes things a bit more fuzzy here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If things don't work out with my husband I'll let you know. :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awwww hell...here in Rockford you will have no problem at all finding folks who could have easily survived Satan himself...yet, just by will alone made it to the finish line of that there marathon.

Quote Reply
Re: WANTED- A slow marathon runner is Chicago. [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Brilliant. So if I show up at a race and the fast people are not there and I win then I am racing but if I go back the next year, go a few minutes faster but a bunch of fast guys show up I finish 10th I am merely participating?

If you know in advance that there are nine people faster than you and there is nothing you can do about it, i.e. they're MUCH faster than you, then enjoy the day and try and set a new PB, 'cause you're just racing yourself. If you want to feel like your racing when you finish 85th out of 210 in Ironman then go ahead but I don't think you are. The only time I've ever felt like I was racing was when I was 3rd and first in my AG 'cause I was scanning calfs as I passed or was passed and was pushed to go a little faster as a result. I'm just one guy though and feel free to be "racing" when you finish tenth if it makes you feel better. I just finished 10th at the Muskoka 70.3 and I wasn't racing anything but the clock trying to break 5 hours.

Ken

Quote Reply

Prev Next